Windows 10: New Windows Update makes my hard drive unbootable

Discus and support New Windows Update makes my hard drive unbootable in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 7559) using Windows 10 keeps trying to install the update: 2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PJBakhtiar, Sep 24, 2018.

1. New Windows Update makes my hard drive unbootable

My laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 7559) using Windows 10 keeps trying to install the update:

2018-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4464218)

The installation never finishes, but then tries to roll back the changes, restarts, and then BIOS says "no boot device found"

As a workaround, I have to use a bootable Windows USB stick, run startup recovery using the repair tools, and then the rollback of the Windows Update continues, and I eventually get back into Windows.

This has become annoying because every few days my laptop forces this Windows Update, which "crashes" my laptop, making me go through the repair process again.

Has anyone encountered this issue? If so, can you please point me in the right direction?

:)

PJBakhtiar, Sep 24, 2018
  2. little cat, Sep 24, 2018
  3. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Sep 24, 2018
  4. New Windows Update makes my hard drive unbootable

Unable to access external hard drive after Anniversay Update on Windows 10

Hello,

Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your devices?
    • What is the complete error message/ error code while trying to access the hard drive?

Step 1: As a workaround, I suggest you to do the following to detect the issue:

• Connect the hard drive to different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Connect different hard drive to the same port and check.
    • Connect different hard drives to different ports and check.

Step 2: If the device is not detected on your computer try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter

Step 3: I suggest you to contact the device manufacturer's website, download the latest chipset drivers, install them manually and check if it helps.

Installing the latest chipset drivers will help you to install the drivers for USB ports.

Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa to install drivers in compatibility mode manually :
    How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Try the above and update us the status of accessing external hard drive for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Sep 24, 2018
Thema:

New Windows Update makes my hard drive unbootable

1. New Windows Update makes my hard drive unbootable - Similar Threads - Update makes hard

2. Hard drive froze, then became unbootable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive froze, then became unbootable: I have to confess, I may have gotten a virus or malware from a ****. Clicking one of the videos may have caused the problem. At first, it was video that kept pausing, then after almost an hour of being patient with the video, my internet got cut off. I thought my ISP was...
  3. Hard drive froze, then became unbootable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive froze, then became unbootable: I have to confess, I may have gotten a virus or malware from a ****. Clicking one of the videos may have caused the problem. At first, it was video that kept pausing, then after almost an hour of being patient with the video, my internet got cut off. I thought my ISP was...
  4. Hard drive froze, then became unbootable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. new hard drive

new hard drive: I have just installed a new hard drive as the old one was running slow i transferred everything over but it would not move the windows part so cannot start up pc without the old hard drive...
  6. Can I make my new SSD a boot drive without formatting the hard drive?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I make my new SSD a boot drive without formatting the hard drive?: An SSD was just recently installed into my laptop and in order to make the ssd the boot drive the store clerk said that they have to format the hard drive. They said I can move important files into the ssd then format the hard drive. Is there a way for me to make the ssd a...
  7. Windows Update makes system unbootable

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update makes system unbootable: Before the update my Razer hardware stopped working with windows but worked everywhere else installation and recovery. even UEFI Mouse didn't move the cursor, headset - no issues, only software doesn't see it. However I couldn't install the driver because installers...
  8. Recover Windows 10 Mail app emails from unbootable hard drive

Recover Windows 10 Mail app emails from unbootable hard drive: Is there a way to pull the emails from a problematic drive and transfer it to a new installation? Unbootable drive was running Windows 10. Email application was the Windows 10 Mail app. A Microsoft Live account was not used local account....
  9. The updated from Microsoft killed my hard drive, I'm Installing a new hard drive into my...

The updated from Microsoft killed my hard drive, I'm Installing a new hard drive into my...: The updated from Microsoft killed my hard drive last year (UGHH), I'm installing a new hard drive into my Samsung notebook 7 I got the Seagate 2TB. So now months later, I finally got a new hard drive. How do I install the factory settings for Samsung Notebook 7 and install...
  10. New Hard Drive

New Hard Drive: I am looking to replace my current hard drive with a better one, and I am unsure on where to go/what to do on going about to install Windows 10 (Pro, to be exact.) back onto my PC with the new hard drive. Where would I go to download an installer and what would I do? I have a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows update has caused the drive to be unbootable