Windows 10: No Boot and can't get to a system reset screen

Discus and support No Boot and can't get to a system reset screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I crashed on trying to boot the PC. Tried to get to a reset screen but none is made available. It tried to repair itself and failed several times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Seabeeme, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Seabeeme Win User

No Boot and can't get to a system reset screen

I crashed on trying to boot the PC. Tried to get to a reset screen but none is made available. It tried to repair itself and failed several times before I gave up. I can't get to restore points or images on the system. I went to my bakup PC and downloaded a Win 10 iso that I burned to DVD. When I set the system to boot from the DVD it tells me to press any key to do that. But, it doesn't even try to boot from the CD and still does not let me get to a system reset option. The screen I get after pressing F8 during boot has 5 options:
    1. System Restore: fails, 2. Sys. Image Recovery: fails, 3. Startup Repair: fails 4. Command Prompt: Haven't tried it yet 5. Go back to previous version: fails. I have tried everything with no progress being made. Can someone please suggest something to get me around this impasse

Cecil

:)

Seabeeme, Feb 9, 2018

2. Did one on get use desk mode to use from the tablet code.

Thanks so much.

can't get no satisfaction, Feb 9, 2018
  3. Did one on get use desk mode to use from the tablet code.

Thanks for so much.

can't get no satisfaction, Feb 9, 2018
  4. zbook New Member

Was there an error message or an error code?

Use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures as needed to post images into the thread.
    If there are any problems posting images into the thread the use one drive or drop box share links.

1) Boot to command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\sources>
    2) type: bootrec /fixmbr
    enter
    3) type: bootrec /fixboot
    enter
    4) type: bootrec /scanos
    enter
    5) bootrec /rebuildbcd
    enter
    reboot
    6) If the above works
    a) create a backup image using Macrium:
    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    b) create a brand new restore point

7) If the above fails >
    type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"
    enter
    This should display partition=C (it could display another drive letter)
    8) type: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=G:\ /offwindir=G:\windows (change the letters G to the drive letter displayed in #7)
    enter
    9) chkdsk /r
    allow it to lock the drive and reboot
    it typically displays the estimated time to completion
    expect it to display an error at the end where it did not save the log
    10) If the above fails > plan registry repair /backup
    11) Use a camera or smart phone camera to take pictures as needed to post images into the thread.

zbook, Feb 9, 2018
  5. Seabeeme Win User
    Zbook, Thanks for the info. Unfortunately nothing helped. The commands ran okay but the results didn't tell me anything. All I learned was that when searching for OS the result was 0. I have a distinct feeling that my Samsung SSD used as my C drive has failed. I've never seen a system failure in which I could not use restore or reset

Cecil Britton

Seabeeme, Feb 9, 2018
  6. Samuria Win User
    Does the hd show in the bios? Get to a cmd prompt type

dir c:\
    what does it say?

Samuria, Feb 10, 2018
  7. zbook New Member
    These steps are using the Windows 10 iso advanced troubleshooting menu.

For all steps please post images into the thread.
    If there are any problems posting images please use one drive or drop box share links.

1) open command prompt > Administrator: X:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe > X:\Sources>

2) type: C:

3) type: dir

4) type: D:

5) dir:

6: type: X:

7) type: bcdedit /enum

8) type: type: bcdedit | find "osdevice"

9) type: bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

10) type: C:

11) type: cd boot

12) type: attrib bcd -s -h -r

13) type: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

14) type: bootrec /RebuildBcd

15) reboot

16) Report the results into the thread with text and images.

zbook, Feb 10, 2018
  8. Seabeeme Win User

Hi everyone, thanks for your support on this one. I finally discovered that the NTFS file system was corrupt for some reason. The only way around it was to reinstall Windows which I did on Sunday past. I have been reconstructing the suite of applications I regularly use and restoring my personal files on the C drive from Google Drive, One Drive and my Windows backups on a backup drive I have installed on the PC. I also have a Synology 6TB NAS but so far have found it simpler to use files saved to the cloud. In answer to the question about finding hte C drive, no I couldn't find it because of the file system error. It was only referred to by a more generic name.

Seabeeme, Feb 13, 2018
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have a backup drive in the computer, then why not keep a system image backup on it using a program like Macrium Reflect?

NavyLCDR, Feb 13, 2018
  10. Seabeeme Win User
    I do have an image on the backup and on the NAS but the damaged system would not look at them nor would it look at any restore points. The boot drive's file system was damaged and non-functional. The resultant repair was not difficult, I just used an ISO of Windows 10 on a DVD to boot and it reinstalled easily.

Seabeeme, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. No Boot and can't get to a system reset screen - Similar Threads - Boot can't system

2. Boot times gets longer due to system update screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot times gets longer due to system update screen: Everytime I boot my laptop I get this screen that says " Please wait while we install a system update" message. I checked for updates and It said I already installed them. Any help?...
  3. Boot times gets longer due to system update screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot times gets longer due to system update screen: Everytime I boot my laptop I get this screen that says " Please wait while we install a system update" message. I checked for updates and It said I already installed them. Any help?...
  4. Boot times gets longer due to system update screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't get Windows to boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't get Windows to boot: So I have 3 drives, a 1tb NVMe drive with my original windows install on it which I can't boot into anymoreA games driveAnd a spare drive I wasnt using so I decided I wanted to install PopOS on it, so I installed it with the two other drives unplugged and after I plugged them...
  6. Can't get Windows to boot

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't get Windows to boot: So I have 3 drives, a 1tb NVMe drive with my original windows install on it which I can't boot into anymoreA games driveAnd a spare drive I wasnt using so I decided I wanted to install PopOS on it, so I installed it with the two other drives unplugged and after I plugged them...
  7. My windows will not boot and I can't reset it in the system recovery

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My windows will not boot and I can't reset it in the system recovery: So yesterday I open my laptop and it says "The selected boot device failed. Press <Enter> to continue." It also makes this weird clicking noise which I am pretty sure is from thw hard disk. The first thing I did was to try to find a fix but nothing I found online seemed to...
  8. Can't reset system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reset system: I have a Windows 8 HP laptop that was upgraded to Windows 10 a few years ago. I just finally dug it out to play been laying around since 2017some games and decided to reset it, but it always ended up reverting the changes. Then i tried to reinstall it using media tools and a...
  9. Blue screen of death: Can't boot windows and can't enter bios and i can't boot system on...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen of death: Can't boot windows and can't enter bios and i can't boot system on...: Pls help me: I have tried everything but nothing seems to work i can't do anything because the blue screen keeps occurring, i can't enter bios beacuse the keyboard doesn't work in pre-boot so i cannot boot the system on an USB flash disk to repair it. I NEED EVERY HELP....
  10. Can't get to desktop or boot Windows. Looping error screen: "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't get to desktop or boot Windows. Looping error screen: "SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT...: Hi all, I had a different problem, which I posted about here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-updates-failing-stuck-on-version-1709/cbc28cc5-0b51-4aa5-9655-a8ab82ee3157 Something must have gone wrong while following the advice offered...