Windows 10: New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

Discus and support New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I had an issue with my boot drive in Windows 10 which ultimately resulted in me having to format and re-install windows on my SSD. Before doing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RogerRoger33, Jun 30, 2019.

1. New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

Hi,

I had an issue with my boot drive in Windows 10 which ultimately resulted in me having to format and re-install windows on my SSD.

Before doing so I unplugged my 3 HDD which are configured in a RAID configuration. Because the OS was on the SSD, I didnt want to have any risk of losing my data from my HDDs, hence remvoing these before formating the SSD and reinstalling Windows 10.

Windows 10 is now fully operational, but I havent installed my HDDs yet.

The question I have – can I simply plug my HDDs and Windows will recodgnise they are part of a RAID setup, or do I need to do some configuration on Windows to recognise the HDDs? I dont want to run the risk of losing any of the data on the HDDs, hence I havent plugged these in yet until I know how to go about it.

Thanks for your help

:)

RogerRoger33, Jun 30, 2019

2. HDD to new SSD Question

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD along side my HDD which currently has windows 10 on it, or course. My question is, is it possible to move that version of windows 10 on the new SSD and boot it from there or do I just have to run a clean version
    from the SSD?

Rodrick Boley, Jun 30, 2019
  3. Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, Jun 30, 2019
  4. robbyc Win User

New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

RAID 0 SSD Windows 10 Disk Read Error

I bought two new SSDs to be used in a RAID 0 configuration with a Dell 9020 under Windows 10.

Before the drives I arrived I configured two old HDDs in RAID 0 and installed Windows 10 as a clean install. This worked perfectly.

Once the new SSDs arrived I configured these in RAID 0 and started a clean install. Windows correctly identified the disk with the correct capacity and the install completed without issue.

When the computer restarts I got a "A disk read error occurred" error.

If I boot from the installation media to a command prompt I can see that the Windows files have been correctly installed to the C drive of the RAID 0 array.

I try fixing the MBR but this does not solve the issue.

I also tried loading the RAID drive during Windows install but this made no difference, and if it was the driver causing the issue it would not have worked with my old HDDs.

If I open diskpart I see that the drive is not marked as boot, which it is when I check these details on the old HDDs in RAID0.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

robbyc, Jun 30, 2019
Thema:

New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

1. New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question - Similar Threads - install SSD Raid

2. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  3. New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New windows installation not showing hdd/ssd: I am trying to install windows 11 onto my brand new computer except my power went out while we were installing it and now whenever i try to load it up it doesnt show any of my hdd/ssd’...
  4. HDD to SSD switch question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HDD to SSD switch question: I am planning a HDD to SSD swap project on a laptop. I plan to restore a disk image of the HDD from an external storage drive to an unallocated (brand new) SSD. Do I need to do anything about alignment on the SSD, before or after? 170564
  5. Windows 10 / Raid 1: "Optimize" shows HDD, NOT installed SSD's

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 / Raid 1: "Optimize" shows HDD, NOT installed SSD's: I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A COMPLETE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION: PLEASE, HELP! In my new Windows 10 desktop computer, RAID 1, Two SSD's, I see Optimize shows "Hard Disk Drive", NOT "SSD", and I want to be sure defragmentation is not applied to these drives, instead of the proper...
  6. Installing New SSD Questions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  7. Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...

Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...: I'm looking for a proper procedure of how I should do it. My scenario: Current HDD with 1TB space in 2 partitions(Drive C for OS and Programs, Drive D for documents,music,movies,etc). I've one M.2 SSD which newly installed(Samsung 860 Evo) and would like to make it become...
  8. Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...

Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...: I'm looking for a proper procedure of how I should do it. My scenario: Current HDD with 1TB space in 2 partitions(Drive C for OS and Programs, Drive D for documents,music,movies,etc). I've one M.2 SSD which newly installed(Samsung 860 Evo) and would like to make it become...
  9. Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?): Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is nearly 11 years old! And it's all installed on a single HDD [though a lot of my files are on an External HDD to save room])....
  10. Question about SSD RAID 0

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about SSD RAID 0: I have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I put in my personal laptop back in May. I also have a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO that I just put in my desktop a couple weeks ago. I'm thinking about wiping both, and using both in my desktop for a RAID 0 configuration since I don't use my...