Windows 10: No Audio Output Device is installed

Discus and support No Audio Output Device is installed in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Yesterday my sound was working fine, I walked away from my notebook for 15 minutes and came back and the sound icon had a red X against it. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lawrenceg, Oct 20, 2016.

1. lawrenceg Win User

No Audio Output Device is installed

Hi,

Yesterday my sound was working fine, I walked away from my notebook for 15 minutes and came back and the sound icon had a red X against it. The error message when I hover over it is 'No Audio Output Device is installed'.

In Device Manager the error message for Realtek High Definition Audio is: This device cannot start. (Code 10), although there have been different error messages depending on where I am at with troubleshooting.

I have tried reinstalling RealTek drivers on the sound card, rolling back drivers, using sound troubleshooter, system restore etc with no luck.

I have also spoken to Windows support and they couldn't resolve the issue and suggested I contact the notebook manufacturer (ASUS). I tried doing this but ran into errors on their website.

Are there any further suggestions anyone could recommend that I try?

Some details of my system:

Manufacturer/Model: ASUS X555LJ
    Processor: i7-5500U
    Ram: 8GB

Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Lawrence

:)

lawrenceg, Oct 20, 2016
  2. Jason7G Win User

No audio, 'No Audio Output Device Is Installed', have already updated BIOS and chipset and drivers, Windows 10

I am having this VERY same issue and have exhausted the VERY same measures as you did. I would love to hear a resolution but I don't guess there will be one given.

Jason7G, Oct 20, 2016
  3. geoff_903 Win User
    No audio, 'No Audio Output Device Is Installed', have already updated BIOS and chipset and drivers, Windows 10

Please, any more suggestions? I'm thinking that there is a way to fix this.

And when I updated the driver for 'High Definition Audio Codecs', Device Manager switched it to 'Realtek High Definition Audio', even though that was already listed under 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers' (so now 'Realtek High Definition Audio' is listed
    twice under r 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers'.

Device Manager also allowed me to install 'Intel WiDi Audio Device', but it still makes no sound at all.

And under 'System Devices', my computer tells me that the driver for 'High Definition Audio Controller' is up to date, but it still has a yellow bang mark next to it (nothing I do seems to ever change that - any suggestsions?)

geoff_903, Oct 20, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

When you uninstalled the drivers did you use the Realtek utility, or do it through device manager? It might make sense to do both (first with the vendor utility, then DevMgr). When doing the DevMgr part be sure to check the delete software checkbox in the uninstall Window as shown here:

No Audio Output Device is installed [​IMG]

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 20, 2016
  5. lawrenceg Win User
    Thanks for replying Ed.

I'm not sure how to use the Realtek Utility at all?

I have uninstalled the drivers with the software removal checked as well. When I reinstalled the latest Realtek driver it would not even appear in DevMgr after, but other times would. It's very random.

Yesterday I installed a Realtek driver and rebooted, the sound was back for about 15 minutes and then again it said there was no audio output device installed.

If you could let me know how to use the Realtek Utility I'll give that a go.

Thanks

lawrenceg, Oct 22, 2016
  6. lawrenceg Win User
    So I did a repair install using MediaCreationTool and reinstalled the Realtek driver from the Realtek site and not ASUS.

Now Realtek High Definition Audio shows up with the yellow triangle and the error message: The device cannot start (Code 10)

Any ideas?

Lawrence

lawrenceg, Oct 23, 2016
  7. EdTittel Win User
    You need to go into Programs and Features, then right-click the Realtek entry (here's a screencap of what it looks like on my system):

No Audio Output Device is installed [​IMG]

Then, once you've done this, you can go into DevMgr and remove all traces of your Realfek item. Then reboot, and you can try starting over. I wouldn't recommend a repair install. You want to start fresh, so try to kill all traces of your current Realtek stuff before laying down a new, pristine set of drivers.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

PS: sorry to be slow in following up with you. I took the family to the Texas State Fair in Dallas this weekend, and a two-day break from all things computing related. Glad to be back at my desk!

EdTittel, Oct 23, 2016
  8. lawrenceg Win User

Hi Ed,

I've tried doing it using that process and still had no luck. Even if I remove all traces of Realtek from my PC and install the latest drivers I still get the No Audio Output Device message.

