Windows 10: New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive

Discus and support New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently had my Win7 machine fail on me. The hard drive is fine, so I bought a new Win10 laptop. I want to transfer my files and programs over from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ravvinius, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Ravvinius Win User

New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive

I recently had my Win7 machine fail on me. The hard drive is fine, so I bought a new Win10 laptop. I want to transfer my files and programs over from the old Win 7 drive to the new Win 10 computer.

I have it mounted externally already. I can not boot to the Win7 external, to run Windows Easy Transfer.

Is there a way to do this easily?

:)

Ravvinius, Apr 14, 2019
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Apr 14, 2019
  3. GlynParry Win User
    Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Soedesh Win User

External Hard Drive and Windows 10

Best thing to do is to start from scratch as someone else in this forum also suggested.

If there is important data on your drive it is probably even best NOT to connect your external hard drive (or even an USB stick) at all to the Windows 10 machine.

You may lose your data along the way if you do so.

If there is important data on the external drive first do a backup in a different way.

For example by copying the files over a network (or to the Cloud) or by preparing a (brand) new external drive first on a Windows 10 machine.

Transfer the data from the old to the new drive on a(n) (old) Windows machine that has no issues.

Quote from the other user in this forum:

“The solution probably lies in attaching the drive to the Windows 10 computer and opening Disk Management. (Right click on Start and choose Disk Management.) If the drive appears as a raw dirve only, initialize
    it and assign a drive letter. If Disk Management does recognize it as a regular drive, delete the partition and create a new one. In both cases reformat the drive with NTFS. (Accept defaults) After all that, check it on the Windows 7 computer..."

Soedesh, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

1. New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive - Similar Threads - machine Old external

2. External Hard Drive/New Volumn

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive/New Volumn: This is further to the issue that I was in having with ejecting my external hard drive and getting the message that it could not eject because another program was using the drive.I have discovered that a while back I had made a volume with the letter E within the drive that...
  3. External Hard Drive/New Volumn

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive/New Volumn: This is further to the issue that I was in having with ejecting my external hard drive and getting the message that it could not eject because another program was using the drive.I have discovered that a while back I had made a volume with the letter E within the drive that...
  4. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive: I recently bought a new Windows 10 PC but kept the old hard drive from my previous Windows 10 PC. I bought the connector cable to plug it to a USB port in as if it were an external hard drive, but Windows keeps wanting to recognize it as a floppy drive. How do I get Windows...
  5. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive: I recently bought a new Windows 10 PC but kept the old hard drive from my previous Windows 10 PC. I bought the connector cable to plug it to a USB port in as if it were an external hard drive, but Windows keeps wanting to recognize it as a floppy drive. How do I get Windows...
  6. Connecting an old Windows 10 internal Hard Drive as if it was an external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. old hard drive and a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    old hard drive and a new computer: I have what I think is a basic question, but I'm not sure. I just bought a new computer. It has not yet arrived. When it does, I want to put my old SSD into the new computer because it has my programs, files, etc. My issue is that the old SSD has Windows 10 installed on...
  8. New system old hard drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New system old hard drive?: Hi, I'm building a new system soon, but I have a question. I just have this hard drive with Windows on it and keep the old drivers and everything. How can I avoid a new installation of Windows now? Can I just uninstall all the old drivers and integrate them into the new...
  9. new hard drive has win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new hard drive has win7: My old laptop has a new hard drive in which I had installed win7. This was a few months before getting notified about the termination of updates to win7. laptops. Anyways what I want to know is if installing win10 software on my laptop would be better than buying a laptop...
  10. Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove hard drive with old OS (win7): Hi I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC. But the PC doesn't boot up. I go to BIOS and choose the drive C: with the new OS (win10) but it doesn't boot up. When I connect back the E: boots up...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transfer win7 files to win 10 drive on same machine