Windows 10: No Boot and BSOD After Partition Extended

Discus and support No Boot and BSOD After Partition Extended in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I just recently upgraded from an earlier build of Windows 10 to the latest build 11099. That went okay. But the problem was when I decided to extend... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ttcg52, Jan 17, 2016.

1. ttcg52 Win User

No Boot and BSOD After Partition Extended

I just recently upgraded from an earlier build of Windows 10 to the latest build 11099. That went okay. But the problem was when I decided to extend the system partition (as it had only 3GB free left), after rebooting to extend the partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard (it required me to reboot so it could unlock the partition). That seemed like it went okay too, but after restarting, I would get a BSOD and no boot up at all. It seems like the partition extension has messed up the boot files. I say that because a folder named "$WINDOWS.~BT" has been created in the root directory of the system drive. (Now it's drive G: because I'm on another system in another partition temporarily).

No Boot and BSOD After Partition Extended [​IMG]

And some other folder as well:

Attachment 59465

So my question is this. Since I have all these boot files here, could it possibly be that while the partition was being extended, the software I used might have messed up those files, and now my Windows doesn't boot up?

If so, or whatever the reason for that matter, is there anything I can do to take those boot files back to where they belong? I'm not gonna do any experiments myself that's why I came to ask the experts for guidance. Please tell me how should I behave in this situation. If you need more info I'm ready to provide.

:)

ttcg52, Jan 17, 2016

2. Huge Logical Drive

The question is can I combine the 785 GB New Volume extended partition with my C: partition?

MarkChorkawyj, Jan 17, 2016
  3. How many partition can i have in Win 8

The number of partitions is not related to the version of Windows but to the type of partitioning scheme you use. The "Basic" scheme supports up to 4 "Primary Partitions". One of these can be an "Extended Partition". This extended partition can contain any
    number of "Logical Partitions". Here are two examples:

• 4 primary partitions
    • 3 primary partitions, 5 logical partitons inside the extended partition.
    You can only boot off a primary partition.

Silence

90% of all requests for help in this forum end with the phrase „All help will be appreciated” or words to this effect.

99% of all requests receive an answer.

40% of posters never acknowledge the help they receive.

Frederik Long, Jan 17, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

What error did you get when trying to boot?

5. Molyy Win User
    Do you have any backups before extending the C drive? If I were you, I would backup the whole hard drive before using partition software like minitool partition wizard or Easeus partition master.

Molyy, Jan 19, 2016
  6. ttcg52 Win User
    All is says in the BSOD message is "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION"

ttcg52, Jan 19, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    Please upload the dumps from G:\Windows\minidump\ if there are any files.
    To upload the dumps, select them > right click > copy > zip and upload the zip.

8. ttcg52 Win User

I tried to find them, but it seems that folder has been deleted! I can try to restore it with another software like Recuva etc, but is it necessary? Can the issue be found also if I send the new weird folders that have appeared? I can do that.

ttcg52, Jan 19, 2016
  9. ttcg52 Win User
    I never do that. It consumes so much time that it is inconvenient enough to not be worth doing it. At least for me.

AND, I doubt I would be able to restore a bootable system from that backup.

ttcg52, Jan 19, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    If that folder contains the dumps from the crashes, else it is not of much use.

Thema:

1. No Boot and BSOD After Partition Extended - Similar Threads - Boot BSOD Partition

2. Unable to extend partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extend partition: I am aware that the unallocated space must be immediately after the partition that I want to extend. The default Windows application cannot move partitions, and I prefer not to use third-party apps.I want to implement the solution provided here first answer. But in my case,...
  3. Unable to extend partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to extend partition: I am aware that the unallocated space must be immediately after the partition that I want to extend. The default Windows application cannot move partitions, and I prefer not to use third-party apps.I want to implement the solution provided here first answer. But in my case,...
  4. extending a harddrive partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    extending a harddrive partition: i recently partitioned a drive on accident and wanted to delete the partition. all i get is greyed out. can anyone help me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extending-a-harddrive-partition/d458fe6e-0515-4b20-bbc1-cc7dc98e0e9f
  5. Trouble Extending Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble Extending Partition: I had ubuntu installed on my PC in dual boot. I delete ubuntu using DISKPART command. But, when I try to extend my HDD space using Disk Management tool, on right clicking, it shows only 'Help' and no 'Extend Volume' option. Please share me with the details how to successfully...
  6. Extend partition

Extend partition: [img] I am planning to replace my HDD with an SSD. I will image the HDD and then restore to the SSD. I have a OEM Recovery partition that I would like to delete after the image has been restored to the SSD. However, I would then like to move the 980MB and extend my C drive...
  7. Extending Primary Partition

Extending Primary Partition: Hi. I noticed my recovery partition was eating up a good 24 GB of my SSD, so I deleted it in Disk Management. However, the Extend Volume option on the primary partition is greyed out, so I am still unable to access the unallocated 24 GB. What must I do to as these 24 GB to my...
  8. Extend Disk partition

Extend Disk partition: Hi i want to extend disk my c drive with a free 48 gb space. but i cannot do that. The extend option is greyed out and i cannot also delete the free disk space. pictures of it are bellow. Please help me increase the disk space. Thank you.[ATTACH]...
  9. Unable to Extend Partition

Unable to Extend Partition: I hope someone can help. Since upgrading to Windows 10 I have had to keep extending the primary partition, now up to 250Gb and full. I do have free capacity on another partition from which I have been taking spare capacity with any problems so far, but the partition tool...
  10. Removing Extended Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing Extended Partition: We did a fresh install of Windows 10 on a computer. When it came to the point of deciding what to do to the existing partitions, we attempted to delete all partitions and end up with on unallocated partition. However there were two partitions which we could not remove so we...