Windows 10: Nitro Reader 3 Create PDF locks print queues.

Discus and support Nitro Reader 3 Create PDF locks print queues. in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; From my experience on 2 Win 10 machines, beware of creating a pdf using Nitro Reader 3. On both machines the print function hung, and all print queues... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by greybat, Aug 3, 2015.

1. greybat Win User

Nitro Reader 3 Create PDF locks print queues.

From my experience on 2 Win 10 machines, beware of creating a pdf using Nitro Reader 3. On both machines the print function hung, and all print queues got stuck. Even a restart did not fix the problem (because, I presume, the issue was in the print queues themselves). The only way I found to resolve the issue was with a System Restore..... and this option is apparently turned OFF by default in Win 10.

For now, I suggest uninstalling Nitro Reader 3, and using the built in Microsoft Print to PDF instead. (Also turn on System Restore!) For reading PDFs, if, like me, you don't like Adobe Reader, Edge works fine!

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

:)

greybat, Aug 3, 2015

2. Windows 10 working fine for 2 weeks, suddenly print and utility apps stall ... cannot open Devices & Printers

Found the culprit: Nitro Reader ... it imposed itself as the default printer for MS Edge and blocked the printer queues when I tried to use it to make a pdf printout. Removed Nitro (using a cleaning tool available on the Nitro site) and all is well again.

Walter Raymond, Aug 3, 2015
  3. Printing, print to PDF and other things on fritz with switch to 10

I had this same exact problem after going to Windows 10--extreme frustration!

Nitro Reader pdf was my go-to printer...

Since my issues seemed directly related to the printer, (either via click File, immediate freeze, have to shut down Excel/Word, or via File Explorer, right-click Print, immediate freeze, etc.),

I did the following:

I use an HP Printer and HP desktop, so I downloaded the HP Support Assistant.

There were multiple sessions of communication between the assistant and my devices which required several restarts.

After all of this, I could print (not to Nitro, but at least I could print again!)

Per other advice, I tried to go into Devices and Printers to set a different default printer.

It froze.

I stopped pushing for total compatibility, started using Microsoft pdf exclusively.

I have been using Nitro pdf to view my files without any problem.

But today, I needed to print a 2 page doc and Microsoft pdf wants to create two separate one page files. So I tried to print to pdf using Nitro....ouch! Immediate freeze, and now, cannot click file without crashing Excel...so here we go again, and that's
    why I'm here. Looks like a restart is in my future....

JasmineNaylor, Aug 3, 2015
  4. cyberSAR Win User

Same experience here. Miss nitro.

cyberSAR, Aug 3, 2015
  5. greybat Win User
    Me too.... and I can't figure out how to report the problem to the developers. The links on their home screen lead me to a forum that won't let me sign in with Facebook, and won't let me create a new account. (From their forum: "Nitro Reader does not offer self-registration, please contact your company representative for further information."!) Also, there are only 5 postings on their forum, the last sometime in 2013!

I know its a free product but surely they want some feedback from users?!

greybat, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Have you used PDF995? I use it in Windows 10 and it works flawlessly.

GamerwGlasses, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Yogi707 Win User
    I didn't need to do a restore. I deleted the Nitro folder from the "Program Files (x86)" Folder then deleted the Nitro PDF entries from the registry using Regedit. Rebooted and seems OK now.

Yogi707, Aug 6, 2015
  8. Johno413 Win User

It isn't just the Reader product. I have Nitro Pro 8 and when I use it as the printer driver it wipes out printing for every application. Not only Office 265apps but even Notepad++ hangs when trying to print. Reinstalling Office 365 cleared it up, though. Haven't verified it is the print queue but that seems reasonable. Too bad. But at least I can use Nitro for all my PDF editing still. The issue is that the built in Office PDF export cannot produce the highest resolutions that Nitro can. It matters for graphics but not so much for text.

Johno413, Aug 17, 2015
  9. Phone Man Win User
    I had Nitro PDF hang in the middle of printing. I did a restart and then was able to go into Device and Printers and it showed 1 job in Nitro PDF que and I was able to cancel it. No problems using other printers after that. Still use Nitro PDF but not the printer part.

I now open Nitro PDF and use Create from File to convert to PDF.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Aug 17, 2015
  10. BruceG Win User
    This is a simple permissions problem. Nitro does more than simply printing - and Win 10 has separate permissions for "Manage Documents" and "Print Documents". After installing Nitro and/or clearing any hanging print queues - go into Printer Settings for Nitro and add the manage documents privilege to the Nitro user.

