Windows 10: NIC Not Working After Hyper-V Install

Discus and support NIC Not Working After Hyper-V Install in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Win 10 Pro 20H2 (19042.685) I posted the details of the problem in this thread. In essence, when I reboot after installing HV on my machine, a virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Silky, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Silky Win User

NIC Not Working After Hyper-V Install

Win 10 Pro 20H2 (19042.685)

I posted the details of the problem in this thread. In essence, when I reboot after installing HV on my machine, a virtual adapter is created, but there is no local LAN or internet access. Additionally, there is no Hyper-V Manager App in the Start Menu. I have proven to myself that a fresh install from "Reset This PC" eliminates the problem allowing Hyper-V to be installed.

What's odd is that with HV uninstalled, System Information shows a Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter installed (screen shot below), but that virtual adapter isn't listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters

What's the best way to troubleshoot the issue?

NIC Not Working After Hyper-V Install [​IMG]

:)

Silky, Dec 27, 2020
  2. dscycler Win User

Windows 10 Hyper-v using 2 Nic ports

I am running Windows 10 with Hyper-v installed. I want to add a 2nd network adapter to the system in order to separate the hyper-v network traffic from the host network traffic. I disconnect all hyper-v vms from the current virtual switch that is set up
    allowing host access. I remove that hyper-v virtual switch. Then I add the new nic, restart and add a virtual switch (External) that is connected to the 2nd nic. I don't select the 'Allow management operating system to share this adapter'. Then click OK and
    the virtual switch is added.

The result is that my Win 10 host can still see the Internet and ping other systems on my lan but it cannot actually connect to shares on servers on my lan through Network or via existing mapped drives.

The only way I can get back complete network functionality is to use System Protection >> System Restore to go back in time prior to adding the virtual switch connected to the 2nd nic.

Windows server 2012 R2 has no issues with setting the host to use one lan port and a hyper-v virtual switch connecting to a different lan port.

Any ideas? A bug? Thanks...

dscycler, Dec 27, 2020
  3. Hyper-V networking

Windows 10 Pro, Build 10586.71. Hyper-V installed. All was working well, and then I got a chipset update from Dell. Installed the update and rebooted computer. After that networking was not working correctly, windows showed limited connectivity. I looked
    a little to roll back the driver update, but Windows did not show a new Nic card driver and the chipsets I looked at also did not show a current date. The Dell Command update program does not provide a way to uninstall updates.

I tried to access hyper-v switch manager but it returns an error that "an error occurred while trying to retrieve a list of virtual switches". Also tried using the powershell cmdlet but got a general error.

I accessed the networking center and deleted the Hyper V adapter, then edited my LAN card's config disabling the two Hyper V protocols and enabling the rest. This let me get back on-line with my computer. I have tried uninstalling the Hyper V feature,
    reboot, reinstall - but I am still unable to access the switch manager. I then removed the feature again, re-named the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V directory, rebooted, added the feature again. This time (obviously) none of my VM's show up but
    I'm still unable to access the switch manager.

There is no critical data in my Hyper V, I use it for testing, re-creating issues, learning, etc. Is there a way for Windows 10 (or something designed for server 2012 that will apply) that I can use to fully reset the Hyper v networking, or fully rest all
    of hyper v so I can get it working again? I do use the workstation heavily, it's my work computer so it would be very difficult to impossible to reinstall the OS.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Matthew.Hart.TMG, Dec 27, 2020
  4. NIC Not Working After Hyper-V Install

Hyper V deativication

Hi Geoffrey,

Hyper-V lets you run an operating system or computer system as a virtual machine on Windows. Before proceeding in disabling
    Hyper-V, please create a backup of your files for security purposes.

To disable Hyper-V, please follow the steps below:

• On the Cortana search box, type Turn Windows Features on or off and press
      Enter.
    • Look for the Hyper-V folder.
    • Uncheck the tick-box next to the main Hyper-V folder and click
      OK.
    • Restart your PC.

Should you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

NIC Not Working After Hyper-V Install

1. NIC Not Working After Hyper-V Install - Similar Threads - NIC Working Hyper

2. How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??: Hello,I'm running on a critical issue.We have an Hyper-V server with 2 NICs configured. One is for the management that is an Intel PCIe card like remote desktop to Hyper-V server, or PSRemoting etc... and another one to provide network to VMs the default Realtek from the...
  3. How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??: Hello,I'm running on a critical issue.We have an Hyper-V server with 2 NICs configured. One is for the management that is an Intel PCIe card like remote desktop to Hyper-V server, or PSRemoting etc... and another one to provide network to VMs the default Realtek from the...
  4. Hyper-V not working

Hyper-V not working: I am trying to install hyper-v thru power shell abut it says this:Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature : Feature name Microsoft-Hyper-V is unknown.At line:1 char:1+ Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Hyper-V ...+...
  5. Ethernet won't work after installing Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet won't work after installing Hyper-V: Hello,I installed Hyper-V, and set up a virtual machine, but after I shut it down, I noticed my internet doesn't work. I looked at task manager, and it didn't detect the network card. I looked at device manager, and it said my card under network adapters, but it had a warning...
  6. Ethernet won't work after installing Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet won't work after installing Hyper-V: Hello,I installed Hyper-V, and set up a virtual machine, but after I shut it down, I noticed my internet doesn't work. I looked at task manager, and it didn't detect the network card. I looked at device manager, and it said my card under network adapters, but it had a warning...
  7. Ethernet won't work after installing Hyper-V

8. WSL2 not working after Hyper-V installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WSL2 not working after Hyper-V installation: WSl2 Windows subsystem for Linux 2 worked great until I installed Hyper-V, which I also uninstalled but WSL2 still doesn't work. Error message: "The system cannot find the specified file."How can i fix it?[moved from de-de]...
  9. WSL2 not working after Hyper-V installation

WSL2 not working after Hyper-V installation: WSl2 Windows subsystem for Linux 2 worked great until I installed Hyper-V, which I also uninstalled but WSL2 still doesn't work. Error message: "The system cannot find the specified file."How can i fix it?[moved from de-de]...
  10. Hyper-V install methods not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Hyper-V install methods not working: Trying to install hyper-v on windows 10 pro and none of the ways shown online are working properly https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hyper-v-install-methods-not-working/4949e005-6a6f-48be-91ad-7a1ea76046e8