Windows 10: Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware

Discus and support Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Adopting reliable attack methods and techniques borrowed from more evolved threat types, ransomware attained new levels of reach and damage in 2017.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware

Source: A worthy upgrade: Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware outbreaks in 2017 Microsoft Secure

:)

Brink, Jan 9, 2018

2. Petya/Goldeneye ransomware

Hi JM,

There are three specific steps you can take to mitigate against this new ransomware:

• Ensure you have the latest security updates installed.
    • Ensure you have the latest AV Signatures from your preferred AV vendor.
    • Do not open email/attachments from unknown/untrusted sources

For more information about how the Petya Ransomware works and how to protect your computers against it, please check out this Windows Security blog:

New ransomware, old techniques: Petya adds worm capabilities

Feel free to let us know if you need further information.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jan 9, 2018
  3. dakfrommd Win User
    wannacry ransomware

does window 10 require an update to protect against wannacry ransomware

**Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.**

dakfrommd, Jan 9, 2018
  4. Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware

Damn that was a long read.
    I'm a believer.
    Seems like the bad guys are getting smarter and Microsoft is working harder and smarter to stop them from doing their dirty deed.

Jack

Layback Bear, Jan 9, 2018
  5. Indeed so how do we get this?

Josey Wales, Jan 9, 2018
  6. Larger install base?

Neither StatCounter or NetMarketShare claim that W10 has a larger install base than W7 (worldwide).

Additional
    StatCounter's methodology suggests that W10 will overtake W7 this month (desktop worldwide).

Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware [​IMG]

lehnerus2000, Jan 10, 2018
  7. A little more information.
    My suggestions.
    Keep Windows 10 1709 Updated which also updates Defender.

Some more information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stopping ransomware where it counts: Protecting your data with Controlled folder access Windows Security blog

Windows Defender Exploit Guard is a new set of host intrusion prevention capabilities included with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. One of its features, Controlled folder access, stops ransomware in its tracks by preventing unauthorized access to your important files
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft 365 Security and Management Features Available in Fall Creators Update

Windows Defender Exploit Guard: Reduce the attack surface against next-generation malware

Stopping ransomware where it counts: Protecting your data with Controlled folder access

Making Microsoft Edge the most secure browser with Windows Defender Application Guard

Introducing Windows Defender Application Control

Hardening the system and maintaining integrity with Windows Defender System Guard

Move away from passwords, deploy Windows Hello. Today!

What’s new in Windows Defender ATP Fall Creators Update

Antivirus evolved
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jack

Layback Bear, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware

1. Next-gen security on Windows 10 proves resilient against ransomware - Similar Threads - Next gen security

2. Xbox next gen ghost contoller in FIFA22 on PC Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Xbox next gen ghost contoller in FIFA22 on PC Windows 10: I bought a new Xbox Controller Xbox Wireless Controller Daystrike Camo. I connected to PC via Bluetooth and opened FIFA22. Duplicated actions for buttons so called "ghost controller" effect shows up. Help me pls....
  3. Locking a folder against ransomware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Locking a folder against ransomware: Can a folder be locked, with password protection, to block encryption ransomware from changing it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/locking-a-folder-against-ransomware/47a14409-a217-4ea8-927b-017abec67810
  4. Protection Against Ransomwares

Protection Against Ransomwares: Does the Microsoft know all about ransomware? Microsoft's persons can catch them but...deal [Original Title: Protactions] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/protection-against-ransomwares/9dcfe6bc-8fa9-424d-a8cb-488a7095f186
  5. Windows resilience

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows resilience: I want to let you know what happened because it’s the first time in all my 30+ years of IT life. I used to have two volumes/partitions, C: for Windows OS and E: for my data. Thursday evening I started Windows Update (only for last November 2019 cumulative update, I update...
  6. MSE for Windows 7 protect directories/files against Ransomware?

MSE for Windows 7 protect directories/files against Ransomware?: Over the last update of Windows 10 ( Fall Creators Update) it seems possible to protect users directories and files against Ransomware. Why this functionality is not available over the MSE program settings on Windows 7 ? Or if it is how to enable it ? Vincent....
  7. RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar

RansomFree is the free program that protects your PC against ransomwar: Although there are programs to protect against ransomware, the best option still remains back up your files & make system images. *Wink Hoping to stop ransomware in its tracks, security firm Cybereason announced a new anti-malware security program on Monday called...
  8. New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware

in Windows 10 News
    New Windows 10 security features protect against ransomware: Recent ransomware threats, summarized in a new Microsoft report, highlight the need for advanced security. Windows 10 integrates next-gen security features that protect against ransomware, including multiple exploit mitigations, Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection...
  9. Defending against ransomware with Windows 10 Anniversary Update

in Windows 10 News
    Defending against ransomware with Windows 10 Anniversary Update: Ransomware is one of the latest malware threats that is attracting an increasing number of cyber-criminals who are looking to profit from it. In fact, in the last 12 months, the number of ransomware variants have more than doubled. Its premise is deceptively simple: infect...
  10. Windows 10 Creators Update provides next-gen ransomware protection

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Creators Update provides next-gen ransomware protection: Multiple high-profile incidents have demonstrated that ransomware can have catastrophic effects on all of us. From personally losing access to your own digital property, to being impacted because critical infrastructure or health care services are unexpectedly unavailable for...