BruceG, Aug 17, 2015
  11. Johno413 Win User
    Where do you access those permissions in Win10? I reinstalled Nitro Pro 8 but don't find config options in the App. And only find Reader 2 and Pro 8 listed in Print Queues in the Control Panel and not under Printers. Only my physical printer shows up there. And Properties for Print Queues only allows me to choose the driver (inf) file.

Johno413, Aug 17, 2015
  12. BruceG Win User
    Go to the Control Panel- right click on the start button.
    Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers
    You should see NitroPDF creator on the list of printers here.
    Launch the printer window by double clicking on the icon. Then select Properties > Security >
    Make sure Manage this Printer and Trint are enabled for everyone.

BruceG, Aug 17, 2015
  13. Johno413 Win User

Thanks. I see that my default allows Manage this Printer and Print for Everyone, but not Manage Documents. And oddly permissions are different for other Users such as All Application Packages (which doesn't allow Manage this Printer). I am going to set all three to allow for all users and groups. But won't test it soon. I'm tired of uninstalling and installing Office 365 for now.
    Is there a way to flush the queue quickly if it hangs again in the future when testing, say be following the same steps you mention and choosing Cancel All Documents?

BTW - the same problems occur when using Nitro Pro to Create from File, which I assume indicates it uses the same drivers/protocol as printing does.

Johno413, Aug 17, 2015
  14. I have installed Nitro Reader 3 and all I need to use it for is to create pdf docs from word files and then save them. It just will not create the pdf which normally opens up on the screen, yet works fine on 2 computers with win 7 and XP - is it a case of the program is just not there yet for win 10?

thecartoonman, Aug 18, 2015
  15. greybat Win User
    Tried this but it didn't work, although, this time, after I restarted, the print queues were cleared. I didn't have to do a system restore. Not sure whether that is because of what I was trying to print this time, or whether because of the fix.

Also tried Create from File, and that didn't work either. I get "Server Busy" error, with option to "Switch to..." or Retry. Cannot switch to anything nor cancel the error. Eventually used Process Explorer to kill Nitro Reader. Thereafter, I could not access anything from Devices and Printers (Windows Explorer not responding) .

greybat, Aug 19, 2015
Thema:

1. Nitro Reader 3 Create PDF locks print queues. - Similar Threads - Nitro Reader Create

2. Cant print to PDF with adobe reader

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant print to PDF with adobe reader: Hi, When i am at work i try to print to PDF...but it wont do it, and just shows a box saying that my license doesnt allow me to do this. Do you know how to get round this?
  3. Print Queue

Print Queue: I have an old Toshiba laptop that has a document stuck in the printer queue. I cannot print/delete/cancel it and it deters any other document from printing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-queue/8977885d-df91-45b6-bab3-581e2bbea65c
  4. Print Queue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Print Queue: I have an old Toshiba laptop that has a document stuck in the printer queue. I cannot print/delete/cancel it and it deters any other document from printing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-queue/8977885d-df91-45b6-bab3-581e2bbea65c
  5. Print Queue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. print queue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    print queue: printed documents not deleting from queue https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/print-queue/b150abdb-b439-4244-abc1-cfd1ab473bb3
  7. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Ok so my English textbooks are pdfs. usually I would use Adobe Acrobat Reader, but one of the textbooks is 500+ pages long, and its sooo slow! ive tried edge, chrome, etc, but none of them work because its simply too big! Should I print it?...
  8. Adding Nitro 5 PDF Reader / Printer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding Nitro 5 PDF Reader / Printer: I want to convert Microsoft Word documents into PDF form. I have always been able to use Nitro 5 to do that. All I had to do was opt to print my document and I had the Nitro 5 come up in my printer choices and upon selection it created a wonderful pdf. In Microsoft 10 it...
  9. PDF Reader

PDF Reader: Looking for a simple pdf reader nothing complicated. I just want it for reading pdf. windows 10 home. simple question I hope. Thank You. David. 124877
  10. PDF reader icon appears as picture tumbnail [Acrobat / Nitro PDF]

PDF reader icon appears as picture tumbnail [Acrobat / Nitro PDF]: The Application icon appears as a picture thumbnail rather than the app icon in the taskbar. This is the case with Acrobat and Nitro PDF after checking out. [img] Please help me resolve this issue, Thank you in advance. 42640