Windows 10: No BitLocker Recovery Key prompt when Secure Boot was Disabled

Discus and support No BitLocker Recovery Key prompt when Secure Boot was Disabled in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I went into my UEFI settings to disable Secure Boot as I needed to test some programs and when rebooting my laptop, it went directly to the Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by win10freak, Apr 7, 2019.

1. No BitLocker Recovery Key prompt when Secure Boot was Disabled

I went into my UEFI settings to disable Secure Boot as I needed to test some programs and when rebooting my laptop, it went directly to the Windows logon screen without asking for the BitLocker Recovery key. Is this normal?

:)

win10freak, Apr 7, 2019
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Prompt for BitLocker key

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft community forums.

I understand that it can be difficult when your own computer is inaccessible due to some changes that could have happened. However, let's try a few troubleshooting steps and see if we can access the drive.

• Are you aware of any changes that happened on the computer prior to this issue?
    • Did you setup a BitLocker on your device before?

If you’ve not setup the BitLocker and it’s still prompting for the key,
    you may try to locate the BitLocker key on your Microsoft account, which will help you access the drive. Refer
    Find my BitLocker recovery key to
    know how to find the BitLocker recovery key.

If no recovery key is found, you may enable the secure boot setting from BIOS and check if you can access the drive.

• Power off the device and then power it on.
    • Look for a message on the boot screen just before or after the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the
      ‘F1’,’F2’, or
      ‘Delete’button, whatever key is indicated on the boot screen to enter BIOS Settings.
    • Within BIOS, choose the tab ‘BOOT’.
    Note: Depending on the BIOS manufacturer this page could be
    BOOT, ADVANCED, STARTUP etc.

• Look for a setting called
      ‘UEFI Secure Boot’ and toggle the Secure Boot setting to
      ‘Enabled’.
    Note: Each BIOS could have a different name for
    UEFI Secure Boot. These are the keywords to look for:
    ‘UEFI’, ‘Secure Boot’,‘Legacy Boot’.

• Restart the machine now to see if you can access the drive.

Note:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Apr 7, 2019
  3. pj04 Win User
    Asking for Bitlocker recovery key on login

So I was playing with BIOS settings for reformatting my laptop and reinstalling Windows using bootable USB drive. I didn't succeed and I probably did something stupid. Now I'm not able to login into my laptop. It's asking me for bitlocker recovery key on both disabled and enabled settings of secure boot.

On "Enabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot policy has unexpectedly changed."

No BitLocker Recovery Key prompt when Secure Boot was Disabled [​IMG]

On "Disabled" setting, it says "Bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because Secure Boot has been disabled. Either Secure Boot must be re-enabled, or Bitlocker must be suspended for Windows to start normally."

No BitLocker Recovery Key prompt when Secure Boot was Disabled [​IMG]

I don't have a recovery key. I don't remember setting one. I even searched for it in my Microsoft account. My device (ASUS X205TA) is listed but the recovery key is not.

Note that I don't have any useful data in the laptop, so I'd be fine with reinstalling windows even if I loose all the data. I just want to be able to use my laptop again.

pj04, Apr 7, 2019
  4. Junaid_A Win User

No BitLocker Recovery Key prompt when Secure Boot was Disabled

Prompt for Bitlocker key after uninstalling updates - Windows 10

Hi Joe,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forum.

I understand that it can be difficult when your own computer is inaccessible due to some changes that could have happened. However, let's try a few troubleshooting steps and see if we can access the drive.

• Is the BitLocker Recovery key that you found, valid?
    • If yes, what exactly happens when you enter the key?

If it's not a valid key, you may try to locate the BitLocker key on your Microsoft account, which will help you access the drive. Refer
    Find my BitLocker recovery key
    to know how to find the BitLocker recovery key.

If no recovery key is found, enable the secure boot setting from BIOS and see if you can access the drive.

• Power off the device and then power it on.
    • Look for a message on the boot screen just before or after the manufacturer logo appears. You may need to press the
      'F1','F2', or 'Delete' button, whatever key is indicated on the boot screen to enter BIOS Settings.
    • Within BIOS, choose the tab 'BOOT'.

