Windows 10: New Windows installation shows legacy bios mode when motherboard bios says UEFI

Discus and support New Windows installation shows legacy bios mode when motherboard bios says UEFI in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; As the title states, I've just noticed this problem after attempting to enable Ultra Fast Boot on my Asrock B550m Steel Legend. I attempted to use the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ben_dover44, Jul 26, 2020.

1. New Windows installation shows legacy bios mode when motherboard bios says UEFI

As the title states, I've just noticed this problem after attempting to enable Ultra Fast Boot on my Asrock B550m Steel Legend. I attempted to use the windows boot to UEFI feature and noticed it wasn't listed. Any ideas on why windows would install with legacy boot mode? What can I do to change this? (Windows 10 Pro)

submitted by /u/ben_dover44
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/ben_dover44, Jul 26, 2020
  2. grumby Win User

Unable to enable Secure Boot as UEFI BIOS is running in Legacy mode

I have Windows 10 Insider preview installed on a custom built PC with an ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0 UEFI motherboard. The motherboard carries the Windows 8 ready logo, meaning it supports Secure Boot and has a UEFI BIOS.

When I installed Windows 10, I did not realise that the motherboard was actually running in Legacy Mode by default out of the box for the on-board devices i.e. the HDD, DVD USB are all running as traditional BIOS devices and not UEFI BIOS. Windows shows
    that the BIOS is running in Legacy Mode and that Secure Boot is not supported.

If I go into the BIOS settings, I can see that the Secure Boot option
    IS
    enabled, but Windows still shows that it is not supported. I tried changing the Boot devices to prioritise UEFI drivers first and reinstalled Windows (as a clean install is required if you want to enable Secure Boot), however Secure Boot was still
    not enabled and Windows still it shows as the BIOS as running in Legacy mode. I then tried switching off Compatibility mode within the BIOS settings, however after doing this no boot devices were detected, so I could not attempt to install Windows 10 again,
    either from USB or DVD.

Switching the compatibility mode back on allowed me to boot back into Windows.

I cannot find a way of turning off Compatibility Mode in the BIOS and still having boot devices available to install Windows from.

I have tried everything I can think of to get this working, but without success. I would like to have Secure Boot enabled as it is a important security measure and the reason why I purchased the motherboard I did when building my PC.

Please do not copy and paste replies asking me to disable my antivirus etc. or check for malware, then mark my question as Answered, as the Microsoft "helper" bots normally do!

Thanks!

grumby, Jul 26, 2020
  3. dac81048 Win User
    Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Jul 26, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

New Windows installation shows legacy bios mode when motherboard bios says UEFI

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

Windows 10 will install itself in the same mode that the installation media is booted in. If you boot the installation media in legacy BIOS (CSM) mode, then Windows 10 will create an MBR partitioned drive and install in legacy BIOS (CSM) mode. If the installation media is booted in UEFI mode, Windows 10 will create a GPT partitioned drive and install in UEFI mode.

Whether or not you want to convert your MBR install to GPT, and whether or not you want to convert your legacy BIOS (CSM) mode booting to boot in UEFI mode , or if you want to reinstall in UEFI mode is up to you. What do you hope to gain? Side note: converting the drive from MBR to GPT is not required to convert to UEFI booting. However converting to UEFI booting is required if you want to convert the drive to GPT.

What error are you getting when you try to restore your backup image, and what backup software are you using?

NavyLCDR, Jul 26, 2020
Thema:

New Windows installation shows legacy bios mode when motherboard bios says UEFI

1. New Windows installation shows legacy bios mode when motherboard bios says UEFI - Similar Threads - installation shows legacy

2. Cannot acces the BIOS in UEFI mode, only LEGACY

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot acces the BIOS in UEFI mode, only LEGACY: Hi,I've tried a lot of things like in this video How to Enter the BIOS / UEFI on Windows 11, even upgraded the BIOS, but nothing works. Currently, I'm using win11PRO as operating system.The laptop model is Asus Vivobook 15 X512DK.Do you have other ideas? I want to access the...
  3. Cannot acces the BIOS in UEFI mode, only LEGACY

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot acces the BIOS in UEFI mode, only LEGACY: Hi,I've tried a lot of things like in this video How to Enter the BIOS / UEFI on Windows 11, even upgraded the BIOS, but nothing works. Currently, I'm using win11PRO as operating system.The laptop model is Asus Vivobook 15 X512DK.Do you have other ideas? I want to access the...
  4. Bios swap legacy to uefi

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bios swap legacy to uefi: Motherboard/cpu upgraded ready for win 11. How to reinstall win 10 digital license to use new uefi bios. No facility for doing this. only gives option for retail licence install of win 10.trying to get system ready for win 11 but this is an obstacle to installation...
  5. BIOS MODE UEFI

BIOS MODE UEFI: MY PC DOES NOT SUPPORT BIOS MODE UEFI HOW TO SUPPORT THE UEFI IN MY PC INSPIRON 15 5558 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bios-mode-uefi/ac6086ce-66ea-4ac5-a024-1fecbf1aa88a
  6. Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Legacy To UEFI BIOS problem: I have a DELL Optilex 990 so when I go to my bios I go to Boot Sequence then I switch to UEFI and the Boot Sequence is empty. When I boot up my Device it says no bootable devices found. How do I fix this. Please tell me the file path to Windows Boot Manager because I still...
  7. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  8. BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?

BIOS mode as Legacy or UEFI?: My Windows 10 says its BIOS mode is Legacy with C drive partition as MBR. Is it worth switching to UEFI mode with C drive as GPT partition? Why does it seem so difficult to install to UEFI mode with GPT partition? You do not get an option to choose when you install windows 10...
  9. EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......

EFI, UEFI, Legacy BIOS.......: This weekend I will try to do a clean install of Win 10 again, from Win 7. Have to try som new methods to see if I can get my computer running flawlessly with Windows 10. I will use the clean install tutorials from this forum. I hav two options, with or without UEFI...
  10. Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode

Install Windows 10 with BIOS Legacy Mode: hi currently windows 10 is installed with UEFI mode in my ASUS notebook. the harddisk is in GPT partitioning style. so when i turn on my notebook, i am getting ASUS logo while booting up instead of the blue coloured windows logo. [img] (this pic is not from my...