Windows 10: newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended

Discus and support newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I'm not exactly a newbie, but recently I have been very, very pressed for time,*Shock so I can't do my usual "try it and see what works." But I know... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by x509, Dec 3, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended

So I'm not exactly a newbie, but recently I have been very, very pressed for time,*Shock so I can't do my usual "try it and see what works." But I know that the longer I put off all these updates, the more problems I will have, and I want to get these updates done and behind me, so I'm asking some newbie questions here.

I have to upgrade about 10 physical Windows partitions, some on 1809 and some on a much earlier versions None are on 1903. I also have to update 4 Win 10 VMs, which don't get used very much. The VMs are probably 1709 or maybe even 1703. All these Windows installs are Pro 64.

So can I use the USB for the 1909 update, that I created with the MCT directly? Or do I need to update first to an earlier version (1809?)?

I know I should know this. Do I need to boot up each of the physical Windows partitions to do the update from inside Windows, or do I boot up my system using the USB and then pick the partition to update? Same question for the VMs. I did try to find a tutorial, but maybe I didn't look hard enough. *Redcarded

Finally, does anyone have an unattend XML file that I can use as a guideline? Do I need to modify the unattend file for each separate Windows partition, or can I make my edits just once and then use the unattend over and over again? Can someone point me to a tutorial for using these files.

:)

x509, Dec 3, 2019
  2. x509 Win User

Not-newbie but new to unattended installs questions

So I have to do a 1903 update for all the systems in my home LAN, and I've put that off because of all the time it takes babysitting each install. *Rolleyes The unattended XML approach seems attractive.

Here are my questions. If these questions show that I'm not understanding key parts of the unattended install process, Your Honor I plead Guilty As Charged.

• Can I create just one unattended.xml file that would prompt me for system-specific info like system name but would answer all the questions about timezone, keyboard, language, etc. All systems are 64 bit, and all but 1 are PRO. That other 1 is HOME (but I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to PRO.
    • All these installs are updates, but when I read through this thread and others, they perform new installs where they wipe the drive clean. Can I do an update install with unattended.xml?

x509, Dec 3, 2019
  3. what is best linux for newbie?

several days ago my friend ask me about whats best linux for newbie, because theres alot of distro out there would you suggest distro that suitable for newbie and has nice features on it *Roll Eyes newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended :rolleyes:

micropage7, Dec 3, 2019
  4. popsean Win User

Newbie, looking for new graphics card.

I am currently having problems with my 4870s noise.
    In my honest opinion, its just too damn loud.

Getting to the point, i am looking for a new video card that is
    • Quiet/silent
    • Decent power
    • around 120 dollars or less.
    • Dual dvi outputs for 2 monitors
    • Easy/Low maintenance
    • Not a puzzle to install
    Im going to buy a new video card very soon, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

popsean, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

1. newbie questions from non-newbie about update to 1909 and unattended - Similar Threads - newbie questions non

2. Newbie

in Windows 10 Support
    Newbie: Hi Guys and Girls my name is Kerrigan ( for short) I have never posted here yet but I do drop in from time to time. I run a windows 10 machine with reasonably high specs. I live in a beautiful part of Western Australia called Mandurah which is about an hours drive from our...
  3. newbie question

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    newbie question: If I set up a Windows 10 VM on a Windows 10 Pro system and install Windows 7 Pro on the VM (need to run legacy programs like CorelDraw X4, WordPerfect X4, etc.) , and then network that system to another Windows 10 Pro system, will I have problems with any of the following:...
  4. Newbie question

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Newbie question: Actually I am not entirely new to backups but I have always had this mind block about backing up I have several back up programs--GFI and AOMEI. And a I had a backup scheme set up under Win 7. But having upgraded to Win 10 I need to revise and perhaps create a whole new...
  5. newbie

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    newbie: I have a laptop with genuine Windows default his laptop then I bring my laptop to the computer worker after the Windows OS check is changed to not original, how do I restore the windows to the original version? Because recovery is deleted thank you...
  6. Sandboxing Newbies Questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sandboxing Newbies Questions: Hi I have been searching the web trying to learn what I can about sandboxing. However, I am finding it all a bit confusing since there does not appear to be anyone who has put up any guidnce for beginners in sandboxing. Yes, I've learnt what sandboxing is and what it...
  7. A newbie question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A newbie question: I am no gamer. The only video game console I have is Play Station 2. Enough said. I have an Irulu 9" 16GB Android 4.4 tablet and a Surface RT tablet. Irulu has a micro USB port while Surface RT has a 2.0 USB port. I am wondering if there is a game control ( like the one...
  8. Simple Newbie Question About "Photoshopping"

Simple Newbie Question About "Photoshopping": I don't have photoshop, only MS Paint on my Windows 10 computer. I never photoshopped anything and have absolutely no experience in these type of things. I simply want to take two separate pictures of two of my dogs, and put one dog's head on the other dog's body. I want...
  9. Newbie with specific audio transfer question

Newbie with specific audio transfer question: Hello, I am new to computing and have just bought a cheapish HP laptop which I use mainly for writing. However I would also like to use the music software. Put simply, when I load a CD into the drive, how do I transfer(upload?) this to the Groove music application?...
  10. A newbie question on Windows To Go

in Windows 10 Support
    A newbie question on Windows To Go: I know WinToGo is applicable only to Enterprise version................ officially. My question is : If I have win 10 installed to a certified USB ( yes, I know I can use a non-certified one with limitations), I can take it to any Windows computer, plug it in, and...