Windows 10: No auto-restart with logged on users (does not work)

Discus and support No auto-restart with logged on users (does not work) in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My Group Policy setting "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" - which I thought had solved this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/spritewiz, Nov 10, 2020.

1. No auto-restart with logged on users (does not work)

My Group Policy setting "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations" - which I thought had solved this maddening issue for good - did not at all prevent Windows to reboot my laptop for updates when it was idle, for the second month in a row. What is happening?

submitted by /u/spritewiz
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/spritewiz, Nov 10, 2020

2. auto trivia restart script?

I know everyone is so busy here so I'm suggesting an auto restart script so trivia is a benefit instead of a burden. Can anyone make this script?

vectoravtech, Nov 10, 2020
  3. "No auto-restart with logged on users" not working for Windows 10 v1511

Situation: I have enabled GPO settings that specify "No auto-restart with logged on users" at the Domain level. The reason for this is I have users that run code and processes 24/7 from their computers running Windows
    10. These processes must be manually stopped by the user to mitigate losing data. The problem is right now Windows 10 still reboots even with the user logged on but sitting at a locked screen. I have been able to recreate this problem in my test environment
    using two Windows 10 laptops.

Environment: Server 2012r2 \ Windows 10 v1511 all running the most recent WU as of JUL2016

I have verified at client RSOP settings are correctly being reported.

Enable client-side targeting - Enabled

Configure Automatic Updates - Not Configured**

No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates - Enabled

Specify intranet Microsoft update service location - Enabled

Problem: On my test machines I have enabled "Notify to schedule restart". The problem is even when the user is logged in but at a locked screen or connected via RDP and disconnects the session(not logged off)... The machine will still reboot
    at the scheduled time. MS documentation shows that this should not happen because of the "No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates" -Enabled switch. Also each time updates install the default reboot is set to "A restart has been
    scheduled" even when in the advanced options "Notify to schedule restart" is enabled.

I need a solution or information regarding how to:

A)Stop windows from rebooting when a user is logged in, even from a locked screen, and or RDP session disconnect (not logoff).

B)Only restart when a user manually initiates the reboot.

This is a separate problem with Windows 10 that I will post in a different thread. But related to what I am posting here.

**If I enable ANY of the "Configure Automatic Updates" options form the Domain Group Policy Management, I lose the ability to select "Notify to schedule restart" in the Advanced Options page of Windows Update in Control Panel. This includes
    if I select option #5 "Allow local administrators to select the configuration mode that Automatic Updates should notify and install updates". The box will display a greyed out option with "Some settings are managed by your organization".

I want to be able to allow the users to choose:

A)When to install the updates

B)Manually choose when to reboot, with never rebooting when a user is logged on even from a lock screen or disconnected RDP session(not logged off).

Anyone seeing similar issues or found a solution?

CHASE NELSON, Nov 10, 2020
  4. No auto-restart with logged on users (does not work)

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

No auto-restart with logged on users (does not work)

1. No auto-restart with logged on users (does not work) - Similar Threads - auto restart logged

2. Windows 11 Pro Group Policy No Auto Restart Does Stop Auto Restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro Group Policy No Auto Restart Does Stop Auto Restarts: I run code that can take several days. To prevent auto restart after updates, I selected the No Auto Restart feature in group policy. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. I just lost a week's worth of work, again. I am using windows 11 pro and i have had the same...
  3. Windows 11 Pro Group Policy No Auto Restart Does Stop Auto Restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro Group Policy No Auto Restart Does Stop Auto Restarts: I run code that can take several days. To prevent auto restart after updates, I selected the No Auto Restart feature in group policy. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't. I just lost a week's worth of work, again. I am using windows 11 pro and i have had the same...
  4. Automatic Windows restart despite gpedit set to 'no auto-restart with logged on users'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Windows restart despite gpedit set to 'no auto-restart with logged on users': Version: Windows 10 Pro NAs the title says, my Windows device is configured by the Group Policy Editor to *not* restart automatically, yet Windows Update is forcing my device to do so anyway. This is problematic, as I let tasks such as virus scans and HDD defragging run...
  5. Automatic Windows restart despite gpedit set to 'no auto-restart with logged on users'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Windows restart despite gpedit set to 'no auto-restart with logged on users': Version: Windows 10 Pro NAs the title says, my Windows device is configured by the Group Policy Editor to *not* restart automatically, yet Windows Update is forcing my device to do so anyway. This is problematic, as I let tasks such as virus scans and HDD defragging run...
  6. Automatic Windows restart despite gpedit set to 'no auto-restart with logged on users'

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Auto log in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Auto log in: Windows 10 pro 64 machine. Auto log on enabled and works when starting up after a shutdown. However, when switching to a user with no password required, and then switching back to original user, the login screen pops up and the password must be entered to complete the switch....
  8. New User Full Admin - Auto Log in

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New User Full Admin - Auto Log in: Win 10 pro How do I create a new user account with full admin rights. Then make it so that when I switch on the laptop, that account appears on the welcome screen first and logs in automatically (without the need for a password every time) Asus Pu511a 4gb ram core i5 122662
  9. New User Full Admin - Auto Log in

in Windows 10 Support
    New User Full Admin - Auto Log in: Win 10 pro How do I create a new user account with full admin rights. Then make it so that when I switch on the laptop, that account appears on the welcome screen first and logs in automatically (without the need for a password every time) Asus Pu511a 4gb ram core i5 122662
  10. Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows is Auto Logging into last User Account: Let me briefly explain as I have seen many of the post already on similar topics. I have multiple computers at multiple office and home locations all running windows 10 home edition (32 and 64). Lately (maybe last 6 months or so) windows is now logging into the last account...