Windows 10: Nikon D5300 camera detected as COM, not portable device

Discus and support Nikon D5300 camera detected as COM, not portable device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; As title says, when connecting a Nikon D5300 camera to my desktop it appears as a serial (COM6) device in device manager. It should be detected as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by wintf, Feb 26, 2018.

1. wintf Win User

Nikon D5300 camera detected as COM, not portable device

As title says, when connecting a Nikon D5300 camera to my desktop it appears as a serial (COM6) device in device manager.
    It should be detected as a portable device. (As it does when connected to my laptop)

It is not shown in Explorer and no software for the camera detects it, including Nikon software which is tested for Win10 compatibility. (image transfer and remote control)

:)

wintf, Feb 26, 2018

2. Connectivity Issues Nikon D5300

Hi! I'm having trouble connecting my Nikon D5300 via USB. Windows detects the camera and I can access the photos from the file explorer. The problem is that other software that need to remotly control de camera (such as dragonframe) won't detect it. Actually,
    the camera display is supossed to go black when connected for this pourposes and it doesn't. From what I've been reading it has something to do with the MTP protocol. The camera is not read as an imaging device.

Thank you.

PaulaCiprian Ollivier, Feb 26, 2018
  3. PexiS Win User
    PexiS, Feb 26, 2018
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @wintf

It may have been misrecognised when you first connected it and the wrong driver loaded. Right-click on it in Device Manager and select 'uninstall device'. See if it is then recognised correctly the next time.

5. wintf Win User
    I uninstalled the COM device/driver-software and then it appeared as a USB-device. But still not shown in Explorer or detected by programs.
    Then I uninstalled the USB device/driver-software, and voila, it was detected as a Portable Device, showed up in Explorer and detected by the image transfer and remote control software.

Many thanks!

wintf, Feb 26, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    You're welcome @wintf,

I've seen USB sticks being incorrectly recognised in the past, uninstalling the device is the only sure way to correct this type of fault.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Nikon D5300 camera detected as COM, not portable device - Similar Threads - Nikon D5300 camera

2. Nikon camera showing up as MTP Portable Device - software doesn't recognize the camera.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nikon camera showing up as MTP Portable Device - software doesn't recognize the camera.: I am running Windows 11 via Parallels on my new M1 MacBook Pro. The camera appears as a "MTP Portable Device" in my device manager under "Portable Devices." On my old windows laptop, it was always shown correctly as the "Nikon Z 6." It also worked perfectly with the same...
  3. Nikon camera showing up as MTP Portable Device - software doesn't recognize the camera.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Nikon camera showing up as MTP Portable Device - software doesn't recognize the camera.: I am running Windows 11 via Parallels on my new M1 MacBook Pro. The camera appears as a "MTP Portable Device" in my device manager under "Portable Devices." On my old windows laptop, it was always shown correctly as the "Nikon Z 6." It also worked perfectly with the same...
  4. my camera shows up as a portable device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my camera shows up as a portable device: I want to use my nikon coolpix s33 as a webcam but when I plug it in it turns off and wont turn on until I unplug it, after going to device manager I see that it shows up as a portable device instead of a camera and I have tried downloading Nikon Webcam Utility too and it...
  5. my camera shows up as a portable device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my camera shows up as a portable device: I want to use my nikon coolpix s33 as a webcam but when I plug it in it turns off and wont turn on until I unplug it, after going to device manager I see that it shows up as a portable device instead of a camera and I have tried downloading Nikon Webcam Utility too and it...
  6. portable devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    portable devices: Hello my problem is unknown device in my computer im not connect anything in my comp i try unistall but this device E:\ install again what is this or what can i do? this is dangerous?...
  7. Camera to detected in Device Manager

Camera to detected in Device Manager: Hi there, I have an Asus VivoBook with Windows 10 Home, and can't seem to get my webcam to work. It is not listed on the Device Manager list, even in hidden programs. I'd like to know how to obtain the driver, Thanks, Fernando...
  8. Nikon Camera

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Nikon Camera: I recently purchased a new computer with Window 10. I connected my Nikon camera to download pictures I have taken and keeps saying I don't have permission. My account that I sign into is an administrator account. I'm at a total loss for what is happening here. I can see it...
  9. portable device

portable device: When I connect my andriod to my pc it cannot connect to pc. and my porable device is missing in device manager. driver cannot install in pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/portable-device/5c6ef136-b901-4f6a-aaea-126fc4a2037c
  10. Nikon camera's

Nikon camera's: Hi A few weeks ago, I upgraded to Windows 10 and when I connected my Nikon D500 everything went exactly as I would have expected. Now when I plug the camera in it finds the most recent pictures and will then ask me if I want to download them. Last night I connected a...