(Note: Depending on the BIOS manufacturer this page could be
      BOOT, ADVANCED, STARTUP
      etc.)
    • Look for a setting called 'UEFI Secure Boot' and toggle the Secure Boot setting to
      'Enabled'.

(Note: Each BIOS could have a different name for UEFI Secure Boot. These are the keywords to look for:
      'UEFI', 'Secure Boot', 'Legacy Boot'.)

Restart the machine now.

Note:

Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If the key is valid, try the troubleshooting steps listed in
    BitLocker
    Troubleshooting: Continuous reboot loop with BitLocker recovery

Regards,

Junaid_A, Apr 7, 2019
Thema:

No BitLocker Recovery Key prompt when Secure Boot was Disabled

1. No BitLocker Recovery Key prompt when Secure Boot was Disabled - Similar Threads - BitLocker Recovery Key

2. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt: Hello,I was prompted for bitlocker recovery key when I tried to boot my windows 10 laptob recently 29th Jan, 2024.Did the recent security update trigger this for anyone else or is it alarming that my device could be compromised? I have run some scans and didn't find any...
  3. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key prompt: Hello,I was prompted for bitlocker recovery key when I tried to boot my windows 10 laptob recently 29th Jan, 2024.Did the recent security update trigger this for anyone else or is it alarming that my device could be compromised? I have run some scans and didn't find any...
  4. Bitlocker recovery key prompt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Bitlocker Recovery Key Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker Recovery Key Security: I downloaded a program that asked for my bitlocker number. I couldn't find it on my laptop Windows11 so I used my phone. I input the number. I didn't know what the number was for. Can someone now scan my laptop, making my information at risk?...
  6. Repeated prompt for bitlocker recovery key

Repeated prompt for bitlocker recovery key: Hi, anyone facing this problem recently of getting prompt to enter bitlocker recovery key? im using a ms surface pro6 and had to enter my recovery key every time i restarted my device over the last two days. Appreciate some help here. thanks!...
  7. Dual boot Win10, Win2012R2 is prompting for BitLocker recovery key when booting into...

Dual boot Win10, Win2012R2 is prompting for BitLocker recovery key when booting into...: I got dual boot workstation Win10 Enterprise, Windows Server 2012 R2. Both OS's are on separate disks and corresponding partitions on the disk where OS is installed are encrypted with Bitlocker. The Boot.ini details are Windows 10 C:\WINDOWS Default OS Windows 2012 R2...
  8. Using BitLocker when secure boot is disabled

Using BitLocker when secure boot is disabled: Hello, I would like to know if I turned off Secure boot in windows 10 will I be able to have encrypted drives that do not require a user to enter a boot password. I am currently using an endpoint software for DLP policy and it does not work with secure boot on. If I turn if...
  9. Suddenly prompted for Bitlocker recovery key

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Suddenly prompted for Bitlocker recovery key: Hi, I rebooted my Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 Pro (latest updates), and out of the blue I was prompted for a Bitlocker recovery key. I assume this has to do with hard disk encryption, but I have never enabled this. I just clicked continue to Windows 10 and everything...
  10. BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BitLocker recovery key prompt on startup: Hello Support, My Dell Inspiron 15 does not have a TPM and still I am being asked for a recovery key every time I start my laptop all of a sudden. I have to retype the recovery key every time I start the lappy. Can anyone help. Thanks, Kala...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. secure boot policy has unexpectedly changed

2. you need to enter your recovery key because secure boot policy has unexpectedly changed

3. bitlocker recovery because Secure Boot has been disable

4. secure boot how recover key,
  5. you need to enter your recovery key because secure boot policy has unexpectedly changed?,
  6. disable secure boot enter bitlocker recovery key,
  7. boot to remove bitlocker,
  8. bitlocker no boot promt on uefi,
  9. boot secure recovery key,
  10. bitlocker turn off secure boot,
  11. how to successfuly decrypt bitlocker key from secureboot,
  12. how to unlock hp laptop zbook that has bitlocker recovery key for windows 7 pro,
  13. unlock bitlocker prompt whem windows start,
  14. bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because secure boot,
  15. disable setting bitlocker needs your recovery key to unlock your drive because secure boot policy has unexpectedly changed.