Windows 10: New Windows 10 machine puts most home-directory stuff under ~/AppData/Roaming … why/how to fix?

Discus and support New Windows 10 machine puts most home-directory stuff under ~/AppData/Roaming … why/how to fix? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I seem to have done something silly setting up a new machine, and now almost everything is using C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ for the home... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/infinitebuffalo, Jun 8, 2020.

1. New Windows 10 machine puts most home-directory stuff under ~/AppData/Roaming … why/how to fix?

I seem to have done something silly setting up a new machine, and now almost everything is using C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\ for the home directory, while a small handful of programs are using the proper C:\Users\Username\ I would've expected.

Is there a way to reset things so that everything uses the C:\Users\username\ as the home directory, or am I going to need to wipe the machine and start over?

(After five years of using a Lenovo Yoga I like my touchscreen, but I'm starting to wonder if I should've just gone back to Mac...)

submitted by /u/infinitebuffalo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/infinitebuffalo, Jun 8, 2020
  2. Gtr-Stosh Win User

Huge Number of files in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft directory

Thanks for the help and guidance. If i go in command prompt to attempt going to the protect directory it Roaming\Microsoft directory, a directory listing shows me a different location or sub dirdctory list? I can only navigate to this directory via File
    Explorer.

Any command execution attempts just returns path not found errors if i include the Protect directory in any arguments.

Kind of weird.

Im jyst going to migrate user to new account and delete the old one. Thought that might be the easiest path to clear?

I am doing backup and image as a backup plan. Quite honestly due to amount of use it would probably not take too much time to just do a fresh install. Id bet if i had just started down that path it would have taken less time at the beginning.

Appreciate the suggestions, thx!

GS

Gtr-Stosh, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Gtr-Stosh Win User
    Huge Number of files in AppData\Roaming\Microsoft directory

Thank you for attempting to help but this command is not executing. Returns 'file or path not found error' (Roaming directory was missing)

I believe I understand what you are after so opened a command shell and executed the arguments directly in under the AppData directory.

Interesting thing, still returns "not path found"

A DIR command run in the ..\Roaming\Microsoft directory

on the Protect 'directory' returns an entirely different set of files that if I were to open under File Explorer? I am not at all familiar with purpose for the Roaming AppData directory and if this is normal or typical, like links.

Anyway, the command and arguments provided are returning any results. Will have to research what the options are meant to return, it's been quite a awhile since I have been directly involved in SysAdmin activities.

Thanks for the tries.

GS

Gtr-Stosh, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

New Windows 10 machine puts most home-directory stuff under ~/AppData/Roaming … why/how to fix?

AppData Roaming Files on single use computer

To research further about this concern, kindly answer the following questions for clarification:

• About the roaming function, do you wish to prevent Windows 10 from storing files on the AppData>Roaming folder?
    • If not, do you wish to delete some files on the AppData folder?

Kindly specify which kind of configuration you wish to perform. Meanwhile, we suggest that you check this

thread
    and see if it helps.

Kindly get back to us so we can assist you further.

Xylee Del, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

New Windows 10 machine puts most home-directory stuff under ~/AppData/Roaming … why/how to fix?

1. New Windows 10 machine puts most home-directory stuff under ~/AppData/Roaming … why/how to fix? - Similar Threads - machine puts home

2. appdata\roaming\serviceget\rarusak.dat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    appdata\roaming\serviceget\rarusak.dat: how do fix this problem , when i open task manager it said its from autolt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appdataroamingservicegetrarusakdat/bbb040d1-a568-44e5-8db4-8851270c304c
  3. appdata\roaming\serviceget\rarusak.dat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    appdata\roaming\serviceget\rarusak.dat: how do fix this problem , when i open task manager it said its from autolt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appdataroamingservicegetrarusakdat/bbb040d1-a568-44e5-8db4-8851270c304c
  4. Help with Roaming Folder in APPDATA

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help with Roaming Folder in APPDATA: hello i was trying to move my Roaming Folder from AppData to Drive D: but I set the location to D: instead of D:/roaming using "Change location" on the properties of the roaming folder now my entire Drive D: is considered as the roaming folder and all the folders and files...
  5. AppData Roaming

in Windows 10 Customization
    AppData Roaming: c:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\wjdvdtdI am getting this type of message on a black screen on the startup of the windows 10.so can someone please help me out what is the problem?...
  6. Deleting a folder in Appdata/Roaming/...

Deleting a folder in Appdata/Roaming/...: I've uninstalled a password manager app called ''Myki'' from my pc but it has still a folder in hidden Appdata/Roaming/.. i dont want any traces left because i need a fresh reinstall.. deleting a folder in hidden Roaming folder cause any trouble? actually i've deleted it but...
  7. appdata roaming

in Windows 10 Customization
    appdata roaming: y am I or it roaming??? **** is it meaning? I haven't moved for ages I only roam to the fridge bleedin confuses me this interwebby stuff does, giz a shout cheers https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/appdata-roaming/20a7b3de-7438-4266-94de-3ed825c78d75
  8. Activating windows on a mostly new machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activating windows on a mostly new machine: Hey! So i just upgraded my computer to a new processor, motherboard, and ram. I'm still using the same drives from the old machine but i did reinstall windows. I am now getting asked to reactivate windows... i know about the reactivate windows on new hardware thing but this...
  9. Windows 10 1903 Roaming AppData

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1903 Roaming AppData: Hello! I deploy windows 10 1903. I did the Group Policy with the Roaming Profile and assign it to UO with computers PC1 and PC2. Step1 First login User1 into PC1 i have Event Apllication two error - ID 522, ID 455. How much i turn on this GPO - i have errors. The...
  10. AppData Roaming folder

AppData Roaming folder: I have accidentally deleted my AppData folder and I can't recover it. I bought my laptop from UK and the windows and drivers were preinstalled in it. And I have not any disc form where I can redownload drivers or windows licensed version. what should I do even powershell is...