Windows 10: Newbie Backing Up 2 Drives in PC

Discus and support Newbie Backing Up 2 Drives in PC in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I'm a senior with very limited knowledge about PC technical procedures, terminology etc. and could sure use some help backing up my PC so if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Subtones, May 28, 2021.

1. Subtones Win User

Newbie Backing Up 2 Drives in PC

Hi Guys, I'm a senior with very limited knowledge about PC technical procedures, terminology etc. and could sure use some help backing up my PC so if it breaks down, I can recover everything (even the layout of all my desktop icons if possible). I have two internal drives, a 120 gig solid state (SSD?) with 58 GB free on it and a 1 TB regular spinning (HDD?) with 735 GB free on it. When I bought it (in around 2014), the store put Windows 10 on the SSD and set it up so that the rest... pictures, documents and music etc... go on the regular HDD. I bought a 1 TB external Seagate Backup Plus Slim to back everything up on and managed to plug it into a USB slot. Under "My Computer, Local Disk C, which I guess is the SSD, it says it has these files: Boot, Brother (my printer?), Intel, Logs, NPE, Perflogs, Program Files, Program Files x86, Users, Windows, AVScanner and Reflect_Instal.log D Drive is the HDD with my documents, music etc, and F Drive is the Backup Plus. I tried using Windows system backup but it says it won't even back up the SSD C drive. I gave that up, went on line and got Macrium Reflect free version to see if that would work, but after reading some instructions and UTube clips about it, I'm totally lost. I have no idea what a partition or boot up is or if I need them, if it's even possible to backup the SSD using Macrium, and once a backup is made, how I would be able to restore everything if one of the hard drives dies. Also, I'm not sure if I still have the Windows 10 serial number or whatever is needed to reload it if the SSD dies. Can someone with some patience walk me through this? Thanks!

:)

Subtones, May 28, 2021
  2. ship69 Win User

Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

Help! Should I "clone" or "image" my PC's HDD? (It seems to have 2 partitions - I guess one contains Window 8.1...)

J

ship69, May 28, 2021
  3. popsean Win User
    Newbie, looking for new graphics card.

I am currently having problems with my 4870s noise.
    In my honest opinion, its just too damn loud.

Getting to the point, i am looking for a new video card that is
    • Quiet/silent
    • Decent power
    • around 120 dollars or less.
    • Dual dvi outputs for 2 monitors
    • Easy/Low maintenance
    • Not a puzzle to install
    Im going to buy a new video card very soon, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

popsean, May 28, 2021
  4. Newbie Backing Up 2 Drives in PC

File back up to bitlockered external drive

Thanks John.

By trial and error the solution is,

• Set the file back up to the desired external USB drive, Back up using file history.
    • Run backup to completion.
    • Dismount, (Remove) the drive used.
    • Remount (Plug in) the drive used for the file back up (Steps 1&2) and encrypt using Bitlocker.
    Note you can only encrypt drives using some versions of Windows (Pro for eg not Home)

• Once the external drive has been encrypted dismount.
    • Remount the drive, go to the file back up option, Open, Settings, Backup,
      Back up using file history
    • The drive should now still be visible and has been encrypted.
    • Accessing the drive will be dependant on how it was set up in Bitlocker,
      Open with this PC, password, pin code
      etc.
    • Repeat file back up as in the first two steps.

Hope this helps someone else.

Martin Holme, May 28, 2021
Thema:

Newbie Backing Up 2 Drives in PC

1. Newbie Backing Up 2 Drives in PC - Similar Threads - Newbie Backing Drives

2. Back UP Part 2

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Back UP Part 2: Lets try this again and see if I can get some better advice.Whole 10 System BACK UPCurrent Computer HD Win10 - 300GB HD [250GB in use]Using External 500 2.5 External HDD - partitioned 300/200Purpose a full working back p that can be plugged in to restore the current HD just...
  3. Back UP Part 2

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Back UP Part 2: Lets try this again and see if I can get some better advice.Whole 10 System BACK UPCurrent Computer HD Win10 - 300GB HD [250GB in use]Using External 500 2.5 External HDD - partitioned 300/200Purpose a full working back p that can be plugged in to restore the current HD just...
  4. Back UP Part 2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. USB drive showing up as 2 Drives on PC [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    USB drive showing up as 2 Drives on PC [Fix]: [IMG]Some Windows users have complained that when they connect a USB drive to their Windows PC, the USB drive shows up as 2 different drives when they plug it in. If you are facing the same issue, we have you covered with all working fixes. So, check out below. Fix USB drive...
  6. Backing up from multiple drives in PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Backing up from multiple drives in PC: I have three drives in my PC: two SSD and one hard. OneDrive, of which I am a new user, is backing up only from the first and smallest of these. How do I configure it to make copies of the files on the other two drives?...
  7. Back up drive

Back up drive: Hi, I bought a KESU-2518 external hard drive for the purpose of moving files from my MacBook pro to my new dell XPS 13 runs windows 10. It is supposed to be compatible with both mac and windows uses EXFAT format. I didn't have any problems moving files on to it from my mac....
  8. Backing up data from 2 internal hard drives

Backing up data from 2 internal hard drives: I have two internal hard drives one for data and one for photographs and I would like to know how to back this data up to 2 separate hard drives again one for data and one for photographs. Is there anyway of doing this? I don't believe it can be done with the s/w built into...
  9. Backing up 2 pc's on one external drive using windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Backing up 2 pc's on one external drive using windows 10: I'd like to know how to backup 2 different PC's (one laptop and one desktop) onto a single external drive, and any issues I might encounter doing so. I'll want to do a system image, and file history and any other of all I can using the Win 10 backup and recovery software for...
  10. 2 computer problems HELP newbie here

in Windows 10 Support
    2 computer problems HELP newbie here: Iam a newbie. I have 2 problems. I got Windows 10 iam trying to do a system reset to windows 8 my original when i got this laptop, with no luck. I have went the correct ways for reset. This is exactly what it says, i tried to do a screenshot, it wont show that screenshot (...