Windows 10: No access to external HDD

Discus and support No access to external HDD in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Peternosmas, Jan 17, 2020.

1. No access to external HDD

Just over a week ago I posted the below problem of inability to access my external HDD. I had one response from someone who asked me to send a mailshot of my Disk Management. This failed on my first attempt but was successful on the second. Despite sending him/her a reminder I have heard nothing further. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE SEND A POSSIBLE SOLUTION AS I CANNOT DO ANY BACKUPS!

I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups
    to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times
    due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various
    suggestions to fix from Google - no luck! Now I have no access to my external HDD
    as the drive cannot be seen in ‎File Explorer. Your help for a fix will be greatly
    appreciated.

:)

Peternosmas, Jan 17, 2020

2. Unable to access external HDD

I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups

to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times

due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various

suggestions to fix from Google - no luck! Now I have no access to my external HDD

as the drive cannot be seen in ‎File Explorer. Your help for a fix will be greatly

appreciated. Regards

Peternosmas, Jan 17, 2020
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Jan 17, 2020
  4. Chasbob Win User

No access to external HDD

Access to files on external HDD

I recently bought a new Windows 10 computer. I already have an external HDD with my photos on. To migrate my other data (e.g. Office docs etc) from the C: drive on my old XP computer I copied the relevant folders to the external HDD. I intend to copy this
    data to an internal HDD on my new computer, but before doing so I am deleting files that I no longer require. I am signed in with an administrator account on my new computer, but every time I try to delete or move a file or folder on the external HDD, a dialog
    box pops up asking for administrator permission. Clicking 'Yes' enables me to delete or move the file/folder, but this is clearly laborious. Inspecting the properties of files/folders on the external HDD, I see that every file and folder has a blue/yellow
    shield against Rename and Delete.

Is there a way that that I can simply update the permissions on all files/folders on the external HDD to give full access to my administrator account, so that I can move/delete files without needing to give permission every time.

Note - At the end of the day I want to move the Office docs etc to an internal HDD on my new computer but leave the photos on the external HDD. But I want my administrator account to have full access to both types of file.

Chasbob, Jan 17, 2020
Thema:

No access to external HDD

1. No access to external HDD - Similar Threads - access external HDD

2. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  3. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Access denied on external HDD: I have games and files on an external HDD with 750GB capacity. I was using it yesterday and now I try opening it and I see "access denied" before that there were corrupted files that I fixed using CMD command line chkdsk /f d: , I also did the DISM and sfc /scannow . I watch...
  4. Access denied on external HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to Access External HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Access External HDD: Hi, I am unable to access my 1TB HDD on my surfacepro 4 128gb. I could do that with my other computers, however on SP4 i am unable to. Once the below message comes, the system does nt response. I will end up removing the disk and do other things. Hence i have taken an...
  6. Windows can't access external hdd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows can't access external hdd: Hello So I use a western digital my passport external hdd and windows 10. Previously its been a bit finicky, I assumed its been the cable. Typically it works fine and I store all my media on it. Yesterday I plugged it into my Samsung Q60T TV for the first time, hoping to...
  7. access denied to external hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    access denied to external hdd: I have an HP desktop with a ssd for a boot drive and I have been using an external hdd as my write to drive. An update caused BSOD and I had to do a fresh install of win 10, now I get the access denied 0x80070005 code when I try to change where new content is saved. All...
  8. Write access denied on External HDD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Write access denied on External HDD: When I try to copy anything to my WD passport external HDD, it says "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this file" and when I click continue, it just asks me to try again. But this does not happen when I boot in safe mode. Here's what I've tried so far:...
  9. Unable to access external HDD

Unable to access external HDD: I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 and use Macrium Reflect for my scheduled backups to an external HDD housed in a caddy. Recently the backups have failed four times due to an error "the semaphore timeout period has expired". Despite trying various suggestions to fix from...
  10. Access recycle bin on external HDD

Access recycle bin on external HDD: Hello everyone When I wanna access the recycle bin on my external drive and see the files, it opens the recycle bin on my main drive, like it is a shortcut. How do I access the recycle bin on the external drive and see the files? Thank you!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no access to external drive