Windows 10: No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

Discus and support No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, It's an age old story, probably.. I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Spall, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Spall Win User

No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive

Hey all,

It's an age old story, probably..

I was running Win7. Had a crash that munged me being able to boot and I have never had success creating a repair disk for 7 with USB3 drivers (I'm on Z170 chipset). So I decided I should finally jump into Win10 as I reserved my digital entitlement during the free period.

So I did a fresh install on a freshly cleared SSD, but stupidly did not remove my Win 7 SSD before doing so. Now Windows 10 is using the boot partition on that drive and did not create one on it's own volume. I get the "Select OS" screen, although booting into 7 does not work.

What's the best practice here for creating what Win10 needs on the boot volume so I can wipe the other SSD? (Or if someone knows how I can get the boot volume on the Win10 drive and fix my Win7, that would be the perfect world)

Diskpart info:

SSD with Win 10 -

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 Reserved 16 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 Primary 931 GB 17 MB

SSD with Win 7 -

Partition ### Type Size Offset
    ------------- ---------------- ------- -------
    Partition 1 System 100 MB 1024 KB
    Partition 2 Reserved 128 MB 101 MB
    Partition 3 Primary 465 GB 229 MB

Other info: I have a bootable Win 10 USB install disk. I also have a bootable Macrium Reflect Free USB stick. I believe I also have an Acronis Recovery USB stick.

I have a spare HDD for cloning my Win 10 install if needed. I'd like to avoid just starting over as I only discovered my error after I fully configured Windows and installed all my apps and migrated data.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

-D

:)

Spall, Jul 26, 2017

2. System Reserved Partition on Disk 1 not Disk 0

My PC was dual-boot with the 500 MB System Reserved and Primary System partitions on Drive 0 and the Secondary (2nd on added) on Drive 1. Then I started having boot problems which apparently were caused by Disk 0 errors. I would often get "Scanning and repairing
    drive" notification during bootup. Then Windows went through some extensive repairs during one boot attempt and added a 500 MB Recovery partition in an unallocated area of Drive 1 after the System partition. I think it was called Recovery. Eventually the computer
    wouldn't boot at all.

Now I've replaced the Drive 0 HDD with a 500 GB SSD drive and completed a clean install of Windows 10 on a New 200 (195.31) GB partition on Drive 0 with the intention of the System Reserved partition being added by the Windows installer before the System
    partition on Drive 0. That's not what happened, the 500 MB Recovery partition on Drive 1 was replaced with the System Reserved partition. So, I repeated the Windows 10 clean install on SSD Drive 0 and deleted all partitions on Drives 0 & 1 before adding a
    New 200 (195.31) GB partition on Drive 0 and selecting Drive 0 for the Windows 10 install. Windows again placed the System reserved partition on Drive 1.

Why is Windows insisting on installing the System Reserved partition on Drive 1?

What do I need to do to get Windows to place the System Reserved partition ahead of the System partition on Drive 0 leaving Drive 1 completely unallocated?

Thanks.

Bill

B_Phillips, Jul 26, 2017
  3. Sgt. Mole Win User
    Clean Installing Windows 10 on a Laptop with more than 1 HDD installed

I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and everything was working fine until I got a BSOD that there was no recovering from (even the repair came up with problems).

I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10 from scratch. I used the Microsoft tool to download and create the Windows 10 Pro 64bit install USB and then proceeded to try and do a clean install. I had removed all partitions from the main disk (256GB Samsung
    840 Pro SSD), the partition on my 2nd drive (300gb standard HDD) was left as it is as that holds all my files and data.

When I ran the install it created 1 partition on my main hard drive but didn't create a system reserve boot partition. After the install had run and the laptop rebooted, I just had a back screen with a flashing _

After testing the install on a couple of laptops I'd realised that the install wasn't auto creating a system reserve boot partition because there was a 2nd hdd in the laptop. I removed the 2nd HDD and cleaned the main drive and did the windows 10 install
    again and this time it gave me the notice and created the reserve boot partition. After the install I then put my 2nd hdd back into the laptop and it works fine.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this issue when doing a clean install of windows 10 Pro on a machine with more than 1 hdd installed?

If this is a bug in the Windows 10 install, I can see a few people falling foul of it as it's not uncommon to find a PC or laptop with more than 1 hdd installed

Sgt. Mole, Jul 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I'm a bit puzzled about what you've actually got. On the one hand you have Win 7, so I'd expect legacy BIOS, on the other, you have a 100Mb partition on the Win 7 disk and a 16Mb partition which would be typical of a UEFI boot configuration. There's no Recovery partition- that would be 450Mb for UEFI, 500Mb for legacy.

It would be clearer if you could provide a screenshot using e.g. Minitool Partition Wizard.
    Here's a UEFI configuration (legacy is 2 or perhaps 3 partitions).

No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive [​IMG]

Nonetheless, I will post again a procedure which should allow you to recover your Win 10 configuration.
    1. Use disk imaging (Macrium Reflect (free) or similar) of your Win 10 'C:' only.
    2. Wipe the disk on which Win 10 is.
    3. Remove the Win 7 disk (and disconnect any others to be 100% safe if you wish)
    4. Reinstall Win 10
    5. Make sure it boots.
    6. Replace the new 'C:' partition by restoring the image you created.
    7. Boot from a Win 10 install disk and run Startup Repair

dalchina, Jul 27, 2017
  5. Spall Win User
    Attached is the current partition scheme.

