Windows 10: nikon nef files quandry

Discus and support nikon nef files quandry in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi All Have i got a problem or what?? i downloaded 429 nef filesnikon photos to a directory on my desktop a few weeks ago. I had a look at the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kenrussell4, Apr 27, 2020.

1. nikon nef files quandry

Hi All

Have i got a problem or what??

i downloaded 429 nef filesnikon photos to a directory on my desktop a few weeks ago. I had a look at the directory a couple of days ago and i noticed the files were now a graphic of 2 mountains and a moon in the right corner and 2 arrows also in the right corner with blue being the predominant color. I had tried to open them to no avail. I read up on the arrows, apparently a sign that windows 10 had compressed them. I went through the motions of uncompressing them as a folder and nothing happened. It works on individual files in that the arrows disappear but i still cant open the file and the size remained the same. The main problem with all this is that when i looked at the properties of the folder it had it sized at 9.69 Terrabyte. The drive that they are on is 1TB and has around 150 gig free. Properties showed the file on disk size to be 3.36GB. Each individual file has the same size of 23.1GB and size on disk is 3.36GB. I had some windows upgrades loaded on to the computer 3 or 4 days ago, about the time all this happened, coincidence or what? HELP PLEASE!!!??

:)

kenrussell4, Apr 27, 2020

2. Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos

While I don't have the same issue with my Z6 NEF files, I'm having some problems. Thumbnails of any raw photos from my Nikon Z6 look as expected, but as soon as I open a file in the Photos App, the photo appears nearly colorless and nothing like the thumbnail...or
    even like the neutral NEF file should look.

And this only happens with NEF files from the Nikon Z6, and not with NEF files from my Nikon D750.

Hmm...

PhilipOswald, Apr 27, 2020
  3. Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos

Did not fix the problem. Problem is not with all NEF files, but only the ones from the Nikon Z6.

HiltonGillis, Apr 27, 2020
  4. nikon nef files quandry

Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos

The Z6 NEF files open normally with Photo Viewer but not with the Photos app, which I like to use for some editing. The Nikon ViewNX 2 software will open and display these files, but "Adjustments" does not function. The newer ViewNX-i appears to be fully
    functional for all Nikon files.

HiltonGillis, Apr 27, 2020
Thema:

nikon nef files quandry

1. nikon nef files quandry - Similar Threads - nikon nef files

2. Now the NEF files for photos

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Now the NEF files for photos: Have taken photos at several weddings without a problem. Now the NEF files for photos Nikon naming on my win10 laptop are being destroyed when moving to a different folder. I will pay Microsoft for win11 that will not run on my laptop if they will quit destroying my photos....
  3. Now the NEF files for photos

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Now the NEF files for photos: Have taken photos at several weddings without a problem. Now the NEF files for photos Nikon naming on my win10 laptop are being destroyed when moving to a different folder. I will pay Microsoft for win11 that will not run on my laptop if they will quit destroying my photos....
  4. Now the NEF files for photos

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Quora quandry

Quora quandry: I am somewhat addicted to Quora, I wish I was not, I waste too much time on it, but now I am being deprived of it by a peculiar glitch. When I try to read a posting and the answers / comments on it, the webpage gets stuck and only lets me read the first few lines. This may be...
  6. Cannot delete NEF files

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot delete NEF files: Im running windows 10 pro, but i cannot delete NEF files from the recycle bin, all other files with delete ok. Anyone offer any help please. TIA 173084
  7. How can I get Windows 10 to recognize NEF files taken by a Nikon Z6 II?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How can I get Windows 10 to recognize NEF files taken by a Nikon Z6 II?: Hello. I just bought a Nikon Z6 II and found that Windows 10 does not see the NEF raw files. It sees the JPG files just fine. Those files are useless to me. Is there a fix for this? Right now my new $2,600 paper weight. Please help! Thank you, Paul Livingston...
  8. Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos

Failure opening Nikon Z6 NEF photos: I installed the latest Windows 10 update, version 1903. I installed the RAW Windows extension. I use Windows Photos App. NEF files from my Z6 on an XQD card will open and look fine, but will collapse into random horizontal streaks in 3-4 seconds. What gives? NEF (RAW)...
  9. Nikon D850 RAW/NEF files thumbnails not showing preview / not supported by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Nikon D850 RAW/NEF files thumbnails not showing preview / not supported by Windows 10: Hi, I recently bought a Nikon D850. I shoot in RAW. When I download the photos and videos, the thumbnails do not show preview like it used to do with my previous D810. The "Always show icons, never thumbnails" is not checked. The video thumbnails show preview though. It...
  10. Set file association for .NEF files

Set file association for .NEF files: I have Photoshop CS4 along with Camera Raw installed as well as Adobe Acrobat 9.5. Everytime I try to open a .NEF file Windows tries to open it in Acrobat 9.5. Naturally it cannot. When I go to the file associations Photoshop CS4 is not an option. Can anyone help me associate...