Windows 10: New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive

Discus and support New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently had my Win7 machine fail on me. The hard drive is fine, so I bought a new Win10 laptop. I want to transfer my files and programs over from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ravvinius, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Ravvinius Win User

New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive

I recently had my Win7 machine fail on me. The hard drive is fine, so I bought a new Win10 laptop. I want to transfer my files and programs over from the old Win 7 drive to the new Win 10 computer.

I have it mounted externally already. I can not boot to the Win7 external, to run Windows Easy Transfer.

Is there a way to do this easily?

:)

Ravvinius, Apr 14, 2019
  2. Marco Gav Win User

unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Apr 14, 2019
  3. GlynParry Win User
    Old Hard drive to new hard drive

I now have my old hard drive converted to an external drive and am wondering what is the best way to move files from the old to the new. I was thinking of booting the old drive and saving the files I want to the cloud and then downloading them to my new
    computer. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

GlynParry, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Soedesh Win User

External Hard Drive and Windows 10

Best thing to do is to start from scratch as someone else in this forum also suggested.

If there is important data on your drive it is probably even best NOT to connect your external hard drive (or even an USB stick) at all to the Windows 10 machine.

You may lose your data along the way if you do so.

If there is important data on the external drive first do a backup in a different way.

For example by copying the files over a network (or to the Cloud) or by preparing a (brand) new external drive first on a Windows 10 machine.

Transfer the data from the old to the new drive on a(n) (old) Windows machine that has no issues.

Quote from the other user in this forum:

“The solution probably lies in attaching the drive to the Windows 10 computer and opening Disk Management. (Right click on Start and choose Disk Management.) If the drive appears as a raw dirve only, initialize
    it and assign a drive letter. If Disk Management does recognize it as a regular drive, delete the partition and create a new one. In both cases reformat the drive with NTFS. (Accept defaults) After all that, check it on the Windows 7 computer..."

Soedesh, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

1. New Windows 10 machine. Old external Win7 Hard drive - Similar Threads - machine Old external

2. new hard drive has win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    new hard drive has win7: My old laptop has a new hard drive in which I had installed win7. This was a few months before getting notified about the termination of updates to win7. laptops. Anyways what I want to know is if installing win10 software on my laptop would be better than buying a laptop...
  3. external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external hard drive: I don't know how to retrieve files from my external hard drive. On file explore there used to be a link to click. it's not there anymore. I have a Seagate https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/1136c02a-ab6f-48c4-8db1-71c2791ecc45"
  4. Remove hard drive with old OS (win7)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remove hard drive with old OS (win7): Hi I tried to remove the SSD drive E: with the old OS (win7) so I can use it with my old motherboard/CPU as a backup PC. But the PC doesn't boot up. I go to BIOS and choose the drive C: with the new OS (win10) but it doesn't boot up. When I connect back the E: boots up...
  5. Using existing hard drive in new machine

Using existing hard drive in new machine: Can I install my existing hard drive with win 10 pro in new machine so that I don't have to reinstall everything? Current machine is 8 years old but has i7 in it....
  6. Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10

Move old hard drive to new computer with windows 10: My old computer with windows 10 installed with a 1tb SSD the old computer has failed but the hard dive is still working, my question is how do I install the old SSD hard drive with windows10 installed on it to my new computer? The new computer is almost the same as the old...
  7. Installing a old hard drive with windows 10 on it to a new computer

Installing a old hard drive with windows 10 on it to a new computer: Hey everyone, So this weekend I will be building my first PC by myself after my old computer died. On my old computer I had Windows 10 installed on a M.2.. I'm wondering if its possible to just take that M.2 and put it in my new PC and have Windows 10 just transfer over?...
  8. External old hard drive not connecting on windows 10 Hp laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External old hard drive not connecting on windows 10 Hp laptop: I have a sabrent 2.5" hard drive usb 3.0 Enclosure which I used to try get my data from the hard drive of my old hp laptop(windows 7). 3 months ago I tried it and it didn't work then I tried to use my friend's computer which showed the hard drive but as unallocated location(...
  9. External Hard Drive (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External Hard Drive (Windows 10): Hello, I have been using 2TB external hard drive for a couple of months and at the beginning I had no problems with it. Recently I noticed that my hard drive was taking longer and longer to load and open up the files although I only had like 600 GB filled. Just now, the...
  10. Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovering Images from Old External Hard Drive: Just this evening I found the external hard drive used with our last PC. I have not connected it to our current PC in fear of making some dreadful mistake. My goal is to retrieve all jpg image files from that old drive. Note, I use File History to save files from our current...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. transfer win7 files to win 10 drive on same machine