Windows 10: No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive

Discus and support No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I initially posted about this problem a few days ago to a thread that seemed to be addressing a similar problem, but the OP decided to stop pursuing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Cincinnatux, Jul 21, 2015.

1. No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive

I initially posted about this problem a few days ago to a thread that seemed to be addressing a similar problem, but the OP decided to stop pursuing active solutions so the advice dried up.

I am running Win10 build 10240 and ever since build 10166 I have lost authority to save files to Documents. My workaround was to rely on OneDrive, but now I've lost the ability to access OneDrive. So now I'm saving to Desktop and then manually transferring files to Documents through Windows Explorer. I am concerned that my problem has not yet hit bottom and I really ought to fix it. I'd conduct a clean install of Win10, but Microsoft does not appear to have released an ISO of 10240 for Windows Insider users, making that solution a bit tough at the moment.

The new problem with OneDrive is that any time I try to access OneDrive, it opens up the "Welcome to OneDrive" setup wizard. I then provide my *.live login with strong password, then enter the texted double-authentication code sent to my phone. The wizard then warns me that I already have files in the default OneDrive directory, so I tell it to merge the new with the old. Then, when I try to access OneDrive, I get the following error message:

No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive [​IMG]

...and I'm back to where I started. It opens the setup wizard instead of opening any of the directories within my OneDrive.

Suggestions? Is there a DL-able ISO for 10240 (Home version)?

What I have tried so far:
    Assuming that the problem is a corrupted user profile, I created two alternate profiles and followed Microsoft's directions for Windows 8.1 as far as recovering a corrupted profile. But that process failed because even with the new profiles I was denied permission to access Documents.

:)

Cincinnatux, Jul 21, 2015

2. Windows 10 :Can not Save Scanned File to My Computer - Access Denied

The path for saving was my normal DOCUMENTS path. I have a folder called HOUSEHOLD that I wanted to save the emailed file to. The error told me that this folder was not authorized - and asked if I wanted to save to just DOCUMENTS. I said yes - but it
    still refused to save to the other location.

I did find that I could save this file to my ONEDRIVE folder however. I normally do not use ONEDRIVE but tried it as I did not want to have to save files to a thumbdrive or such as others suggested.

When looking at the PROPERTIES of Docs/Household, etc. it shows as Read Only Authorization. This came about after updating to Windows 10. to date have found no way to save "external" files (emailed, scanned from my HP scanner, etc) to my PC. Again
    though I think they will be saved to my ONEDRIVE (which before in Windows 7 I rarely if ever used).

When I tried to change in PROPERTIES from READ ONLY (unchecked the box) - it still did not work to save files ( I did not reboot computer after I did this - so do not know if had I done that it would have worked).

4HelpMe Please, Jul 21, 2015
  3. Disabling Automatic Save of Documents to OneDrive

Hi Eric,

Are you referring to Office documents or all file types? If you are referring to Office documents, which version of Office is installed in your PC? Please let us know this information so that we will be assist you better.

Bennet Martin, Jul 21, 2015
  4. No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive

Take your windows out of Development mode

MrHardNails, Apr 11, 2016
Thema:

No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive

1. No authority to save files to Documents, OneDrive - Similar Threads - authority save files

2. PDF files are not saving. They are saving as word documents!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF files are not saving. They are saving as word documents!: Hi there, in the last couple of weeks I cannot print a pdf file to save in my documents. I have Windows 11. The file shows in my documents as a Word document! Plus it is completely in gobbledegook! I have tried to restart the computer and it is still happening. I have tried...
  3. PDF files are not saving. They are saving as word documents!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF files are not saving. They are saving as word documents!: Hi there, in the last couple of weeks I cannot print a pdf file to save in my documents. I have Windows 11. The file shows in my documents as a Word document! Plus it is completely in gobbledegook! I have tried to restart the computer and it is still happening. I have tried...
  4. File is not saving on OneDrive automatically

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File is not saving on OneDrive automatically: I am having problems with files I try to edit on my OneDrive.Previously all worked fine, espcially AutoSave.I am logged into OneDrive fine but when I try to save an Excel file I get this error...
  5. document file not saving in documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    document file not saving in documents: since i got a new boot m.2 i had to move my files from the profile to a hard drive so when i download stuff it does not take up space ware my boot is and now when ever an app on my pc saves a file it does not save it in documents it saves the file on my desktop and i cant...
  6. document file not saving in documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    document file not saving in documents: since i got a new boot m.2 i had to move my files from the profile to a hard drive so when i download stuff it does not take up space ware my boot is and now when ever an app on my pc saves a file it does not save it in documents it saves the file on my desktop and i cant...
  7. document file not saving in documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Inkscape is saving to OneDrive folder and not Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Inkscape is saving to OneDrive folder and not Documents: When I go to export a PNG to This PC -> Documents Inkscape is saving to OneDrive/Documents instead. I don't have OneDrive installed. I don't want to have anything to do with OneDrive. 174830
  9. Document files moved to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Support
    Document files moved to OneDrive: My first post here: Windows 10 build 19042 Ver 20H2 I don't know happened. Yesterday, I used Calibre that requires access to files in a folder in my Documents folder. But it wasn't there. All files and folders were gone and apparently moved to onedrive. I was able to move...
  10. unable to save files to Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    unable to save files to Documents: I can save files to Desktop but not to Documents . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-save-files-to-documents/bdd17454-6a52-48bf-bb4d-a48fe6eab323