I feel like I've tried everything!

lawrenceg, Oct 26, 2016
  9. EdTittel Win User
    OK, then, it's time to try some more radical approaches. Ask around and see if you can borrow a USB headset like the Logitech H340 ($30). If that works, you can be reasonably sure something is wonky with your RealTek circuitry (which is what it's starting to sound like, or not sound like, rather). You might want to start thinking about an add-in audio card (the Asus Xonar models are great for hi-fidelity audio, but some of their models have win10 driver issues; creative/sound blaster cards still get good user reviews on Newegg) as a way to bypass that stuff altogether.
    Other than these suggestions, given what you've already tried (and how many times you've tried it) I don't have any other strategies or techniques to suggest. Sorry for your trouble!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 27, 2016
  10. fireberd Win User
    Another thought. If you uninstall the Realtek in the Device Manager and uninstall the driver, then restart the PC when Windows starts it should detect and either install the Generic, Basic Function, High Definition Audio Drivers or possibly download Realtek drivers from Windows updates. See if either of these work.

fireberd, Oct 27, 2016
  11. EdTittel Win User
    Fireberd, I think the OP has already tried that. But it never hurts to try again. Good advice!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 28, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    All of that "Smells" like a HW issue.

CountMike, Oct 28, 2016
  13. Wullail Win User

I've had similar issue before with a USB wireless card , error 10 , turned out to be a hardware issue , did all the same things that the OP has tried to get it working...ended up buying a new one which then worked just fine.

I'd adding my vote to hardware issue , buy a cheap compatible sound card instead.

Wullail, Oct 28, 2016
  14. fireberd Win User
    I wouldn't give up yet on the hardware. One other thing I've seen help is reinstalling the Intel Motherboard Chipset Drivers. One of the things the chipset drivers do is identify all the devices. I've seen reinstalling chipset drivers help in some other cases. Whether it will help here? but worth a try.

fireberd, Oct 28, 2016
  15. EdTittel Win User
    Good call Fireberd: I hadn't thought to recommend that. Funky, outdated, or corrupted chipset drivers can mung all kinds of other system capabilities, including audio. Thanks!
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 28, 2016
Thema:

1. No Audio Output Device is installed - Similar Threads - Audio Output Device

2. No audio output device is installed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No audio output device is installed: Hi,Laptop: Medion P6645 / Windows 10I turned my laptop on this morning and there is a red cross next to my speaker icon.It says speaker setup unknown and in output and input devices there are no options to select.In device manager sound is hidden, unhiding it I then...
  3. No Audio Output Devices in installed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Audio Output Devices in installed: I know this has been widely discussed and Carlo TJ Independent Advisor https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/profile/29478bd8-e990-4de7-b01b-862427c4f74b , Replied on July 1, 2021 on No Audio Output device is installed - Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.The problem is the...
  4. No Audio Output Device Installed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No Audio Output Device Installed: Hello! I installed realtek as no audio output device installed. Now it has a yellow triangle. Realtek High Definition Audio" Any help? This device cannot start. Code 10 --> This is error reported in the Device manager...
  5. No Audio Output Device is installed

No Audio Output Device is installed: Been having this problem for about a week now, Have tried pretty much everything from doing stuff in device manager to system recovery. Nothing works and I can't do a windows reset cause others use the computer, Windows 10 version 2004...
  6. No Audio Output Device is Installed

No Audio Output Device is Installed: So, I know that this is really late, but didn't install the latest update until yesterday just because I was too lazy to deal with it. My problem is pretty much the same as everyone else; my audio just doesn't work and when I hover my cursor over the speaker icon in the...
  7. No Audio Output Device is installed

No Audio Output Device is installed: I plugged a HDMI cord into my computer as I have since I purchased it 1 year ago today I unplugged the HDMI cord and now I have no sound on my lap top it shows an exclamation point in the device manager but when I update the driver it says I am current. The speaker at the...
  8. No audio Output device is installed

in Windows 10 Customization
    No audio Output device is installed: One day i logged on to my pc and i realize that my audio wasn't working. Every time i clicked on it will always pop up to trouble shoot it. It wont allow to adjust the sound so i cant hear anything out of my headset. Can someone please help...
  9. No audio output device is installed

No audio output device is installed: I bought a new headset, plugged it in, sound works great. Of course, when ever i'm using a computer something has to fail. And this something was the microphone. Microphone works fine on other devices. It appeared that the mic was not plugged in(yes, I did plug it in). After...
  10. No Audio Output Device is installed

No Audio Output Device is installed: Hi. Long time ago, I play with upgrading HDD to SSD, GRUB and some other stuff and I failed and messed my computer up. Now my desktop is still using HDD and does not produce any sound. I tried to fix this problem by Googling "No Audio output device is installed" but I...