Windows 10: newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents.

Discus and support newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I recently did a rebuild of this pc with windows 10 pro, i have multiple drives installed and i only install mostly games , game client apps and other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by encom45, Nov 26, 2018.

1. encom45 Win User

newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents.

I recently did a rebuild of this pc with windows 10 pro, i have multiple drives installed and i only install mostly games , game client apps and other apps that use. for some strange reason windows likes to write to another disk on Drive D:\ which is SSD , I use M2 drive for C , only issue ive had is with battlnet games that i had to uninstall completely like destiny 2 and diablo 3 and the client battlenet as well as overwatch other than this nothing else odd going on. i can not figure what has written to this drive maybe pagefile checked it on C drive still i did not manually change it, i checked restore disk all are turned off except for C drive. not sure what else could be. very weird. attached are pics. *sarc
    newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents. [​IMG]

newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents. [​IMG]

:)

encom45, Nov 26, 2018

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Nov 26, 2018
  3. Noela Tum Win User
    C drive is full but D: drive has loads of space

Hi Oliver,

There are times when your Windows 10 device might be low on storage. Kindly answer the following questions to isolate the issue:

• Which version of Windows are you currently using? Click on Start, type
      winver, and then press Enter. Please include the OS build and version.
    • Can you provide us a screenshot or the exact error message?
    • Have you tried deleting the contents on your Recycle bin?

Instead of saving all your new files to the same drive, you can save some of them to a different drive. Here's how to do it:

1. Please open the Start menu and select Settings>
    System> Storage.

2. Under More storage settings, please select Change where new content is saved.

3. For each content type, select a drive from the dropdown menu. If the drive you want to use isn't listed there, make sure it's connected to your PC.

You can also visit this helpful article on
    how to free up drive space in Windows 10
    for more troubleshooting steps that you can try at home.

Hope this helps and let us know if it works.

Noela Tum, Nov 26, 2018
  4. newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents.

Still having trouble with low space on Drive D error message after editing registry

Hi jthomasray,

In order to help you with your concern about getting low space on Drive D message, we would just like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer system prior to getting this issue?
    • What is the Version and Build of your Windows 10 computer?
    • Have you checked and verified your troubleshooting steps using this
      support link
      ?

Note:

It is always a good idea to back up your data and personal files before performing the involved troubleshooting suggestions.

Kindly reply to this thread for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents.

1. newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents. - Similar Threads - newly build drive

2. D drive not available and is not showing in this PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D drive not available and is not showing in this PC: "D:\Alevels:\ is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location...
  3. D drive not available and is not showing in this PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D drive not available and is not showing in this PC: "D:\Alevels:\ is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted, and then try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location...
  4. D:\ showing as a folder and Data D: showing as a Drive both have same contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    D:\ showing as a folder and Data D: showing as a Drive both have same contents: Hi, I transferred my documents to Data D: and that show as a drive on my Dell laptop, but those same files are showing as a Folder D:\. How do I safely get rid of the D:\ folder?...
  5. D:\ showing as a folder and Data D: showing as a Drive both have same contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    D:\ showing as a folder and Data D: showing as a Drive both have same contents: Hi, I transferred my documents to Data D: and that show as a drive on my Dell laptop, but those same files are showing as a Folder D:\. How do I safely get rid of the D:\ folder?...
  6. Drive : D not showing in "This PC"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive : D not showing in "This PC": Hi , My Drive : D is not Showing anywhere and i even looked in the "Disk Management" and it is still no where to be found I even tried running the Microsoft Safety Scanner and it didn't find anything wrong . I tried rescanning disks and the Drive : D was no where to be found...
  7. C drive is showing more used space than the amount of all the content on the drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C drive is showing more used space than the amount of all the content on the drive: Hi, So my C drive's "blue bar" turned red this morning when i turned on my laptop. It showed that C drive had around 8GB free out of 99GB. I selected all files inside, right clicked and clicked Properties, it was showen that it all was 66GB of space taken and not 91GB. I...
  8. Drive not showing correct used space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive not showing correct used space.: Laptop: Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop - PH315-52-78VL OS: Windows 10 My drive C: in properties is showing that I have 74.1 GB of used space but when I manually select all the files inside of drive C: it only shows that the size on disk is 48.0 GB. I do not have...
  9. D drive full contents won't show when

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    D drive full contents won't show when: Hello MS Expert. John here. I have a Win 10 system with 2 copies of Win 10 Pro 64 installed each on a seperate HD. On one of the drives I have my music, sound software which I use to create & record music, which I call Music Recording. On the other I have all my office &...
  10. newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents.

in Windows 10 Support
    newly build pc - D drive shows space used but no contents.: I recently did a rebuild of this pc with windows 10 pro, i have multiple drives installed and i only install mostly games , game client apps and other apps that use. for some strange reason windows likes to write to another disk on Drive D:\ which is SSD , I use M2 drive for...