Attachment 146103

So it sounds like you're saying:

Clone the current 10 install so I have a backup.
    Disconnect everything except the drive I want 10 on
    Install 10 fresh and boot in
    Clone my backup back on to the disk effectively wiping the fresh install
    Run startup repair

Yes, I know I'm basically repeating what you said in my own words.. but I wanna make sure I got it don't muck it up.

Thanks!

Spall, Jul 28, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    The attachment is invalid. If you do a clean install then restore an iamge your back to square one

Samuria, Jul 28, 2017
  7. Spall Win User

Sorry about the bad attachment. Trying again.

And again, thanks for the help guys. I will clone my current install overnight.

Spall, Jul 28, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

I would try doing an image of the efi parition and boot sector shrink c to the right then clone the image to the free space so you have ufi parition drr if it boot if not then do a repair

Samuria, Jul 28, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    No, you must be misunderstanding this. I've done this myself in the past, and it's been used by others here.

Let me explain in detail.

1. The fresh Windows 10 install creates all necessary partitions.
    2. The disk image is ONLY of the C: partition- not the whole disk.
    3. ONLY the new partition for C: is being replaced
    4. Assuming that the source partition has not been corrupted, that reconstructs a valid win 10 installation.

This does NOT leave the OP back where he started.

dalchina, Jul 28, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    -no, more precisely, as I said, you are replacing ONLY the new C: partition by restoring the image you've created of the old C: so as to replace ONLY the new C: partition.

Remember that before trying that you can try this:

1. Restore the partitions
    2. Boot your PC from Kyhi's boot disk or Macrium Reflect boot disk.
    3. Run Macrium's Fix Boot utility.

It might work...

dalchina, Jul 28, 2017
  11. cereberus Win User
    1) install Macrium Reflect Free

3) Shrink C drive by say 200 MB

4) Image backup EFI partition

4) Restore image partition to unallocated space on drive 0.

5) ensure bios is set to boot from drive 1

6) disconnect drive 1 and test pc boots ok now

7) if so delete EFI from drive 1.

cereberus, Jul 28, 2017
  12. Spall Win User
    This worked. I truly appreciate the help.

Spall, Jul 29, 2017
  13. AddRAM Win User

What happened to the System Reserved partition on C, or did you create a partition before installing W7 on that drive, but still, there are no system files on C (Disk 0)

If you unplugged the W10 drive, W7 would not boot on its own.

Post a new shot of Disk Management *Smile

AddRAM, Jul 29, 2017
  14. Spall Win User

After I got 10 fixed, I blew out the disk with 7 on it (after making a backup)

Spall, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. No boot partition on boot drive after clean install with 2nd drive - Similar Threads - boot partition boot

2. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  3. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    to delete drive partitions for clean installation?: In a previous post, I mentioned I was in a bitlocker loop because my C drive was encrypted and i did not back up password correctlyI was told to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 by a user here. I had watched some videos on that process. It seems that I have to delete all...
  4. to delete drive partitions for clean installation?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't boot after installing windows on 2nd drive: Hi, I am frustrated and here is what I did (any help is appreciated) : My company's laptop has only HDD drive and it has Windows 10 Enterprise and i don't have admin privileges + it has BittLocker. I got my self a temporary nvme drive and plugged it into an empty nvme...
  6. How to clean up excess partition on boot drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to clean up excess partition on boot drive?: Here's what disk management tells me: [img] How to merge the first and last partitions and free up the excess one? Yes I know it's "only" 0.5GB, but the OCD part of me wants to sort it out *Smile David 136550
  7. How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to install Windows 10 boot manager on 2nd drive: When I'm installing Windows in a PC with 2 drives and I want to dedicate one for it and one for Linux, I usually disable from Bios the drive I don't want to use then I proceed with Windows installation on the other drive. This is not possible on my new Lenovo T480s, Bios...
  8. New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New SSD boot drive, new Win10 install boots but 2nd drive not detected: I have a Dell desktop Core i5 PC about 3-4 years old with 2 SATA drives and 2 DVD RW drives. I had the boot drive (a Samsung EVO850 250Gb SSD) partitioned into two drives, C 150Gb and D about 85Gb. The other HD is a Seagate 2TB which is partitioned into 4 drives, E, 700Gb, F,...
  9. I Have a new Boot partition on my c drive after clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    I Have a new Boot partition on my c drive after clean install: After a complete re-install of win 10 I noticed I had this new boot partition. this is on a MBR drive BTW In my BIOS I can choose to boot to either the drive or the boot Manager. Both work ! So what is the reason for the boot manager ? thanks 31215
  10. Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot loop after partitioning 4TB Drive: I am really really frustrated and could use any help anyone can give. My computer is a Dell XPS8300 with the last BIOS they put out for this system... I have a Seagate 4TB (ST4000DM000) drive that is setup GPT and had 2 partitions on it (D:, E*Smile and worked fine in...