Windows 10: New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware

Discus and support New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Recent ransomware threats, summarized in a new Microsoft report, highlight the need for advanced security. Windows 10 integrates next-gen security... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware

Source: Ransomware 1H 2017 review: Global outbreaks reinforce the value of security hygiene Windows Security blog

:)

Brink, Sep 5, 2017

2. Petya/Goldeneye ransomware

Hi JM,

There are three specific steps you can take to mitigate against this new ransomware:

• Ensure you have the latest security updates installed.
    • Ensure you have the latest AV Signatures from your preferred AV vendor.
    • Do not open email/attachments from unknown/untrusted sources

For more information about how the Petya Ransomware works and how to protect your computers against it, please check out this Windows Security blog:

New ransomware, old techniques: Petya adds worm capabilities

Feel free to let us know if you need further information.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 5, 2017
  3. Windows 10 : USB thumb drives are unusable

I was referring to Andre's response re: Windows Defender Security Center which has a new setting to protect drives against ransomware that is off by default, but apparently anti-viruses can toggle it on and cause these issues.

Yes, you found the correct way to grant permissions to the stick. Sorry.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 5, 2017
Thema:

New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware

1. New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware - Similar Threads - security features protect

2. Problems with Windows Security Ransomware Protection - Solved

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problems with Windows Security Ransomware Protection - Solved: Windows 10.0.19042: I've had 2 apps fail due to the way Windows Security has implemented Ransomware Protection. 1ClickDVD would not let me register a new version and Microsoft Works (Word and Spreadsheet) would only allow me to open read-only copies, stating that the copy was...
  3. Locking a folder against ransomware

Locking a folder against ransomware: Can a folder be locked, with password protection, to block encryption ransomware from changing it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locking-a-folder-against-ransomware/47a14409-a217-4ea8-927b-017abec67810
  4. WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinSAT.exe blocked by Windows Security Ransomware Protection: Windows 10 Home 1909 Protected Memory Access Blocked for WinSAT.exe Protected Folder: \Device\HarddiskVolume3 I have been having problems connecting external hard drives (that's on another thread on this forum) and I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it? I've...
  5. windows security wont help with ransomware protection

windows security wont help with ransomware protection: So I was checking my security protector and it said I have not set up ransomware protection so I did exactly that I clicked the open one drive button to secure it but the button does not work and I cant set up a protection from ransomware please help. thank you...
  6. Protection Against Ransomwares

Protection Against Ransomwares: Does the Microsoft know all about ransomware? Microsoft's persons can catch them but...deal [Original Title: Protactions] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/protection-against-ransomwares/9dcfe6bc-8fa9-424d-a8cb-488a7095f186
  7. Windows Security Virus & thread protection warning for ransomware protection

Windows Security Virus & thread protection warning for ransomware protection: I have Windows 10 Home with all the updates installed as of 2019-11-30, 15:38 UTC. For a couple of weeks, the notification centre warning has been annoying me with asking to set up OneDrive, which I do not want to use. When I click on "Dismiss", I expect the warning to...
  8. MSE for Windows 7 protect directories/files against Ransomware?

MSE for Windows 7 protect directories/files against Ransomware?: Over the last update of Windows 10 ( Fall Creators Update) it seems possible to protect users directories and files against Ransomware. Why this functionality is not available over the MSE program settings on Windows 7 ? Or if it is how to enable it ? Vincent....
  9. RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar

RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar: Although there are programs to protect against ransomware, the best option still remains back up your files & make system images. *Wink Hoping to stop ransomware in its tracks, security firm Cybereason announced a new anti-malware security program on Monday called...
  10. Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware

in Windows 10 News
    Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware: Adopting reliable attack methods and techniques borrowed from more evolved threat types, ransomware attained new levels of reach and damage in 2017. The following trends characterize the ransomware narrative in the past year: Three global outbreaks showed the force of...