Windows 10: New Windows 10 version 1809 woes: no audio, bluescreens

Discus and support New Windows 10 version 1809 woes: no audio, bluescreens in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It seems that the twice per year feature update release schedule for Windows 10 is taking its toll when it comes to release quality. Microsoft had to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

New Windows 10 version 1809 woes: no audio, bluescreens

It seems that the twice per year feature update release schedule for Windows 10 is taking its toll when it comes to release quality.

Microsoft had to stop the distribution of the latest feature update for Windows 10 that it released on October 2, 2018 officially only days later after some customers reported that personal data was deleted during the course of the upgrade.

Microsoft confirmed that the issue and has fixed it already; the changes are currently being tested on the Windows Insider channel before the roll-out of the update continues.

The data loss issue is not the only issue of the October 2018 Update of Windows 10. Reports suggest that there are at least two additional issues that users may run into.

New Windows 10 version 1809 woes: no audio, bluescreens downloading-windows-10.png

HP Bluescreen issue

The first issue affects certain HP devices that throw a bluescreen error when HP's HpqKbFiltr.sys keyboard driver is used.

The issue reportedly happens after users install KB4464330 or KB4462919, the first two cumulative updates for Windows 10 version 1809.

Affected devices display a bluescreen error on load. While it is possible to restore an earlier version of Windows 10 using the advanced startup options, users may want to try the following workaround as it may resolve the issue on their end.

Microsoft confirmed the issue on the official Answers forum on the Microsoft website.

We’re aware of the issue and working with HP to investigate.

The workaround renames the keyboard driver that is causing the bluescreen.

• You need to get to the recovery screen. Windows 10 should display it on its own after some bluescreens.
    • Select Advanced Recovery Options > Troubleshoot > Command Prompt.
    • Run the command ren C:\Windows\System32\drivers\HpqKbFiltr.sys HpqKbFiltr.sys_old

The command renames the driver in the drivers folder on System32 so that it won't be loaded by the operating system.

Update: Microsoft released an update to the Update Catalog and published KB4468304 that explains the issue. Download and run the update on affected systems to resolve the issue.

Microsoft removed the driver from Windows Update on October 11, 2018 to "reduce the number of devices" affected by the issue and released the update which removes the incompatible driver from devices pending reboot. End

No audio issue

The second issue has received quite a few mentions on support forums; it causes audio output to stop working on devices.

Update: Microsoft released an update that removes intcaudiobus from the device. Check out the support page here or download the fix from Microsoft's Update Catalog right away.

This update addresses an issue where after installing the Intel Smart Sound Technology driver (version 09.21.00.3755) via Windows Update or manually, computer audio may stop working.

End

The message "no audio output device is installed" is displayed and speakers that are connected to the device don't work. Basically, when you try to play audio you won't be able to do so as the system does not recognize any audio devices on the system.

Two fixes have been posted on Reddit that supposedly resolve the issue.

Fix 1:

• Open the Device Manager on the affected system.
    • Select System Devices.
    • Find an audio driver that is marked with SST in its name.
    • Right-click on the device and select Update Driver.
    • Choose Browse from the computer. You may need to select "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".
    • Select High Definition Audio.
    • Click Next.

SST should disappear and audio should work again.

Fix 2:

The second issue is more advanced as it requires that you run commands from the command prompt.

• Open an elevated command prompt. Open the Start menu, type cmd.exe, right-click the result, and select "run as administrator" to do so.
    • Run the command pnputil /enum-drivers to enumerate all drivers.
    • Locate the audio driver, e.g. oemXXXX.inf that is listed under intcaudiobus.inf in the listing. Note that this is the driver for Intel audio and that you need to locate the right driver for your device.
    • Run the command pnputil /delete-driver oemXXXX.inf /uninstall to remove the driver.
    Closing Words

Both issues can be resolved by administrators on affected systems. Still, such a large number of major issues should make more users and admins cautious when it comes to the installation of new feature releases. (via Deskmodder and Windows Latest)

Now You: Have you been affected by any of these issues?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post New Windows 10 version 1809 woes: no audio, bluescreens appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Cr00zng Win User
    WMP for version 1809...

