Windows 10: New windows update messed up my function keys

Discus and support New windows update messed up my function keys in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So like other laptops my f1-12 keys are tied to changing things. (F1 mutes volume, F11 dims brightness, ect.) But after my laptop updated last night... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Spinhook21, Nov 12, 2020.

1. New windows update messed up my function keys

So like other laptops my f1-12 keys are tied to changing things. (F1 mutes volume, F11 dims brightness, ect.) But after my laptop updated last night now to use any of these keys I have to hold the function button to get them to work. Is there a way to change this? Or am I just out of luck?

submitted by /u/Spinhook21
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Spinhook21, Nov 12, 2020

2. alt-key functionality

Hi Steven,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps:

• Single Click on the file.
    • Tap F2 ( Function Key).
    • Then type the name and enter.
    Hope this answers your query and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Andria Maria Mendez, Nov 12, 2020
  3. Function Key Not Working

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the F key on your device. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Form when are you facing this issue and have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you performed?

If you are using external keyboard, I suggest you to connect the keyboard to different port and to different computer and check if it is working fine.

This will help us to know if the issue is with port/ computer the keyboard is connected to or the keyboard it self.

If you are using laptop keyboard, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter it
    checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right click on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software
    • Restart the computer.

Hope it helps. Try the above and het back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Nov 12, 2020
  4. 3Colors Win User

New windows update messed up my function keys

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond New windows update messed up my function keys :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

New windows update messed up my function keys

1. New windows update messed up my function keys - Similar Threads - update messed function

2. Keyboard keys messed up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard keys messed up: yesterday i was playing a game on my laptop and my keys ''g'' and ''h'' weren't working at all but later they started typing again so i just assumed it was just because of the game but today when i press said keys they either get typed in 2-3x times even tho i press them just...
  3. New Windows 11 Update messed up my audio

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Windows 11 Update messed up my audio: I updated my Windows 11 to Version 22H and now my audio is bugged and will go soft then loud constantly. I tried unplugging then replugging in my headphones, tried using earbuds but it's still the same.Everything I have tried doesn't work, tried muting then unmuting but it...
  4. New Windows 11 Update messed up my audio

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New Windows 11 Update messed up my audio: I updated my Windows 11 to Version 22H and now my audio is bugged and will go soft then loud constantly. I tried unplugging then replugging in my headphones, tried using earbuds but it's still the same.Everything I have tried doesn't work, tried muting then unmuting but it...
  5. New windows ten update messed up my files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New windows ten update messed up my files: Hello there! As you know a new version if windows was released and everyone had updated to that version but something is really off with it. My files arent in the right places anymore and things with my home screen have been enlarged i fixed that and my laptop is just acting...
  6. My keyboard keys are messed up...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My keyboard keys are messed up...: Hii... I have a Gamdias Hermes M1 and i'm having an issue where if i press my backspace on that keyboard it types a 5... And Hera is'nt working... I'm now typing with another keyboard, but is there maby a way to clear the memory on my keyboard? I think that hera malfunctioned...
  7. Windows key function is messed up!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows key function is messed up!: Hello tech geniuses, OS: Win 10 Pro x64 Hope you may help! My Windows Key functions have changed for no apparent reason and I find no information of how to change it back to default settings. Example of what I want: [Windows Key] + [E] = Open Explorer [Windows Key] +...
  8. New sign on screen and update mess up

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    New sign on screen and update mess up: Sort of a trivial question, but what happened to the beautiful pics that would fill my screen when I first log on to my laptop? Yes, I did get the new update and lost a bunch of programs. Tried system restore to no avail. Finally, just reloaded all the missing programs,...
  9. Windows update keeps messing up my new desktop?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update keeps messing up my new desktop?: I bought an HP Pavillion Gaming Desktop 690-0020 in July 2018. After like 2 days, my computer updated and was resarting, the hp logo finished loading but the screen remained black. I waited hours because I thought it was just loading and I should give it a chance. Nope,...
  10. New update messes my start menu up

in Windows 10 Support
    New update messes my start menu up: I tested to see if my menu works before I installed the new update, and it was working. After restart for the update I checked it again and it's missing. What is up with these updates that keep removing my start menu? This is getting to be a pain and to think I liked windows...