Windows 10: "NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum?

Discus and support "NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; For over a week now, I've been fighting a BSoD problem created when I foolishly ran Dell's Alien Respawn command. You can read that whole saga here:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JohnBreen3, Apr 16, 2021.

1. "NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum?

For over a week now, I've been fighting a BSoD problem created when I foolishly ran Dell's Alien Respawn command. You can read that whole saga here:

nls-data-is-missing-or-contains-errors-cant-boot

I think I might have found the cause, so I'm posting a fresh, direct sort of question: looking at the DISMRepairLogFile.txt file, I mostly see missing-file errors referencing filenames like:

\\?\C:\Windows\Servicing\Packages\[...]~amd64~en-US~10.0.10586.0.mum

There are 16 filenames like this listed, all with "10.0.10586.0.mum" in their name. The listed .mum files are indeed missing, but there are corresponding .cat files, all from 2015 or 2016. Interestingly, there are a lot more *10.0.10586.0.cat files missing a corresponding .mum file that don't give errors.

Besides these, there are three missing .mum files mentioned with KB numbers in their names, also from 2015 or 2016.

Could these files be the cause of the BSoD? After all, most of them appear to be NLS related. Is there a clean way to remove them using the Recovery command line? I've seen mention of the following command, but I'd like some concurrence before I try it:

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup[/COLOR]

although in my case, from the Recovery command line, I assume it would be more like:

[COLOR=rgba42, 0, 170, 1]DISM /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup[/COLOR]

:)

JohnBreen3, Apr 16, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

How can I clean these .MUM and .CAT files from failed updates?

DISM /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup is used only clean up the component WinSXS folder and is advisable after every cummulative updates, It will clean up quite a bit of space.
    If you list all .mum & .cat files in deltail view, you'd see the date and also the KB in question. I have mine listed and most of them dated back in sept. 2017
    These files are owned by Trusted Installer and cannot be deleted even if you are the Administrator.
    Try:
    1. Take ownership of these files and delete them. If failed, go to step 2
    2. Download: PowerRun v1.3 (Run with highest privileges)
      then run. Click on the Command icon to run as Trusted Installer, cd to the folder then delete them.
    3. An easy way is to boot up Linux then delete them.

If those KB's failed to update, you can safely delete them. Since I have a backup image, I booted into Linux and delete them all. Once back to Windows, Manually download the latest KB4093105 that update Windows to 16299.402 by passing all the updates in between.
    You can use this link from @EdTittel post #1 or use mine in post #2 of this link, whatever you feel comfortable:
    Download and Install Windows Update from Microsoft Update Catalog Windows 10 Tutorials

FYI, Even in this folder, there are thousands of .mum, .cat files but they don't occupy much space. After delete all the .mum and .cat files in mine, Windows re-created 1,668 files just to install KB4093105 and occupy 22MB total.

"NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum? [​IMG]

topgundcp, Apr 16, 2021
  3. bramster Win User
    NLS Data is missing or contains errors - Error code oxc0000102

Wife's Windows 10 PC will not boot. Was looping through Automatic repair. I disabled automatic repair using
    bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No from the command line in a recovery console to get a clearer look.

The next boot showed the following:

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired
    The operating system couldn't be loaded because the NLS data is missing or contains errors
    Error code oxc0000102

What is NLS data? Not sure how to repair this...

I ran some basic repair command from the recovery console but this issue persists. Any advise as to next steps would be appreciated.

Ran Bootsec /fixmbr /rebuildbcd successfully
    Running Bootsec /fixboot returns "access denied"
    sfc /scannow shows no errors

Thanks,

bramster, Apr 16, 2021
  4. axe0 Win User

"NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum?

BSOD kernel security check failure

Hi meakashi,

Welcome to the 10forums for both of you "NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum? :)

I would suggest to visit Acer to update or re-install all the drivers available for Windows 10.
    Re-installing drivers removes corruption what helps improving system stability.
    Drivers en handleidingen downloaden | Officiële Acer-site

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
    Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

1. Uninstall Daemon Tools
    2. Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
      • Double click the executable to open it
      • Click on the button shown below

"NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum? [​IMG]

If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window.

Thema:

"NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum?

1. "NLS data" BsoD - Old .cat missing its .mum? - Similar Threads - NLS data BsoD

2. How can I fix error code 0xc000000f windows 7 failed to load because the nls data is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I fix error code 0xc000000f windows 7 failed to load because the nls data is missing: Windows 7 can't start it says NLS file missing how do I fix it error code Oxc000000f on my Pacjard Bell 2009 PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-error-code-0xc000000f-windows-7/eaf524bf-1223-4fc5-94d0-23bb083252de
  3. How can I fix error code 0xc000000f windows 7 failed to load because the nls data is missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I fix error code 0xc000000f windows 7 failed to load because the nls data is missing: Windows 7 can't start it says NLS file missing how do I fix it error code Oxc000000f on my Pacjard Bell 2009 PC https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-fix-error-code-0xc000000f-windows-7/eaf524bf-1223-4fc5-94d0-23bb083252de
  4. NLS Error in AutoCAD

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    NLS Error in AutoCAD: Missing or corrupt files; ANSI_1252 cant be found or are not installed on your system.I have tried most of the solutions provided on forums but this doesn't leave me alone and keeps prompting on screen.I am just beginning to learn AutoCAD and at the very start this error is...
  5. "NLS data is missing or contains errors" - Can't Boot - Can I Fix It with an Installation Disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "NLS data is missing or contains errors" - Can't Boot - Can I Fix It with an Installation Disk?: [If this sounds familiar, it's the second and more immediate of the two problems that I posted here. This part was getting lost, so I'm moving it to a separate thread.] I tried to use Dell's AlienWare "Respawn" tool to fix a BSoD problem see link above for original...
  6. Missing NLS files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing NLS files: Dear All,, hope you have a good day I have this screen Appear when I try to open a .dwg file in autoCAD I tried many times to solve the problem from AutoCAD file side but it did not work what they suggest that I have a missing NLS files in my system causes this message to...
  7. MY DATA WERE ENCRYPTED (MUM, DAT, BIN, etc)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MY DATA WERE ENCRYPTED (MUM, DAT, BIN, etc): I bought a HP laptop over 3 months ago with an active copy of Windows 10 Home genuine. A week ago the blue screen error occurred so the technical staffs retrieved the product key and re-insalled it. I've asked for my data but they gave me back the laptop full of MUM, DAT,...
  8. cats

in Cortana
    cats: my cat has moved into her litter box, only comes out to eat and for me to clean the box, why https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cats/18bf4545-5c93-4b30-8114-651cba2f561c"
  9. How can I clean these .MUM and .CAT files from failed updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I clean these .MUM and .CAT files from failed updates?: Thanks for the info will see how it works...I'm still on v1703 but that won't change anything will it? Going to wait for the next release to upgrade. Hell an upgrade would probably clear up my problem now wouldn't it? *chuckle Suppose I could wait on that LOL!
  10. NLS Data is missing or contains errors - Error code oxc0000102

in Windows 10 Support
    NLS Data is missing or contains errors - Error code oxc0000102: Wife's Windows 10 PC will not boot. Was looping through Automatic repair. I disabled automatic repair using bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No from the command line in a recovery console to get a clearer look. The next boot showed the following: Your PC/Device...