Windows 10: New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020

Discus and support New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has changed driver distribution and installation processes on the company's Windows 10 operating system in recent time. The company moved the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Oct 29, 2020.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020

Microsoft has changed driver distribution and installation processes on the company's Windows 10 operating system in recent time. The company moved the functionality to search for optional drivers from the Device Manager to the optional updates section of the Settings application, saying that it would improve the visibility of these updates to the user.

In August 2020, Microsoft revealed that "view optional updates" would be displayed on the main Windows Update page of the Settings application if optional updates, including drivers, are available.

These drivers can be installed manually by an administrator, but Microsoft suggests to only do so if specific problems or issues are noticed when using installed drivers.

Another change becomes available from November 5, 2020 onward for devices running Windows 10 version 2004. It changes the automatic driver installation process on Windows 10 version 2004 and newer machines.

New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020 windows-update-view-optional-updates.png

The process does not change for devices that are connected to the Windows PC for the first time. Windows will check for available drivers and install these automatic driver updates on the device to ensure that devices function properly once connected.

New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020 driver-updates-windows.png

The process changes for devices known to the PC already. While it is still possible to install drivers via Windows Update, these won't be installed automatically anymore on the device if available. Administrators need to seek out the optional updates section of Windows Updates to install these manually, e.g. when the installed driver has issues and no manufacturer driver is available or working properly either.

Microsoft decided to change the process of known device driver installations to give users more control over the entire process.

Now, to give users more control, Microsoft is redefining the way manual drivers are serviced for machines running Windows 10, version 2004 and later.

Basically, what it means is that less drivers will be installed automatically on Windows 10 version 2004 or newer devices.

The optional updates section is also the location that new feature updates are listed. While these are also listed on the startpage of Windows Update, along with options to download and install the feature update right away or to check out what is new, it is also possible to install the feature update from the optional updates page.

New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020 disable-driver-installations-windows-updates.png

New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020 do-not-include-drivers-with-Windows-Updates.png

System administrators may disable automatic driver installations via Windows Updates using the Group Policy.

1. Use the shortcut Windows-R to bring up the Run box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and select OK. If you are not signed in with elevated rights, hold down Shift-Ctrl before you select OK. You will be asked to provide the administrative password.
    3. Go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
    4. Find "Do not include drivers with Windows Update" on the right.
    5. Double-click on the policy to check it out in detail.
    6. Set it to Enabled.
    7. Click Apply.
    8. Click OK.

Windows 10 Home administrators may configure the option using the Registry:

1. Open the Run Box again by using Windows-R.
    2. Type regedit.exe and select OK.
    3. Confirm the UAC prompt.
    4. Go to the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
    5. Right-click on Windows and select New > Key.
    6. Name the key WindowsUpdate.
    7. Right-click on WindowsUpdate and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
    8. Name it ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate.
    9. Set its value to 1.
    10. Restart the system.

Now You: have you installed drivers manually in the recent past on your Windows PCs?

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Oct 29, 2020
  2. Jayce Win User

The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

I had the realtek error when using the installer, so I did these step and It Worked

1.Go Open up device manager
    2. Go under sound,video, and game controllers
    3. Find Realtek High Definition Audio
    4. Right click and hit update driver
    5. Browse my computer for driver software
    6. Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    7. Click Have Disk and hit browse
    8. Click on the Realtek HD Audio mod folder and look for win64
    9. Click on the HDXRT4 and click ok,
    10. Click Next and Yes
    After it is done, restart the PC

You should be good then and also make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled.

Jayce, Oct 29, 2020
  3. R-T-B Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

That doesn't stop windows update from grabbing them on next run, at least it didn't back in the RTM days. It simply stops a secondary process from installing them immediately.

R-T-B, Oct 29, 2020
  4. chispy Win User

Creative X-Fi Soundcards and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709 = Complete Disaster / Not Working

Thank you for trying to help , i did tried your suggestion but it did not work :/ , nothing seems to make it work on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update 1709. In the meantime i have bought a new SoundBlasterX AE-5 and it did installed flawlessly , no problems whatsoever. it is up to Creative ( drivers ) and Microsoft ( bug fix ) to fix this huge bugs with Audio.

Kind Regards: Chispy

chispy, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

1. New Windows 10 Manual Driver Updates process starts on November 5, 2020 - Similar Threads - Manual Driver Updates

2. Windows 10 Stuttering with new update apx. from November 2020

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Stuttering with new update apx. from November 2020: After receiving a few updates in December 2021, my AMD Ryzen / Gigabyte mobo based PC started "stuttering". Most noticeably video reproduction, especially films, would "pause" or "stutter" and take between from 3 seconds and 3 minutes to continue. The problem gradually...
  3. Windows 10 Stuttering with new update apx. from November 2020

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Stuttering with new update apx. from November 2020: After receiving a few updates in December 2021, my AMD Ryzen / Gigabyte mobo based PC started "stuttering". Most noticeably video reproduction, especially films, would "pause" or "stutter" and take between from 3 seconds and 3 minutes to continue. The problem gradually...
  4. Windows 10 Stuttering with new update apx. from November 2020

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Subsequent to a windows 10 update in november 2020

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Subsequent to a windows 10 update in november 2020: screenshots go directly to clipboard how do I paste from clipboard to pictures folder ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/subsequent-to-a-windows-10-update-in-november-2020/5c149c5f-fe79-4ef8-a7d5-c00b7c359b19
  6. 2020 Windows 10 November taskbar update

in Windows 10 Customization
    2020 Windows 10 November taskbar update: In the new windows 10 November update, the shortcuts that I pinned from websites to the taskbar now show as apps, it has a line underneath it like it is an app but I just want it as a shortcut. How do I change this setting?...
  7. Windows 10 Update - November 2020, India

Windows 10 Update - November 2020, India: My PC was stuck at cleaning up stage for more than one hour. Now, that it has turned on , it shows nothing but a cursor on a black screen https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-november-2020-india/7d4ab674-7742-4eb4-980c-b6734a333f32
  8. Windows 10 November 2020 updates: What’s new and fixed

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 November 2020 updates: What’s new and fixed: It’s Patch Tuesday, a day when Microsoft releases security patches for all supported versions of Windows 10. As part of this process, Microsoft has now released Windows 10 November 2020 cumulative updates and you’ll be able to download them using the Settings app. Windows 10...
  9. Cumulative updates - November 2020

Cumulative updates - November 2020: his is a summary of the cumulative updates released on November 10th for all the supported consumer releases of Windows 10. Windows 10 version 2004 and version 20H2 - KB4586781, Build 19041 and 19042.630 Windows 10 versions 1903 and 1909 - KB4586786, Build 18362.1198 and...
  10. New Twitter PWA update - November 5

in Windows 10 News
    New Twitter PWA update - November 5: We added support for events that are happening on Twitter! Check this out by clicking or tapping on the search icon. Direct message (DM) improvements: (1) you can now drag and drop 1 video or photo in a DM. (2) We improved the users recommended when you click on "Share via...