Windows 10: Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows...

Discus and support Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am using command prompt in the windows server 2019. I am running an exe which has printf statements that has newline character"\n". Also, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Hadhira Fathima, May 23, 2023.

1. Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows...

Hi, I am using command prompt in the windows server 2019. I am running an exe which has printf statements that has newline character"\n". Also, it contains scanf statements to get input from the user. Whenever I am running the EXE in the command prompt, newline character is not working properly, and it is showing as small box. Also, whenever I am giving enter/backspace, that is also not working properly and showing as small box. I am using "Lucida console" font in command prompt. I have tried with every font in the command prompt. But still, it is not working. What should I change for this?

:)

Hadhira Fathima, May 23, 2023
  2. Lonare Win User

Unwanted newline printing in command prompt

I have recently been facing this issue in the command prompt: after executing every command, an unwanted newline is printed on the command prompt. Is it possible to return to the earlier format where the lines are consecutive, instead of having an empty
    line between each command? I know it does not affect the usability in any way, but it would be great if this can be reverted.

Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows... 48763887-8a9e-4b84-be82-ae77f4ea4576?upload=true.png

Lonare, May 23, 2023
  3. Bree Win User
    Installation media boots to command prompt

I've just booted from known working install media to see exactly what it does when booting. The sequence of events is...

1. Windows logo on a black screen
    2. circling dots appear beneath the logo
    3. light blue 'Please wait' screen with circling dots
    4. a command prompt window (very briefly)
    5. the initial Setup page appears

Do you see steps 1-3? If so, it appears you have stopped at step 4, suggesting that something on the disc cannot be read.

Does the disc boot properly in another machine? If so, try cleaning the laptop's drive lens then try booting from the disc again.

If not, make new install media with Microsoft's Media Creation Tool, either as a bootable USB, on an ISO that you can burn to another disc. At Step 8 in Option One of this tutorial you can choose between making a USB or an ISO.

Download Windows 10 ISO File

4. Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows...

settings window not working properly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing.
    I will certainly help you with this.
    I suggest you to perform the below given steps and check if it helps:

Method 1: This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly
    follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin)
      to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    Method 2: If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.
    • In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Nachappa C K, May 23, 2023
Thema:

Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows...

1. Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows... - Similar Threads - Newline character enter

2. Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows...: Hi, I am using command prompt in the windows server 2019. I am running an exe which has printf statements that has newline character"\n". Also, it contains scanf statements to get input from the user. Whenever I am running the EXE in the command prompt, newline character is...
  3. Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Newline character, enter, backspace is not working properly in command prompt in windows...: Hi, I am using command prompt in the windows server 2019. I am running an exe which has printf statements that has newline character"\n". Also, it contains scanf statements to get input from the user. Whenever I am running the EXE in the command prompt, newline character is...
  4. Backspace and enter key not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backspace and enter key not working: I was playing games with my friends, and I was trying to say something in chat when suddenly the enter key won't work. I was trying to tell my friends that my backspace and enter keys won't work. So I searched on youtube on how to fix this problem, but none of those work,...
  5. Backspace and enter key not working

Backspace and enter key not working: I was playing games with my friends, and I was trying to say something in chat when suddenly the enter key won't work. I was trying to tell my friends that my backspace and enter keys won't work. So I searched on youtube on how to fix this problem, but none of those work,...
  6. Backspace and enter key not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Enter and Backspace sometimes don't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Enter and Backspace sometimes don't work: Hi everyone, for the past few months my enter and backspace keys sometimes don't work. I am running Windows 1909 on a Dell G7. I have tried uninstalling the drivers and restarting, but I have not tried completely reinstalling windows as I have been really busy using my...
  8. Unwanted newline printing in command prompt

Unwanted newline printing in command prompt: I have recently been facing this issue in the command prompt: after executing every command, an unwanted newline is printed on the command prompt. Is it possible to return to the earlier format where the lines are consecutive, instead of having an empty line between each...
  9. Help undoing these commands entered at command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Help undoing these commands entered at command prompt: Hello everyone. I was talking with PC Matic tech support who were trying to troubleshoot a problem I was having. They had me run some commands that totally crippled Windows Defender. It did not fix the problem and now they are not being helpful in assisting me to undo these...
  10. Backspace and Enter suddenly stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Backspace and Enter suddenly stopped working: So, my keyboard and computer (desktop, not a laptop), have been working fine for as long as I can remember, but out of nowhere, starting like 2 and a half hours ago, my keyboard's backspace and enter keys have completely ceased any and all kinds of functionality. First I...