Windows 10: Next Feature Updates Always Resets Tons of System Settings

Discus and support Next Feature Updates Always Resets Tons of System Settings in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Upon updating to the most recent version of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation (2004), a lot of changes that I have previously made to the registry either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by The Officer, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Next Feature Updates Always Resets Tons of System Settings

Upon updating to the most recent version of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation (2004), a lot of changes that I have previously made to the registry either get changed or completely deleted. One I know right off of the top of my head are "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTimeout". I have explicitly added this key before, and I don't know why this key, along with many others I have made in the past get deleted. Another thing that happens is that my graphics options can get changed that were in the Nvidia control panel, such as the "Output dynamic range" setting for my monitor being changed from "Full" to "Limited", which is another setting I explicitly set. The day I updated to this new version I had to revert back to the previous version with a full system image I created before the update to keep all my changes that I have made previously. I ask this, why is it whenever a major update gets released, many settings in my registry, driver options, sometimes even group policy, get modified, reset, or deleted? How can I prevent this? I understand things change with updates, but this is the fourth time now that a major update has changed these settings, all of which seem to revert the same types of settings/keys I list here. Currently rolled back to Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.900).

:)

The Officer, Jun 24, 2020

2. Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Jun 24, 2020
  3. IggSter Win User
    How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Jun 24, 2020
  4. Erik Win User

Next Feature Updates Always Resets Tons of System Settings

Is it possible to prevent Windows to reset many system settings to default after a major update (Fall Creators Update)?

I recently installed the Windows 10 Creators Update on many of my PCs, and as with previous "major" update releases, I noticed that many of the system settings, including things like:

• Energy options in device manager ("allow device to wake the computer from sleep"
      re-enabled for mice and keyboards which is annoying because I
      intentionally turned these off)
    • basic mode of displaying the taskmanager and many more get reset to
      their defaults.

Since major updates are coming approximately twice a year, I was wondering: why does Windows do that, and is there a way to turn this behavior off? It is especially annoying if you install a computer for a novice user, and after an update you have to redo all these customization steps again.

On the other hand, many things like explorer settings stay the same, for example things like "show hidden files" or "show file extensions".

So the main questions are:

• which settings are reset after an update, and what's the criteria behind that selection, where others aren't?
    • is there a list of the things that are reset during a
      major update for reference?

Thema:

Next Feature Updates Always Resets Tons of System Settings

1. Next Feature Updates Always Resets Tons of System Settings - Similar Threads - Next Feature Updates

2. tons of duplicate system files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    tons of duplicate system files: i used Ccleaner to look for duplicate files. virtually all my system files are duplicated, directory file names are similar - usually one level deeper. Can i delete the duplicates? is there any tool that can do that for me?Bubbles...
  3. tons of duplicate system files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    tons of duplicate system files: i used Ccleaner to look for duplicate files. virtually all my system files are duplicated, directory file names are similar - usually one level deeper. Can i delete the duplicates? is there any tool that can do that for me?Bubbles...
  4. System using a ton of network data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    System using a ton of network data: As the title says, for some reason in the last 30, in reality it’s been about 20 days, system has used roughly 45GB of data which is very confusing… can anyone help me with this?I have windows 10 and have version 20H2 installed....
  5. Feature update to 1909 always fails.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Feature update to 1909 always fails.: Can't complete the feature update to 1909. Error 0x80070003. I've Googled and tried a dozen (?) things but the update always fails. This has been going on for months. I've even tried the "insiders" updates and they fail. Definition and Qualith updates are working OK. This...
  6. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 " The next Windows feature update is ready and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 " The next Windows feature update is ready and...: Good Evening, I got the above message " The next Windows feature update is ready and includes reliability, performance and security improvements. " ie for Version 1909….I'm currently running 1809 Home. If I accept this update, download and install Do I loose any data...
  7. Windows 10 19H2 may not be a big update with tons of new features

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 19H2 may not be a big update with tons of new features: Microsoft is busy preparing Windows 10 May 2019 Update (19H1) for the public, but the company is also working on the next two Windows updates. Windows 10 version 1903 (19H1) is slated to release in late May 2019, while Windows 10 19H2 will likely be released in October 2019....
  8. It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    It is time to defer the next feature update for Windows 10: Microsoft plans to finish the next feature update for Windows 10, Windows 10 version 1903, sometime later this month. Windows 10 version 1903 will become available then at the end of March or the beginning of April 2019. First, to administrators of Windows who deploy it...
  9. Feature for next/future windows update.

Feature for next/future windows update.: The latest features in the 1809 version of windows has some neat phone integration features and finally a dark theme for apps, good on you! However it'd nice to be able to pause a windows update. When you check for updates you automatically begin the process of downloading...
  10. Windows 10 Feature Updates resets BCDEDIT settings

Windows 10 Feature Updates resets BCDEDIT settings: Hello, Windows 10 Feature Update resets the BCDEDIT settings that were previously applied. Is there a way to prevent it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-feature-updates-resets-bcdedit-settings/ec2d33fa-d516-417f-a855-fa02840ab577