Windows 10: No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV

Discus and support No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I own a laptop capable of decoding HEVC (i7-8550U, MX150) . I have HEVC Video Extensions from Microsoft store installed. Movies & TV is able to decode... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Carbon_Trioxide, Feb 26, 2020.

1. No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV

I own a laptop capable of decoding HEVC (i7-8550U, MX150) . I have HEVC Video Extensions from Microsoft store installed. Movies & TV is able to decode x265 images, but no audio. Does anyone know how to fix this (I know I can switch to VLC or other program, but I would love to use native Windows program to watch movies).

submitted by /u/Carbon_Trioxide
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Carbon_Trioxide, Feb 26, 2020
  2. akgt94 Win User

Directories with HEVC/x265 or Hi10p/10bit video sluggish

This was working for me in the Anniversary Update and Creators Update, but has been slowly going downhill after the Fall Creators Update (build 1709). After updating to the Fall Creators Update, I could sometimes get thumbnails to show up in Explorer, sometimes
    not. I could sometimes get HEVC video to play in Movies & TV and Movie Moments, sometimes not. Now File Explorer won't create any HEVC thumbnails and HEVC video won't play in any of the Microsoft desktop or metro apps.

Here's what I've been able to piece together from a couple of different sources:

• Microsoft removed native HEVC support from the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.
    • If you applied a feature update from a previous version (Creators, etc.), you were supposed to retain HEVC support. Wasn't quite true for me, which is how I found this thread. The work-around I mentioned in a previous reply has now stopped working.
    • Update KB4041994 enables SOME systems to ADD HEVC support back. There's a hidden app in the Microsoft Store called "HEVC Video Extension". Windows may add it manually. The app only enables HARDWARE HEVC decoding.
      You need a video card or processor released within the last ~year to get it though (Kaby Lake, Kaby Lake Refresh and Coffee Lake, and GPUs like AMD's RX 400, RX 500 and RX Vega 56/64, and Nividia's GeForce GTX 1000 and GTX 950 and 960 series.)
    • One of the sources suggests software HEVC decoding might become available as a paid app in the Windows Store in the future. No further info available.
    I did a clean install of the Fall Creators Update in Virtualbox. Applied all the updates and installed the "HEVC Video Extension" from the store. MP4 opens in Movies & TV metro app; HEVC video is blank, but HE-AAC audio plays. The slow folder refresh issue
    with HEVC files exists.

I have a mid-range desktop processor and video card from early 2013. VLC plays 1080p HEVC using just a couple of percent CPU. I can encode 480p 30FPS in real time using the x.265 Medium preset. My system doesn't need hardware-accelerated encoding / decoding.

As for the original issue. I took someone's suggestion and installed Icaros. Explorer refresh is speedy and I get thumbnails not only for HEVC MP4/MKV, but also FLV (like Icaros claims - anything FFMPEG can decode).

Additional info:

akgt94, Feb 26, 2020
  3. Kuloskap Win User
    movies & TV app can't play sound in mkv files?

Thanks, but - "Movies & TV" as it is now called is a Windows built-in App; it has a superior HEVC video codec which plays 4K h265 10-bit video more smoothly than latest VLC, Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic (aka, K-Lite).
    Unfortunately, the Movies & TV app gags on many audio formats - which ARE supported by those 3 other Apps. So - if I want sound with my HEVC movies, I have to put up with occasional freezes and dropped frames... OR - I may be forced to choose
    smooth playback - without sound! (Ms actually suggests using VLC to convert MKV to MP4, but it took 3+ hours on a reasonably fast laptop, to convert 1 movie & it was
    still was silent (in Movies & TV) after converting to MP4 file No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV :) < Grrr! >

(Btw, the MacOS version of VLC does play all of those 'problematic' 4K HEVC video files smoothly - with sound - and on a 6-year old Mac laptop.)

Kuloskap, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV

DTS audio is not playing on Movies&Tv

Hi Abdul,

A DTS audio file format is not supported by the Movies&Tv app which is why you're unable to play it. To better assist you, we suggest that you visit this

link
    . From there you'll see all of the file formats being supported by the Movies&Tv app.

Hope this information is helpful.

Paolo Mag, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV

1. No audio when playing HEVC videos using Windows Movies & TV - Similar Threads - audio playing HEVC

2. Movies and TV casting audio but no video

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Movies and TV casting audio but no video: I was able to cast both audio and video for a few days, but now its only allowing audio. The app itself cant find the Chromecast but google chrome allows me to cast my screen and then the app only gives audio now. Every other app allows me to cast both video and audio from...
  3. Movies and TV casting audio but no video

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Movies and TV casting audio but no video: I was able to cast both audio and video for a few days, but now its only allowing audio. The app itself cant find the Chromecast but google chrome allows me to cast my screen and then the app only gives audio now. Every other app allows me to cast both video and audio from...
  4. Getting this error when I try to play videos in Movies & TV app & videos will not...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting this error when I try to play videos in Movies & TV app & videos will not...: I can get my videos to play on other video players, but I need them to be working in the Movies & TV app because the software that I work with for video editing reads them from that app & now non of my project files can open the videos and I cannot do any of my work on my...
  5. Movies & TV audio

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Movies & TV audio: Starting using Movies & TV to play recorded TV shows after upgrading to Win10 and it worked well. Recently, however, it will play the recordings with video but audio is gone. If I go back to the program that I used to use for playback Hauppauge WinTV 8.5 everything works as...
  6. GPU overheating when playing a video on Movies & TV

GPU overheating when playing a video on Movies & TV: I literally wanted to watch a video on the app and after 2 min. my PC shuts off. I thought it overheated. The next day i wanted to see what did that. So i opened MSI Afternurner and played a video on the app and saw the GPU temperature was going up fast until it shut off to...
  7. Unable to play hevc files in Movies and TV app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to play hevc files in Movies and TV app: [ATTACH] Please Help, I can't play some videos in Movies and TV app, whenever I click on the file, The App goes into a weird full screen with dark no video and then immediately crashes. I've noted the codec from VLC, a screenshot of codec information of the file is posted...
  8. Movies&TV not playing video files 0x887c0077

Movies&TV not playing video files 0x887c0077: Hello, I recently updated Windows 10. After the update, it asked if I'd like to delete the old copy of Windows to free up drive space. I did that, now none of my video files, it doesn't matter if it's mp4 or not, will play for a half of second then give me error...
  9. audio ahead of video when playing movies

in Windows 10 Customization
    audio ahead of video when playing movies: audio ahead of video when playing movies https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/audio-ahead-of-video-when-playing-movies/3bfacb64-9218-472c-aa41-68f1aa29e0b0
  10. No Color in Movies and TV while playing videos

No Color in Movies and TV while playing videos: Why no color in The app Movies and TV? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-movies/no-color-in-movies-and-tv-while-playing-videos/e8321ded-81c1-4e47-982b-9618990b361d

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hevc audio problem

2. movies in hevc cant play sound on tv

3. why is my pc not play hevc sound

4. why is hevc 1080p x265 movies not playing sound on my movies and tv app