Windows 10: Newbie question

Discus and support Newbie question in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Actually I am not entirely new to backups but I have always had this mind block about backing up I have several back up programs--GFI and AOMEI. And... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by DWFII, Nov 7, 2019.

1. DWFII Win User

Newbie question

Actually I am not entirely new to backups but I have always had this mind block about backing up

I have several back up programs--GFI and AOMEI. And a I had a backup scheme set up under Win 7. But having upgraded to Win 10 I need to revise and perhaps create a whole new back up.

I have my main system on an SSD and several partitions on a separate hard drive.

So...My first inclination is to do a system back up with AOMEI but I'm not sure how extensive that will or should be. I just want to be able to restore the system to the last good state if a virus or a bug takes it down.

Now I am operating under the assumptions that setting a 'system restore point' will do the same thing. Is that correct? At which point creating a system back up with a third party app seems overkill and unnecessary. Is that correct?

As for the rest, most of my data (and some apps) are on the partitions. If I do a partition back up, AOMEI doesn't seem to give me the option to only back up parts of it. Iddeally I'd like to back up certain files, call it drive "F full" and then set up a differential or incremental back up that will run once a week to catch new or changed files. Does this sound like a good plan?

I think GFI does mostly the same things that AOMEI does except for the system backup (although it will back up registry and user settings) but AOMEI seems easier to use.

Any help,advice, corrections or cautionary tales will be much appreciated. I could use some schooling in this regard and welcome all input.

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    CPU: i7-4770k @350GHz
    Ram: 16GB
    Graphics: Radeon 580 8GB vram
    Winver 1903 OS Build 18362.418

:)

DWFII, Nov 7, 2019
  2. popsean Win User

Newbie, looking for new graphics card.

I am currently having problems with my 4870s noise.
    In my honest opinion, its just too damn loud.

Getting to the point, i am looking for a new video card that is
    • Quiet/silent
    • Decent power
    • around 120 dollars or less.
    • Dual dvi outputs for 2 monitors
    • Easy/Low maintenance
    • Not a puzzle to install
    Im going to buy a new video card very soon, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

popsean, Nov 7, 2019
  3. Stephanie Win User
    Stephanie, Nov 7, 2019
  4. Hard Core Win User

Newbie question

Core2Duo E6300 - Overclocking for newbies

Hey HeUeR..

I started this thread wondering if there was anyone willing to help newbies (like me) in the whole overclocking thing, in order to learn how to OC the Core 2 Duo E6300 processor with a step-by-step guidance.

Even though this thread has been read over 6.000 times, it is not very useful (in my opinion) since the discussion has been made on overclocking the Intel Core2 duo E6300 processor on the Intel D946GZis motherboard.

So, HeUeR, could you please post -in a step-by-step guidance- how you overclocked yours, in order to help others newbies and to make this thread more interesting...*Rockout :rockout:

Many thanks and please post some pictures if you can... *Toast :toast:

Hard Core, Nov 7, 2019
Thema:

Newbie question

1. Newbie question - Similar Threads - Newbie question

2. Question for an OS newbie regarding windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question for an OS newbie regarding windows 10: I might need to swap out a hard drive that could possibly be failing. I've noticed a very faint ringing noise that can sometimes be heard when my laptops idle. It may just be something I never noticed but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I recently upgraded to 10 only a few...
  3. Newbie buying Dell desktop some basic questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Newbie buying Dell desktop some basic questions: I am an 88 year old Win 7 Pro desktop user. Now purchasing a Dell Model i3670-5575BLK-PUS (9th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-9400 Processor 2.9GHz). Questions: 1.Wondering if there is a newbie instruction guide for those of us moving from a Win7 pc to Win 10 Home pc. If so can someone...
  4. newbie question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    newbie question: If I set up a Windows 10 VM on a Windows 10 Pro system and install Windows 7 Pro on the VM (need to run legacy programs like CorelDraw X4, WordPerfect X4, etc.) , and then network that system to another Windows 10 Pro system, will I have problems with any of the following:...
  5. newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended: So I'm not exactly a newbie, but recently I have been very, very pressed for time,*Shock so I can't do my usual "try it and see what works." But I know that the longer I put off all these updates, the more problems I will have, and I want to get these updates done and behind...
  6. Win 7 to Win 10 Newbie Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 7 to Win 10 Newbie Questions: Hi All. I’m new here, but have received a lot of help over in the Windows SevenForums side of things. I’m also totally new to Win 10 other than hearing a ton of horror stories about it. So, with the end-of-life for Win 7 coming soon, I have to pull my head out of the sand and...
  7. Sandboxing Newbies Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sandboxing Newbies Questions: Hi I have been searching the web trying to learn what I can about sandboxing. However, I am finding it all a bit confusing since there does not appear to be anyone who has put up any guidnce for beginners in sandboxing. Yes, I've learnt what sandboxing is and what it...
  8. Simple Newbie Question About "Photoshopping"

Simple Newbie Question About "Photoshopping": I don't have photoshop, only MS Paint on my Windows 10 computer. I never photoshopped anything and have absolutely no experience in these type of things. I simply want to take two separate pictures of two of my dogs, and put one dog's head on the other dog's body. I want...
  9. Newbie with specific audio transfer question

Newbie with specific audio transfer question: Hello, I am new to computing and have just bought a cheapish HP laptop which I use mainly for writing. However I would also like to use the music software. Put simply, when I load a CD into the drive, how do I transfer(upload?) this to the Groove music application?...
  10. Newbie question - Lumia Windows 10 mobile

in Windows 10 Support
    Newbie question - Lumia Windows 10 mobile: Maybe I`m not in the right place/forum, but I`m sure someone can help me. I`m a new user of W10phone (Lumia 650). It`s my first Windows phone, and for now it`s not bad for me. I have only two questions. - How can I play radio streams from file (folder on SD card)? - How...