Windows 10: No bootable device no partition is active after change from legacy BIOS to UEFI

Discus and support No bootable device no partition is active after change from legacy BIOS to UEFI in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This happened after I made some BIOS setting changes from within Windows 10 (my mistake), in order to prepare my laptop to begin booting with UEFI... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AngelaGChandler, Aug 11, 2018.

1. No bootable device no partition is active after change from legacy BIOS to UEFI

This happened after I made some BIOS setting changes from within Windows 10 (my mistake), in order to prepare my laptop to begin booting with UEFI mode. I have the latest OS. I get no options for UEFI in my BIOS setup, nor is the system partition active. It is coded as being uefi. When I try to change to active using command line, it errors that the active command won't work on that partition, because it's not an mbr.

:)

AngelaGChandler, Aug 11, 2018

2. Install Windows 10 using UEFI bootable USB thumb drive

You need to go into you system bios and select allow uefi usb drive. Then add the UEFI usb drive to the boot menu

better way to partition aand create an bootable usb.

For the UEFI system, we can use these steps to create the bootable USB:

1.Locate a 4GB or larger USB flash drive

2.Open Diskpart and run the following command cmd admin type diskpart

• Type DiskPart in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted in step 4.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "Exit".

Copy your ISO files to the drive and reboot

never use UEFI it better to repartition and remove UEFI go with legacy bois

bfvetscolakid, Aug 11, 2018
  3. dac81048 Win User
    Problem Regarding Bios Change from UEFI to Legacy

I have hp pavilion p045tx with windows 10 pro. I recently install Ubuntu with windows 10 so for that I convert my bios setting from UEFI to Legacy mode for install third party software like wireless Driver and all in Ubuntu.
    But after every restart the bios setting change to default and that is to UEFI mode and that will cause an problem of no OS detect. Every time I have to go to bios setting and enable the legacy mode to start my OS. Can anyone suggest me what to do in this
    case.

dac81048, Aug 11, 2018
  4. DaveM121 Win User

No bootable device no partition is active after change from legacy BIOS to UEFI

What determines how a fresh installation of Windows onto a fresh hard drive chooses whether to use UEFI or legacy BIOS

Hi Michael,

Basically if Secure Boot is turned on, Windows must be installed onto a GPT system and the installation will create a UEFI partition on that drive

If Secure Buut is disabled and Legacy BIOS is used, the installation will be like all the old Windows installations, installed onto an MBR disc and no UEFI partition

To install in Legacy BIOS Mode:

Insert the Bootable Installation Media, then go into your BIOS and make the following changes:

1. Disable Secure Boot

2. Enable Legacy Boot

3. If Available enable CSM

4. If Required enable USB Boot

5. Move the device with the bootable disc to the top of the boot order

6. Save BIOS changes, restart your System and it should boot from the Installation Media

DaveM121, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

No bootable device no partition is active after change from legacy BIOS to UEFI

1. No bootable device no partition is active after change from legacy BIOS to UEFI - Similar Threads - bootable device partition

2. After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot: After changing from legacy to UEFI my computer will turn on with no boot screen or anything, it will sit for hours with no signal without turning off if I let it, I wiped my my hard drives of the windows 10 os before changing this option, since I was trying to install windows...
  3. After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After changing to uefi from legacy in the Bios my computer won’t boot: After changing from legacy to UEFI my computer will turn on with no boot screen or anything, it will sit for hours with no signal without turning off if I let it, I wiped my my hard drives of the windows 10 os before changing this option, since I was trying to install windows...
  4. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  5. UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UEFI settings. I change Bios from Legacy & UEFI to UEFI only but it reboots back to bios...: As shown above the Bios does not want to take the change. I also did UEFI on all the rest like network etc but again Bios did not take the change so everything back to legacy and all works fine. But I need to change to UEFI to get Win 11. I changed to TMP with no problems...
  6. Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from LEGACY BIOS to UEFI BIOS: Hello,First time posting here. I want to change from LEGACY to UEFI, I'm thinking:Will the computer be able to boot?I use it regularly, and I hope it works after this changover!I am not a computer geek. But I do know how to get into BIOS.Thanks...
  7. Changing From UEFI To Legacy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Changing From UEFI To Legacy: Hi Chaps, Anyone know how to change from UEFI To Legacy On My PC? (Check My PC) Thanks, - - - Updated - - - [QUOTE=;2103864]Hi Chaps, Anyone know how to change from UEFI To Legacy On My PC? (Check My PC)(First One) Thanks, 170159
  8. Can't boot after changing UEFI to Legacy from BIOS F2 menu.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't boot after changing UEFI to Legacy from BIOS F2 menu.: Toshiba satellite p75 A7200. Windows 10 is not recognized and i see empty black screen. How can i revert that change. Nothing gets booted. Toshiba logo is frozen. Hard drive detached goes to single underscore screen. No F button is working with windows 10 drive. Holding...
  9. Changing from Legacy Bios to UEFI, settings in bios and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Changing from Legacy Bios to UEFI, settings in bios and Windows 10: I used the Windows converting program MBR2GPT.exe to convert my SSD to GPT and it reported it had done it. I then rebooted and entered the bios and changed one setting from Legacy ROM to EFI Compatible ROM and another setting called 'UEFI Boot' from Disabled to Enabled and...
  10. Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install in BIOS Legacy or UEFI? Activation & Language Change?: Hello, currently I have the upgraded Windows 10 Pro Spanish 32-bit activated from Windows 7 Spanish OEM 32-bit on a 2011 HP ProBook 6550b LATAM which I guess has the digital entitlement since no keys were entered. I would like to clean install & format the drive using the USB...