Windows 10: No audio device in Windows 10

Discus and support No audio device in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A few months ago, I upgraded my from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without problems. However, my Asus X73E notebook sometimes completely froze, so I decided... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RandomGuy, Dec 31, 2015.

1. RandomGuy Win User

No audio device in Windows 10

A few months ago, I upgraded my from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without problems. However, my Asus X73E notebook sometimes completely froze, so I decided to reinstall Windows 10 from scratch. Now I get the message "no audio output device installed". The High Definition Audio-Controller driver from Microsoft shows the error 10 ("device could not be started").
    So I tried installing the Windows 10 audio driver from Realtek, but the installation gave me a bluescreen (System Thread Exception Not Handled RTkvhd64.sys). I tried installing a Realtek audio driver for Windows 7, but that driver doesn't start (message "the request is not supported"). If I boot from a live Ubuntu USB-Stick, the sound works without problems... What am I doing wrong?

:)

RandomGuy, Dec 31, 2015

2. No Audio Device found in my device manager

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are facing some issues using Windows 10.

This might have occurred due to some system conflicts.

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. It will scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows. To run the SFC scan,
    refer to the Microsoft article below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

I would suggest you to refer to the Help Article and check if that helps.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update Hardware Drivers in Windows 10

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Dec 31, 2015
  3. No Audio Device found in my device manager

I have an ASUS Q501LA notebook and recently upgraded to Windows 10. The upgrade was easy and effortless. It even fixed problems I had after I bought it with Windows 8 where the touch screen did not work, nor did any of the USB ports and or the sound.

There is still no sound however. I have done everything the help/support pages suggest we try.

Done the scan for hardware changes, ran the troubleshoots multiple times, and even 3 times now have uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio driver and re-downloaded it.

Have even once tried to install in compatible mode with the previous version.

After each download and re-start I cant find in my device manager, whereas in the control panel "uninstall a program" its listed there right at the top. This is where I have been deleting the program and then re-start.

The troubleshoot comes back with a reply "Hardware changes might not have been detected" "Fixed" with the green check mark !!

From settings I tried a manual Windows Update via Update & Security. The Windows update reply is the following:-

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80080008)

This error message is more relevant to XP I think.

Windows Update agent installer....downloaded that.....didn't help, error message came back "encountered unrecoverable error"

Have tried most options from ASUS except recovery and re-start. This makes me a little nervous, but hope you can help.

Many thanks

Tatum Mansion Phuket, Dec 31, 2015
  4. No audio device in Windows 10

Try this.
    Go into Device Manager (right click Start Menu button, then click Device Manager) Open up the tree under Sound, video and game controllers. You should get something like this:

No audio device in Windows 10 [​IMG]

Post a screenshot of your own.

Michaelvas17, Dec 31, 2015
  5. RandomGuy Win User
    There are only hidden items under that node. If I install the Windows 7 audio driver from Realtek, it appears there but with a "warning sign" (same as the High Definition Audio-Controller).

RandomGuy, Dec 31, 2015
  6. Try uninstalling the High-Definition Audio Controller, restart and see if that helps. You should do the same if you find the Realtek device in there.

Michaelvas17, Dec 31, 2015
  7. RandomGuy Win User
    I unistalled it and restarted. It automatically added itself again but it still doesn't work. I managed to install the newest Realtek driver and added it as legacy hardware, but it has a "warning sign" next to it (even after uninstalling/restarting etc.). The error message says "the request is not supported".

RandomGuy, Dec 31, 2015
  8. bobkn Win User

Have you tried removing the Realtek device from device manager and checked the box to delete its drivers?

Don't reboot after that. Run the latest Realtek installer; it should install drivers without uninstalling the old ones and rebooting the machine.

I don't know if that will help, but it may.

bobkn, Jan 1, 2016
  9. RandomGuy Win User
    I just tried that, but it doesn't work... I still get he same error.

RandomGuy, Jan 1, 2016
  10. RandomGuy Win User
    Reinstalling Windows 7 worked...

RandomGuy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No audio device in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - audio device

2. Default audio device resetting to default when system boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default audio device resetting to default when system boots: Headset - Steel series arctis 1 wirelessThe headset has a number of options for audio output chat, gaming, speakersTo allow me to hear people in discord and use them as general sound output it has to be set to speakers headset speakers when booting the system the audio output...
  3. Default audio device resetting to default when system boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default audio device resetting to default when system boots: Headset - Steel series arctis 1 wirelessThe headset has a number of options for audio output chat, gaming, speakersTo allow me to hear people in discord and use them as general sound output it has to be set to speakers headset speakers when booting the system the audio output...
  4. Windows 10 forcefully disconnects my bluetooth audio device when playing a game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 forcefully disconnects my bluetooth audio device when playing a game.: The issue is as mentioned in the title. I have no problems with bluetooth audio playback on headsets or soundbars while browsing or working, yet when I open a game, the device disconnects completely within a few seconds. This is not limited to any single bluetooth audio...
  5. Windows 10 forcefully disconnects my bluetooth audio device when playing a game.

Windows 10 forcefully disconnects my bluetooth audio device when playing a game.: The issue is as mentioned in the title. I have no problems with bluetooth audio playback on headsets or soundbars while browsing or working, yet when I open a game, the device disconnects completely within a few seconds. This is not limited to any single bluetooth audio...
  6. how to audio driver installed in my device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to audio driver installed in my device: audio driver installed in my device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-audio-driver-installed-in-my-device/aaea1d61-e7a3-4ffd-9a6e-c278e92f9a2d
  7. how to audio driver installed in my device

how to audio driver installed in my device: audio driver installed in my device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-audio-driver-installed-in-my-device/aaea1d61-e7a3-4ffd-9a6e-c278e92f9a2d
  8. how to audio driver installed in my device

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  9. USB Headset being recognized as Speakers USB Audio Device

USB Headset being recognized as Speakers USB Audio Device: Few days ago, I bought a dual 3.5 jack headset. The only flaw was that the stereo audio on it wasn't working and the sound quality felt very bad. Later I realized that it was being detected as "Speakers". I returned it to Amazon thinking that it was a manufacturing defect.I...
  10. USB Headset being recognized as Speakers USB Audio Device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Headset being recognized as Speakers USB Audio Device: Few days ago, I bought a dual 3.5 jack headset. The only flaw was that the stereo audio on it wasn't working and the sound quality felt very bad. Later I realized that it was being detected as "Speakers". I returned it to Amazon thinking that it was a manufacturing defect.I...