Windows 10: New Windows 11 policy to enable features immediately

Discus and support New Windows 11 policy to enable features immediately in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is testing a new policy in Insider builds of the Windows 11 operating system that enable new features dropped via updates immediately.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 12, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

New Windows 11 policy to enable features immediately

Microsoft is testing a new policy in Insider builds of the Windows 11 operating system that enable new features dropped via updates immediately.

New Windows 11 policy to enable features immediately windows-11-enable-features.png

New features land in a number of ways in Windows 11. There is the annual feature update, updates using servicing technology, and also updates via the Microsoft Store. Microsoft calls this constant delivery of updates continuous innovation.

Back in 2019, Microsoft shipped the Windows 10 version 1909 feature update via an enablement package. What that meant was that the update was already on the Windows 10 device, but not yet activated. The enablement package, once installed on the device, would unlock the features of the feature update on the Windows 10 device.

One of the main advantages of the approach was that the update processed quickly in a matter of minutes. Compared to previous feature updates, which could take half an hour or longer to fully proceed, it was a speedier approach.

Microsoft used the same system to deliver all other Windows 10 feature updates that came after Windows 10 version 1909.

Windows 11 and continuous innovation

Microsoft plans to extend the core functionality in Windows 11 further "by releasing new features and enhancements into Windows 11 more frequently".

The features come via serving technology, e.g., a monthly cumulative update or Microsoft Store update, in addition to the yearly major feature updates.

In other words: monthly updates for Windows 11 may also introduce new features in the operating system. Features are rolled out using Controlled Feature Rollout, which means that the new features are enabled gradually.

Windows 11 Policy: Enable features introduced via servicing that are off by default

Microsoft created a new policy that controls these feature drops. On managed devices, all features introduced via servicing are not enabled by default. Organizations may use the new policy to enable these features on managed devices.

Administrators find the policy under Windows Components > Windows Update > Manage end user experience > Enable features introduced via servicing that are off by default in the Group Policy editor, or under Policy > Config > Update > AllowTemporaryEnterpriseFeatureControl (Configuration Service Provider (CSP)).

When the policy is set to enabled, all "off"-features that were delivered to the device using servicing are enabled on the next reboot of the system. All future features delivered via servicing updates will be enabled by default immediately.

Keeping the default setting or setting it to off prevents the early installation of these features. They will be turned on after a device is updated to the next annual feature update.

When an administrator switches the policy back to disabled after it was enabled, all features delivered via servicing will be turned off again on the next reboot.

The policy is available in Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 25295 at the time of writing.

Closing Words

The policy does not seem to apply to non-managed Windows 11 devices. These get features enabled automatically and the only recourse seems to be to block certain updates from being installed. The approach is not practical, as this would mean that security updates do not get installed on the Windows 11 device either.

Now You: which do you favor? Constant feature drops or one major feature drop a year? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post New Windows 11 policy to enable features immediately appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 12, 2023
  2. EddoX Win User

MSN News starts and then crashes immediately

I went back in your suggestions and tried this again. Still MSN News starts and fails immediately.

EddoX, Feb 12, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    Introducing apply layered Group Policy in Windows 10 and Windows 11

Source: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...y/ba-p/2608462

Brink, Feb 12, 2023
  4. New Windows 11 policy to enable features immediately

How to enable developer mode in Windows 10

Hi Roshan,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help resolve the issue.

For now, I suggest that you perform the steps below to enable Developer Mode via Group Policy and check.

1. Open Group Policy Editor and navigate to the following setting:

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > App Package Deployment

2. You will need to edit and Enable the following two policies

• Allow all trusted apps to install
    • Allows development of Windows Store apps and installing them from an integrated development environment (IDE

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Feb 12, 2023
Thema:

New Windows 11 policy to enable features immediately

1. New Windows 11 policy to enable features immediately - Similar Threads - policy enable features

2. Enable group policy edit.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable group policy edit.: How do I enable group policy edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-edit/b1b67a7d-433f-448b-894e-de19815d1e95
  3. Enable group policy edit.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable group policy edit.: How do I enable group policy edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-edit/b1b67a7d-433f-448b-894e-de19815d1e95
  4. Enable Group Policy Editor-Windows 11 Home

Enable Group Policy Editor-Windows 11 Home: How do I enable gpedit.msc in Windows 11 Home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-editor-windows-11-home/de701dd3-bf69-4dbb-a5e2-eb17940ff92f
  5. Enable Group Policy Editor-Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enable Group Policy Editor-Windows 11 Home: How do I enable gpedit.msc in Windows 11 Home? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enable-group-policy-editor-windows-11-home/de701dd3-bf69-4dbb-a5e2-eb17940ff92f
  6. Windows Defender's Real Time Protection feature turns off immediately after enabling.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender's Real Time Protection feature turns off immediately after enabling.: Hello. I recently uninstalled McAfee Antivirus from my PC. I went through all their steps, used their removal tool. For the first couple of weeks, everything was fine. After that, Windows Defender's Real Time Protection feature stopped working. I went into Windows Defender to...
  7. Windows 11 new feature problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 new feature problem: Why the icons of the taskbar keeps refreshing. It deselects the current tab which is super annoying. Can anyone suggest me how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-new-feature-problem/7cfd5fe3-56be-4b94-bc37-92e4654acba2
  8. Windows 11 new feature problem

Windows 11 new feature problem: Why the icons of the taskbar keeps refreshing. It deselects the current tab which is super annoying. Can anyone suggest me how to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-new-feature-problem/7cfd5fe3-56be-4b94-bc37-92e4654acba2
  9. How to enable the Group Policy Editor on Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable the Group Policy Editor on Windows 11 Home: Microsoft ships a useful tool called the Group Policy Editor, commonly known as Gpedit.msc or just GPEDIT, with the Pro version of its Windows operating system. It is handy for enabling or disabling functions of various elements in the OS, by changing Registry values, but in...
  10. Enable Group Policy in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable Group Policy in Windows 10: Have just read the the 'Local Group Policy Editor' is not included in Windows 10 home edition. 1. If true how to get it ? 2. What is it used for ? 62122