My Windows 10 N, version 1803 had used Windows Media Player via installing it from the "Windows_MediaFeaturePack_x64_1803.msu" file.

Updating to 1809 removed the WMP and no longer available in the apps list:

New Windows 10 version 1809 woes: no audio, bluescreens [​IMG]

There's an updated version listed at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ows-n-editions

But clicking on the link and looking for the 1809 in the drop down list of versions does not show the media feature pack available for download for 1809; instead it shows version 1709 and 1803.

Does anyone have a direct link to WMP for Windows 10 N, version 1809?

TIA...

Cr00zng, Nov 8, 2018
  4. Jayce Win User

The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

Everyone that post ids, need just do these steps and you will be good. I kinda tired of keep on uploading the inf. file

1.Go Open up device manager
    2. Go under sound,video, and game controllers
    3. Find Realtek High Definition Audio
    4. Right click and hit update driver
    5. Browse my computer for driver software
    6. Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    7. Click Have Disk and hit browse
    8. Click on the Realtek HD Audio mod folder and look for win64
    9. Click on the HDXRT4 and click ok,
    10. Click Next and Yes
    additional if you want dts audio and others, install it now before next step.
    After it is done, restart the PC

You should be good then and also make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled.

Jayce, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

1. New Windows 10 version 1809 woes: no audio, bluescreens - Similar Threads - version 1809 woes

2. DPC Latency woes - Windows 10 audio recording

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    DPC Latency woes - Windows 10 audio recording: Hello, As an introduction, I am nearly at my wit's end with this DPC Latency issue on my Windows 10 PC. I mainly notice this issue when recording or playing back audio within Reaper, my DAW of choice, using a Pre-Sonus Audiobox USB. What seems to be at random, I will have...
  3. Windows 10, new install, version 1803, waiting for version 1809

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, new install, version 1803, waiting for version 1809: Hello: A few days ago I brought a new build online with Win 10, x-64, version 1803. The new build is with up to date hardware including a Z390 mobo and i5 9600K CPU. Computer is running fine except for a glitch with the front-panel USB ports. Windows is activated and has...
  4. No Audio on version 1809

No Audio on version 1809: I've searched for the issue and came across the Intel SST driver, but this solutions don't work for me, since I don't seem to have Intel audio driver installed. I downloaded the Microsoft fix and it solved nothing. So, I have no Intel driver, but still no audio. Any...
  5. Windows 10, new install, version 1709, waiting for version 1809

Windows 10, new install, version 1709, waiting for version 1809: Hello: A few days ago I brought a new build online with Win 10, x-64, version 1709. The new build is with up to date hardware including a Z390 mobo and i5 9600K CPU. Computer is running fine except for a glitch with the front-panel USB ports. Windows is activated and...
  6. Audio issue after upgrading to Windows 10, Version 1809

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio issue after upgrading to Windows 10, Version 1809: I'm seeing an issue on multiple computers when I upgrade to the latest Windows 10 build (1809). It's a little funky on when it shows up but it's a pretty major issue for me and I'm curious if any one else has seen it. The main issue I have is that I'm trying to use Assigned...
  7. Window 10 version 1809

Window 10 version 1809: I need to know how to get "Window 10 version 1809" update. this update is not showing in my windows update tab. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/window-10-version-1809/3a0639b5-5afc-4e6e-a141-dd4dc824b980
  8. Windows 10 version 1809

Windows 10 version 1809: Hello everyone. Do you know if Microsoft will provide a fix for those who have manually installed Windows 10 version 1809? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-1809/50a38732-381c-4ebb-9e7f-9c45f6bc72f2
  9. Windows 10 version 1809

Windows 10 version 1809: Hello everyone. Do you know if Microsoft will provide a fix for those who have manually installed Windows 10 version 1809? Thanks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-version-1809/2a22641f-8d3b-4045-a0ba-1ad531861e9b
  10. Windows 1809 Woes...

Windows 1809 Woes...: OK, like a few others I'm one of the dim'wits who just had to upgrade like right now. Over all, I'm actually doing well with the new version. Like a few changes too. However, I've ran into a huge problem. Most all my Node.js based apps either will not install properly, almost...