Windows 10: New Windows 10 update 1804 has done something strange to my personal files

Discus and support New Windows 10 update 1804 has done something strange to my personal files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm writing to ask how to fix an issue that has popped up after installing the new 1804 update. I installed the update last night and it took about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Corian5, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Corian5 Win User

New Windows 10 update 1804 has done something strange to my personal files

I'm writing to ask how to fix an issue that has popped up after installing the new 1804 update.

I installed the update last night and it took about three hours (I was able to watch the entirety of Skyfall and it still wasn't done). This morning I logged in to my computer under my regular account (for privacy purposes I'll just say it's called MyAccount). After going through the login shindig, all I saw was a black screen and my cursor. No icons, no desktop, no start menu, nothing.

So I scavenged around on the internet and went into safe mode, which brought all my stuff up again, and made a new account (which I will call TempUser). I switched back to normal mode and logged into this new account and everything was fine. So I go to get the stuff from MyAccount by going into C:/Users/MyAccount... firstly, I get the "press this button to get access to this folder" message, which does nothing at all. Opening Properties, it says MyAccount is an empty folder.

I was terrified. All of my work stuff was in that account folder which now seemed to have been erased. Angered, I went back into Safe Mode and lo and behold, all my stuff was still in MyAccount! Now however, it seems impossible to access these files in normal mode. After switching again I found I was unable to access TempUser. So currently, I can only access my files from Safe Mode.

Does anyone know what's wrong? Did I not do something right? Why has this new update skewered my ability to properly sign in?

:)

Corian5, Sep 12, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 12, 2018
  3. MP4 Personal Video files lag after August 2016 update (windows 10)

Hi Nicki,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Try few of the troubleshooting steps below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Video playback troubleshooter and check

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Video playback options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to copy the files from your computer to another working computer and check if you are able to access them.

This will let us know if the issue is with specific files types on your computer.

Hope it helps. Update of the status of accessing MP4 Personal Video files for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 12, 2018
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 Creators Update to Feature New Levels of Privacy Control

Just a tiny step closer before I'll upgrade to windows 10....

P4-630, Sep 12, 2018
Thema:

1. New Windows 10 update 1804 has done something strange to my personal files - Similar Threads - update 1804 has

2. Something strange with my win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Something strange with my win11: I cannot upgrade my win10 to win 11 and I have asked advice from this community. Then I followed the advised instruction and install a new win11 in a new 3TB harddisk.But I have some trouble with the new win11, it sometime stop running, the screen would freeze for 1 second....
  3. Something strange with my win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something strange with my win11: I cannot upgrade my win10 to win 11 and I have asked advice from this community. Then I followed the advised instruction and install a new win11 in a new 3TB harddisk.But I have some trouble with the new win11, it sometime stop running, the screen would freeze for 1 second....
  4. something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.: I set FE to display ext and hidden items. Randomly, both get unchecked. I recently added KSC Kaspersky AV. It is now randomly telling me the ext are not shown. When I look, both are still checked. I raised an issue with KSC and they said it is an unsolved known issue. That...
  5. something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.

something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.: I set FE to display ext and hidden items. Randomly, both get unchecked. I recently added KSC Kaspersky AV. It is now randomly telling me the ext are not shown. When I look, both are still checked. I raised an issue with KSC and they said it is an unsolved known issue. That...
  6. something strange is going on with File Explorer on one of my computers.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. File Explorer Has Strange Layout on New Notebook

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Has Strange Layout on New Notebook: I was looking at someone's new Lenovo notebook, and the File Explorer had a completely different layout than I've seen on any other Windows 10 machine. It didn't have the section on the left with This PC. Any ideas why or how to change it? Thanks. 180321
  8. programs and features has something strange?

programs and features has something strange?: I have something that says MaskVPN Global Media (Thailand ) Co, Ltd should I uninstall that? 170069
  9. programs and features has something strange?

in Windows 10 Support
    programs and features has something strange?: I have something that says MaskVPN Global Media (Thailand ) Co, Ltd should I uninstall that? 170069
  10. The recent windows update done something awful.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The recent windows update done something awful.: hello, My sister started to have an issue with windows 10. The recent windows update done something awful. When the update was finished my sister couldn't sign into her window's account we tried to restart the computer itself and then, everything seem to reseted for...