Windows 10: Newly installed 2nd internal hard drive causes boot failure

Discus and support Newly installed 2nd internal hard drive causes boot failure in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am running Win 10 64 bit, version 1803. I have just added a second internal drive to my system. It displays in Admin as Drive E 298.08 Gb, NTFS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalpets, Sep 9, 2018.

1. dalpets Win User

Newly installed 2nd internal hard drive causes boot failure

I am running Win 10 64 bit, version 1803.
    I have just added a second internal drive to my system. It displays in Admin as Drive E 298.08 Gb, NTFS healthy, page file, active, primary partition, layout simple, type basic).

With the second drive E: installed my boot drive C: only boots intermittenly, but only after removing & reconnecting E: to the motherboard with the system in a live state.
    I have spent probably 2 solid continuous hours with microsoft chat support with 3 different techs but none has been able to resolve the issue.
    The only off the cuff comments from one of the techs is that the boot drive C: is possibly confused because it believes it is seeing a second operating system on the new drive, whereas it wants to see only a "storage drive".
    The techs have tried to configure the drive remotely but unsuccessfully and without telling me what the properties of the new storage? drive should be, so I'm none the wiser how to get it to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

dalpets, Sep 9, 2018

2. recovering files and transferring them to another internal hard drive

Hi,

To help resolve your concern, kindly follow the steps below:

• Install the 1 TB hard drive.
    • Install Windows 10 operating system to the 1 TB hard drive which you added.
    • Change the BIOS settings and set first boot option to the newly installed hard drive with working Windows 10 operating system (BIOS settings would differ per manufacturer. Contact your PC manufacturer for assistance on how to do this.)
    • Boot to Windows 10 of newly installed hard drive. Windows 10 should see the other drive.
    • Copy and paste the important files from other drive to the new one.
    • Format the other drive (as needed).

You may check those files you wanted to moved under C:/Users/username.

Let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Sep 9, 2018
  3. Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

I believe the 2nd drive was used for Linux, but it is not in the boot order list in bios. The only drive in the boot order is the correct drive, but it still tries to load the wrong 1.

zbrufan813, Sep 9, 2018
  4. Newly installed 2nd internal hard drive causes boot failure

Removal of non-system hard disks causes boot failure.

I have windows 10 pro installed on a Crucial 500GB SSD.

I also have 2 2TB Seagate Internal Hard Disks installed.

I recently purchased 2 3TB Seagate External Hard Disks, so that I can keep my data portable and decided to remove the internals altogether.

Although I installed windows 10 to the SSD, when I remove the two HDDs and try to restart, it shows a boot failure.

As if my system is somehow dependent on one or both of these drives that have no system data on them.

NicholasHowell, Sep 9, 2018
Thema:

Newly installed 2nd internal hard drive causes boot failure

1. Newly installed 2nd internal hard drive causes boot failure - Similar Threads - Newly installed 2nd

2. Imminent hard drive failure on boot up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Imminent hard drive failure on boot up: I have been getting a "imminent hard drive failure for the better part of a year every time my PC boots up. I ran Chkdisk and found no errors but I went and got an SSD and did a clean install of Windows10 on it. I have a 2 TB external hard drive that has been running back...
  3. Imminent hard drive failure on boot up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Imminent hard drive failure on boot up: I have been getting a "imminent hard drive failure for the better part of a year every time my PC boots up. I ran Chkdisk and found no errors but I went and got an SSD and did a clean install of Windows10 on it. I have a 2 TB external hard drive that has been running back...
  4. Imminent hard drive failure on boot up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Boot Loop Fixes Hard Drive Failure

Boot Loop Fixes Hard Drive Failure: Hello, I'm looking to get some advice/help on how to fix my laptop. One day I was restarting it and got stuck in an endless bootloop. After trying everything I could, I decided to check diagnostics Pressing esc when powering on computer and performed an extensive scan. The...
  6. 2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd internal hard drive is read only after windows update: hi, recently updated windows with an update it was showing as needed- now the 2nd hard drive i have installed is showing read only and i can't save anything to it. in properties its showing read/write correctly for all users. but disk mgmt shows the drive as read only...
  7. Installed 2nd internal HD SSD

Installed 2nd internal HD SSD: I've installed a 2nd HD in my Acer ATC-710, It is not recognized by Windows 10. Help please. Doug Reed *** Email address is removed for privacy *** https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installed-2nd-internal-hd-ssd/00451f62-2c60-45b8-90c5-0a5564e3a3c1
  8. Internal Hard Drive

Internal Hard Drive: I have an internal hard drive i got from my day that came out of his desk top. It has a lot of data on it i want to recover and put onto an external dar drive. I can see the drive when i run diskmgmt but cannot right click on it or browse files. I get this error with it "was...
  9. Failure to boot into newly installed Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Failure to boot into newly installed Windows 10.: I am using a usb drive to install windows 10 onto my new firecuda sshd. I have tries multiple times but what happens is I can get windows to install onto the drive, but then once the installation finishes, it restarts and does not boot to windows, only the bios. I have...
  10. Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive

Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive: I was replacing My son' old computer and I decided to remove the HD and put it into my case for extra storage/back-up. When I start or restart the computer I get a screen I have never seen before on this computer. It is the American Maegtrends bios screen I believe. I've seen...