Windows 10: "No boot device found" message on boot, but SSD can be booted from through the boot menu

Discus and support "No boot device found" message on boot, but SSD can be booted from through the boot menu in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I'm assisting with trying to resolve a problem on a computer running Windows 10. The problem appeared on first boot after the graphics card was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Michael A_B, Jun 26, 2020.

1. "No boot device found" message on boot, but SSD can be booted from through the boot menu

Hi,

I'm assisting with trying to resolve a problem on a computer running Windows 10. The problem appeared on first boot after the graphics card was upgraded.

After showing POST on the first boot it started showing the Windows 7 startup logo, before soon after reporting an that needed to be fixed. chkdsk started running, and once done the computer loaded into Windows 7.

The computer was apparently upgraded with a SSD drive at one point. Windows 10 was installed on this SSD, and the old HHD with Windows 7 installed was kept in the computer without being formatted.

Seeing that it booted to the wrong OS, the computer was rebooted. The same thing happening again. The computer was rebooted once more to enter BIOS to check boot order. There all turned out to be fine, with the SSD marked with Windows Boot Manager having the highest priority. All other options looked fine too.

To try to force the computer to boot from the SSD, the HDD was disconnected. After POST the following, well known message appeared:

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device"

Seeing it didn't find a drive to boot from, the computer was rebooted to enter the boot menu F8. Here the SSD shows up, with Windows 10 booting and running without problem after choosing the drive from the menu.

But for every reboot, the same message appears, requiring the boot menu to be used. I've tried reconnecting the SSD, but nothing changes.

Once booted into Windows 10 everything works perfectly fine. The computer can run for hours and hours without problem, and the new graphics card did wonders in games. In the Disk Management tool in Windows the SSD looks all fine, with the EFI System Partition showing up as it should.

Not having to enter the boot menu every time the computer is started and being able to reconnect the old HDD preferably using it as a normal drive without an old OS installed on it this time would be preferable. The fact that the Corsair gaming keyboard isn't recognized at boot aswell, but only starts functioning sometime into the OS startup, which requires the use of a "simpler" keyboard only to enter the boot menu, adds to theinconvenience. For the latter problem I've tried using BIOS mode on the keyboard, but that didn't help.

To fix the main problem I tried running the Startup repair tool from the Windows installation media. The tool reports that all is working fine once it's done. But nothing has changed when the computer is rebooted, the error message above appears again.

I know I can run the repair commands manually from the command line from the repair tool to fix things like a broken Windows boot manager, but I haven't tried it before. I don't want to head into this before seeking some guidance, especially since it's not my computer and there is no backup of the SSD yet, since a backup can be done now that we can boot to the drive. I've found different guides using differenent command line programs, like Diskpart and BCDBoot, but few talk about whether there are any risks involved with running those commands or not.

What are your suggestions to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance, it will be highly appreciated of the owner of the computer.

:)

Michael A_B, Jun 26, 2020
  2. btarunr Win User

Can't boot from DVD drive

Is your controller in RAID/AHCI modes? If so, the DVD drive will be listed as a separate device in the list of available boot devices, not as "CDROM". Remember that when setting boot device priority. Otherwise, read the manual to see which hotkey during POST brings up the boot menu that lets you select which device to boot from. Even here, the drive will be listed separately, and not as "CDROM".

btarunr, Jun 26, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    Boot Device not found

Hi Alan,

Corrupted system files or it boot to a different hard drive that it why you received the message Boot Device no found. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any changes prior to this issue?
    • Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow these steps on how to perform automatic repair:

• Force turn off your computer/device 3 times until you reach the Automatic Repair environment.
    • On the list of options under Advance options, choose Start-up Repair and perform the instructions.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 26, 2020
  4. "No boot device found" message on boot, but SSD can be booted from through the boot menu

Bios will not boot from SSD

So it's been a LONG time since ive been on these forums, but I ran into a little problem that's got me stumped.

I just bought a 240GB PATRIOT Pyro SD to put my OS on.
    So I backed up all my important info to an External HDD. Formatted my current 1TB WD Caviar Black that I had my current Windows 7 on. And went ahead and installed Windows 7 on my new SSD.
    All was fine and dandy till I began installing drivers on Win7 and would need to reboot, it would come up with a message to Reboot and select proper boot device. So I went I to my boot options set my DVD drive as 1st boot and my SSD as 2nd boot, same message came up.
    So just for laughs I only set 1 boot device as my DVD and had my Win7 install disc in the drive, it would come up with the message to press any key to boot from the DVD drive. But I waited it out, and for some reason it would boot straight into windows. Problem Solved? No
    I just recently had to restart again, and now it won't boot into Windows anymore. I tried setting the SSD as first boot, nothing. Tried the DVD drive as first and the SSD as second, nothing. I just can't figure this mess out.
    I'm running an ASUS M4A78-E mobo, and trying to get my 240GB Patriot Pyro SD to boot. Just so confused as why it worked, and now it doesn't.

HitmanJustin, Jun 26, 2020
Thema:

"No boot device found" message on boot, but SSD can be booted from through the boot menu

1. "No boot device found" message on boot, but SSD can be booted from through the boot menu - Similar Threads - boot device found

2. Boot from old SSD on new mother board. No boot devices found.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Boot from old SSD on new mother board. No boot devices found.: Hello, I am trying to boot from an old m.2 SSD on my previous machine to a new motherboard. The new motherboard is an Asus x670, and when I boot, it will find find the drives I say drives because it is also detecting my SATA HDD but that is only storage and not of boot...
  3. Boot from old SSD on new mother board. No boot devices found.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot from old SSD on new mother board. No boot devices found.: Hello, I am trying to boot from an old m.2 SSD on my previous machine to a new motherboard. The new motherboard is an Asus x670, and when I boot, it will find find the drives I say drives because it is also detecting my SATA HDD but that is only storage and not of boot...
  4. Boot from old SSD on new mother board. No boot devices found.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. boot device not found

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot device not found: Hi! So my sister's laptop has a bought Windows 10 pro and I updated it to windows 11 but after i few months without turning it off the laptop showed the blue screen thing and it said restarting your laptop but after that it says boot device not found. i tried restarting my...
  6. no boot device found

in Windows 10 Gaming
    no boot device found: Aloha,I am using a Dell Inspirion 3275, and when I turn on the computer it states there is no bootable device. What can I do to fix this. My computer is just old enough to be outside the warranty. Any solutions on how I can get my Windows 10 OS to boot?MahaloJustin...
  7. no boot device found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no boot device found: Aloha,I am using a Dell Inspirion 3275, and when I turn on the computer it states there is no bootable device. What can I do to fix this. My computer is just old enough to be outside the warranty. Any solutions on how I can get my Windows 10 OS to boot?MahaloJustin...
  8. Dell XPS 8900 will not boot from new SSD: "No boot device found".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell XPS 8900 will not boot from new SSD: "No boot device found".: Dear forum, There seem to be some real experts in this group and I'd be grateful for your advice here. I've installed a new 500 GB Kingston SSD and cloned my existing HDD to it. Both drives show in the drive list, and appear to have the same files on them. I was intending...
  9. Boot Device not found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot Device not found: I know there has probably been this error before, but this is different, my HP pc has got an error about Boot Device not found right after i got the BSOD saying my memory was full or something, it turned off without doing the thing of it loading, i tried everything i found, I...
  10. Boot device not found

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot device not found: Hi, Yesterday I was on my laptop and then it suddenly crashed so I forced powered it off. When I tried to open it again it came up with a black screen saying: Boot device not found Please install and operating system on your hard disk. For more information, please...