Windows 10: "No bootable device" message after failed hard disc replacement

Discus and support "No bootable device" message after failed hard disc replacement in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I am attempting to get my wife's Dell Inspiron 660 back in service after a hard disc failure. A 3TB Barracuda SATA drive was purchased and installed in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by EasilyConfusedbyNotLinux, May 3, 2020.

1. "No bootable device" message after failed hard disc replacement

I am attempting to get my wife's Dell Inspiron 660 back in service after a hard disc failure. A 3TB Barracuda SATA drive was purchased and installed in place of the failed 1TB. The disc is recognized by the BIOS as is the optical drive. However, the Windows 10 iso disc which was burned is not being read. I also tried a couple of Linux liveCD's which have worked on other computers, and they are not being read. Pre-boot assessment software was run and no errors were reported for either the replacement hard disc or the optical drive. The bootpath reported by the pre-boot software is to the MBR of the hard disc, which doesn't exist since it neither formatted or blessed with an operating system. I've reset the BIOS and CMOS to the default state without changing the behavior. Any suggestions on getting this machine working again will be appreciated.

:)

EasilyConfusedbyNotLinux, May 3, 2020

2. No bootable disc

My laptop won't start up and I am receiving the message no bootable disc. I do not have a bootable disc so I downloaded a Windows 10 install disc from Mocrosoft Support, however, when I loaded it on a thumb drive and tried to boot from it, none of the
    steps helped. I want something that I can boot from, restore windows and keep the files that are on the computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GregSubick, May 3, 2020
  3. TTU
    TTU Win User
    Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please!

My SSD hardrive failed in my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop a few weeks ago with a "No Bootable Devices Found" error message at startup BIOS.
    I was hoping some of you have experience salvaging data in these type of situations.

What I've tried

• I tried loading Ubuntu on a thumb drive to try to access the hard drive -- no go. The drive did not show up in the devices list.
    • I tried reconnecting the hardrive drive from the labtop in case there was a faulty connection and to reset the drive, no go.
    • I tried using SATA to usb cable to see if I can clone the drive, but the drive is not being read. It shows the Cable interface is connected with 0MB connected to it.
    • When booting, I could not find the drive in the list. When I used ubuntu via USB, the usb did show up and was booted from.
    Questions

• Does windows 10 have any security features which would prevent ubuntu from reading the hard drive?
    What Happened Prior To Failure

• I was connecting a new vizio tv to the laptop via hdmi 2 when I noticed the drive began to be sluggish. Task manager showed 100 percent memory disk usage so I rebooted while it was in this state. Never got it running again. The initial boot a memory test ran and showed no errors were preset. The boots that followed showed no bootable devices found.
    Hard Drive

• The Hard Drive in question is a LITEON SATA SSD 512 GB
    • Windows 10
    • Dell Inspiron 15
    I know this is a long shot, but figured I'd ask to see if I can somehow manually salvage the data. If I can't find a solution myself, I might have to send it off to a data retrieval company, which is very expensive. Any advice?
    Attached are a few error messages and the hard drive information.

IMG_20171102_111349.jpg

IMG_20171013_124233.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20171013_124248.jpg - Google Drive

4. MUZAKKIR Win User

"No bootable device" message after failed hard disc replacement

Bootable device not found

computer is not booting a black screen come
    up with this message bootable device not found i have properly attached my all cables even then my bios show that sata ports empty no hdd found

MUZAKKIR, May 3, 2020
Thema:

"No bootable device" message after failed hard disc replacement

1. "No bootable device" message after failed hard disc replacement - Similar Threads - bootable device message

2. No Boot Device after Replacing Broken Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Boot Device after Replacing Broken Hard Drive: After 8 months, West Digital Hard Drive on my refurbished Dell Optiplex 390 gave out. I have bought an exact replacement an replaced it. Computer will not reboot. "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine". I don't have a rebootable CD so I don't know if that...
  3. No Boot Device after Replacing Broken Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Boot Device after Replacing Broken Hard Drive: After 8 months, West Digital Hard Drive on my refurbished Dell Optiplex 390 gave out. I have bought an exact replacement an replaced it. Computer will not reboot. "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine". I don't have a rebootable CD so I don't know if that...
  4. No Boot Device after Replacing Broken Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Product key hard disc replaced

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product key hard disc replaced: I purchased laptop with pre installed windows 10, my hard disc was crashed I replaced with new one. How to get my product key by using my pc device information ?...
  6. Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed

in Windows 10 Support
    Replacing Win10 on new hard drive after original failed: First timer so please be gentle. My hard drive failed on my Asus desktop and had to be replaced. This whole thing made me aware of how little I prepared for such a situation. I had a recovery usb but it was from the date of purchase (2012/13) so I created a new one using my...
  7. Error Message....No Bootable Device.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error Message....No Bootable Device.: I upgraded my laptop to win 10 home 1809 from version 1607. Everything worked well but when I rebooted the laptop I get permanent error message....NO Bootable Device. I am unable to get past this screen and cannot login or access windows. I created restore points but...
  8. no bootable disc found

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    no bootable disc found: when starting my computer rec message no bootable disc found can this be fixed also said install operating system i dont know what happened https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/no-bootable-disc-found/a3173e48-68f1-4ae8-a99a-833cacf9de54
  9. Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Failing to replace failing laptop hard drive: Toshiba C55 series with a failing hard drive. My first attempt was to clone the drives using my Acronis True Image 2015. Formatted the new drive and placed in the PC. Old HD in a USB drive enclosure. Booted from the TI "Bootable Rescue Media.." As soon as it started to...
  10. Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please!

in Windows 10 Support
    Failed Hard Drive - No Bootable Devices found!! Advice please!: My SSD hardrive failed in my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop a few weeks ago with a "No Bootable Devices Found" error message at startup BIOS. I was hoping some of you have experience salvaging data in these type of situations. What I've tried I tried loading Ubuntu on a thumb...