Windows 10: No audio in certain games when lowering resolution below native resolution

Discus and support No audio in certain games when lowering resolution below native resolution in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello there. For quite a long time now, I have been facing a very annoying issue. When I play a few games, I need to change the resolution since my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by RuahezRajin, Mar 24, 2020.

1. No audio in certain games when lowering resolution below native resolution

Hello there. For quite a long time now, I have been facing a very annoying issue. When I play a few games, I need to change the resolution since my PC is not exactly powerful. However, when I lower the resolution below my native resolution, which is 1920x1080, the game does not have any audio. E.g Skyrim. I have no idea what is causing this problem. I have tried disabling every single audio device and driver except for the one I use but I have found no luck. I have tried CheVolume to redirect skyrim's audio to the one I use I use display audio but it keeps crashing for no reason whatsoever. I have tried using audio router and that did not work either, it keeps saying routing pending. Is there anyway to fix this?

:)

RuahezRajin, Mar 24, 2020
  2. BossDweeb Win User

Does running a game fullscreen at a lower resolution other than the native resolution on your PC hurt or damage the monitor in any way?

It's safe to use standard low resolutions such as 1680x1050, or lower on a monitor with a native 1920x1080 res.

The only disadvantage is the image is not as sharp (not dramatically ) on an LCD monitor when not using

the native res compared to using a lower res on the old CRT monitors.

Anything that is shown on the Display > Resolution tab, or in games graphics setup would be a standard resolution.

- A small drop in res such as this may yield a few extra fps, but lowering or disabling Anti-aliasing

(a higher res is similar to using 2XAA for reducing jagged edges ), or PhysX may be more productive,

followed by texture settings and draw distance.

- Using a 'custom' resolution may damage the monitor, but it is more likely to be rejected and

cause an 'out of range' or similar error message in conjunction with a black screen.

The exception here is if your are using Nvidia's DSR, or the AMD equivalent, to attain a higher than native res

as this is done at driver level.

EDIT: Note the comment ...

"Playing high resolution game in lower resolution may cause problem with the game and the

game may not work smoothly."

is misinformed. The game may not look as good if you use a very low res, but that's the only issue.

- It is also safe to change the monitors resolution (vs using the in game settings), but not it's necessary

with games.

BossDweeb, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Does running a game fullscreen at a lower resolution other than the native resolution on your PC hurt or damage the monitor in any way?

Original title: Will non-native resolutions damage monitor?

I just had a random question.

Does running a game fullscreen at a lower resolution other than the native resolution on your PC hurt or damage the monitor in any way?

I have a 1080p monitor, but want to run a game at a better performance so I have wanted to run the game at 720p fullscreen, but do not want to mess up the pixels or something.

Thank you!

Adriano Matos, Mar 24, 2020
  4. BossDweeb Win User

No audio in certain games when lowering resolution below native resolution

Games won't run if not Native Resolution.

"a 4k screen but my card is not powerful enough to run games at this resolution so i opt for 1440p or 1080p

depending on the best fps."

Win10 has commandeered screen scaling, so the screen scaling options in your graphics processors Control Panel

do nothing on Win10. Meaning you can no longer force full screen, in most cases.

Particularly when using a low resolution that is native to 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratios. Black bars on the side

is the only option in most such games.

Some games will run with black bars all around when using a wide screen res that is lower than the

monitors native res, but will still centered on the screen.

- A lot depends on the game in question. There seems to be a few variables that result from the games engine.

I don't know why some games would be forced to run in a Window, but I've not used a 4K monitor.

- There are some games that will run full screen regardless of the resolution you select ( Crysis ).

I assume these games have their own screen scaling override in the games engine.

- With some others ( MOH-WAW ) you still get full screen if the aspect ratio of a lower resolution

you select is the same as the monitors native aspect ratio .

eg - 1280x720 will run full screen on a monitor with native 1920x1080, as the are both 16:9 aspect ratio.

- Other than those exceptions, all games will run with the aspect ratio that corresponds to the resolution.

- I do have some games that will go into Windowed mode if I click on anything while launching the game,

but the game will go back full screen after resetting the option in the games settings. This is not peculiar

to Win10 though. It also happens on Win7.

- You could try lowering the desktop resolution to that of the games before launching games.

- I wonder if games that have a borderless Windowed option will run a full screen borderless Window

at a resolution below the monitors native res ?

- Apparently MS has done this to allow for better scaling when attaching phones and notebooks/tablets to

a Win10 machine. MS keeps trying to dumb Windows down, but as with many past efforts, this makes Windows

less customisable, and doesn't really make using Windows any easier. More problematic if anything, I reckon.

This is just one of several issues that make a lie out of MS's claim that Win10 is the best

gaming Windows ever.

BossDweeb, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

No audio in certain games when lowering resolution below native resolution

1. No audio in certain games when lowering resolution below native resolution - Similar Threads - audio certain games

2. Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<": Hello, today I have a small problem but it makes me crazy I have searched everywhere and can find a solution to it. my laptop Latitude E7470 i5 6th Gen. Screen resolution was 1980 x 1080 recommended and it was fine, but I have been installing Ubuntu for a short time and...
  3. Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Native Resolution Screen Resolution Changed by it self>,<": Hello, today I have a small problem but it makes me crazy I have searched everywhere and can find a solution to it. my laptop Latitude E7470 i5 6th Gen. Screen resolution was 1980 x 1080 recommended and it was fine, but I have been installing Ubuntu for a short time and...
  4. Full screen games with lower resolution than native resolution change the display resulution

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Full screen games with lower resolution than native resolution change the display resulution: Recently I bought a 4k monitor and tried to play Apex Legends in full HD resolution. because I want to use it as 4k for programming and 4k requires too much power to play games.But I noticed that when games go into full HD full screen mode, Windows also go into HD resolution....
  5. Full screen games with lower resolution than native resolution change the display resulution

Full screen games with lower resolution than native resolution change the display resulution: Recently I bought a 4k monitor and tried to play Apex Legends in full HD resolution. because I want to use it as 4k for programming and 4k requires too much power to play games.But I noticed that when games go into full HD full screen mode, Windows also go into HD resolution....
  6. Monitors Native Resolution

Monitors Native Resolution: Hello. I was wondering if there was a way to change my monitors Native resolution within windows. I know how to change the resolution through the windows settings, but its doesn't change it the way I want it to. The NVIDIA program DSR will upscale your native resolution by...
  7. Monitors Native Resolution

in Windows 10 Customization
    Monitors Native Resolution: Hello. I was wondering if there was a way to change my monitors Native resolution within windows. I know how to change the resolution through the windows settings, but its doesn't change it the way I want it to. The NVIDIA program DSR will upscale your native resolution by...
  8. Monitors Native Resolution

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. wrong native resolution

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    wrong native resolution: After i formatted pc, i have wrong native resolution in win 10. before formatting everything is good. I have already updated drivers too. I have done everything i could already but nothing works. native resolution is stuck in 1024 x 768 when its supposed to be 1366 x 768 158679
  10. wrong native resolution

in Windows 10 Support
    wrong native resolution: After i formatted pc, i have wrong native resolution in win 10. before formatting everything is good. I have already updated drivers too. I have done everything i could already but nothing works. native resolution is stuck in 1024 x 768 when its supposed to be 1366 x 768 158679

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc gaming when go.to different resolution i lose sound