Windows 10: NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back

Discus and support NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Some how my internet "network adapter" was set to "shut off to conserve energy", but I got impatient with the delay and sought to change it back, so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by chuckiechan, Nov 6, 2017.

1. NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back

Some how my internet "network adapter" was set to "shut off to conserve energy", but I got impatient with the delay and sought to change it back, so I found the setting and unchecked the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to conserve power".

It is still doing it, and the box is unchecked.

Path: "Device manager", Network adapters, my adapter name, properties, power management. Box in question is unchecked.

Any ideas?

:)

chuckiechan, Nov 6, 2017

2. Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Problem Windows 10

A Hard boot is selecting Shut Down from the Power Options and not Restart. After the computer shuts down, wait 15 sec, and then push your power button to turn it back on. Make sure that when the "removed" device is found, that you do not let Windows automatically
    configure the device. At this point in time, I would suggest doing the same for your NIC card. Be sure that you have placed all needed device drivers on your platform before "removing" them. Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. Good luck with
    all this.

JeffConklin99, Nov 6, 2017
  3. Problem with WiFi Win 10 and Intel Wireless N2230

HEy thanks but I foudn the issue myself NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back :)

It was an automatic change to the energy saving options within windows. The network adapter was shut down after a while. Changed it in the energy saving plan to always on and it worked fine.

But thanks anyway NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back :)

Zipfelchen, Nov 6, 2017
  4. NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back

Hi chuckiechan.

Head to Advance Power Management Options, there is a sub section on Wireless and power usage.

If that fails Trouble Shooters in Settings => Update and Security => Trouble Shooters. Then on right hand side under Trouble Shoot there is one for Network Adapter. This removes the adapter and then re-installs.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 6, 2017
  5. Thanks for the lead. Instead I went to Device Manager and deleted the NIC card, restarted, and all is well.

Thanks for your help!
    Chuckie

chuckiechan, Nov 6, 2017
  6. Great and thanks for posting your solution.

Caledon Ken, Nov 6, 2017
  7. Unsolved

It has returned to doing the same thing a couple of days after I reset it. The box "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" is still unchecked, but it is doing it anyway. It's nothing to do with the update, it returned shortly after I reset it.

More ideas anyone?

chuckiechan, Nov 14, 2017
  8. dmholt57 Win User

NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back

Go through the power settings and set machine to use High Performance power plan, set all saver features to never, that's screens, adapters and any other hardware attached to USB, no power saving anywhere. Reboot, sleeping hardware is like employees sleeping on the job...they don't get anything done and don't answer when you call...

dmholt57, Nov 14, 2017
  9. I'd rather just fix the problem. The box is unchecked, but the NIC card is ignoring the instructions.

chuckiechan, Nov 14, 2017
  10. You could run the Network adapter trouble shooter which will uninstall the adapter and then re-install it.

The trouble shooters are Start > Settings > Update and Security > scroll down on left > Troubleshoot. Then scroll down on right to Network adapter.

Do you know if the driver is being updated. If so you need to reset to older working driver and then tell windows to stop updating drivers.

Windows key + R, type sysdm.cpl, click on hardware tab, click on Device Installation Settings, click on No.

The tick box will be reset with new drivers or feature updates in Windows.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 14, 2017
  11. I found a new set of drivers from the mfg or the driver writer.

I'll see how they work out. The "shut power off to save energy" box is still unchecked so we'll see in a day or so.

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.

chuckiechan, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back

1. NIC card shutting down "to save energy", can't change setting back - Similar Threads - NIC card shutting

2. Energy Save Settings don't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Energy Save Settings don't work: My Win11 PC does not heed the recommended energy saving settings. The monitor does shut off after three minutes, but the machine stays on forever. Even when I put it to sleep via the Start button, it turns on again after a few seconds. What is wrong?...
  3. Energy Save Settings don't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Energy Save Settings don't work: My Win11 PC does not heed the recommended energy saving settings. The monitor does shut off after three minutes, but the machine stays on forever. Even when I put it to sleep via the Start button, it turns on again after a few seconds. What is wrong?...
  4. Energy Saving

in Windows 10 Customization
    Energy Saving: Hi, I like the default dark background in W10. But still there are some features in Windows, that will use Energy for no reason as the Screensaver. In a World thinking about his Energy poblems, you should disable the possibility to even activate such features. did you...
  5. teams and chrome shutting down because of the energy saving

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    teams and chrome shutting down because of the energy saving: [ATTACH] When I'm doing something at my desktop a green energysaving icon shows up and the application either shuts down or will not react. This happens a lot at chrome and teams....
  6. Laptop shuts down when it's in energy saving mode?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop shuts down when it's in energy saving mode?: Hello, most of the time I don't shut down my laptop (Acer Aspire 3) because I have to leave important tabs open. That's why I only set it to energy saving mode. I have noticed that when it has been on for a few days, it shuts down when I click on save energy. My question:...
  7. I can't shut down or change battery settings.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I can't shut down or change battery settings.: I got some data recovered on July 2 after the bad May update reset my PC in June. last Tuesday, I lost the ability to change my brightness. My battery usage bar also disappeared. I checked my settings and saw that there are no options for when my PC can go to sleep or shut...
  8. GPU clock energy saving?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU clock energy saving?: Hello, I like to save energy, who knows how I managed to get my 1070 to go down from the standard 1597mhz to 139 mhz, saves about 30watt in idle :) Change in NvidiaControllPanel under performance mode, whether adaptive or optimal does not change anything and in the...
  9. Game can't save and change setting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game can't save and change setting.: After update to window 10 version 1803, my game - Grim Dawn, Dynasty Warrior 8 - can't save, change setting and it's nothing. But LoL play well. all online game play well. store game play well. WHY???...
  10. can't shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    can't shut down: my pc froze when i entered code to change password, now i can't sign in or off, or shut down. help!!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cant-shut-down/c8365d80-235e-407e-9623-5eaaf6627638