Windows 10: No BSD - just crashes & restarts itself.

Discus and support No BSD - just crashes & restarts itself. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This failed, too. Attachment 28998 Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by GARoss, Aug 4, 2015.

1. GARoss Win User

No BSD - just crashes & restarts itself.

This failed, too.

Attachment 28998

GARoss, Aug 5, 2015
  2. essenbe Win User

I'm sort of at a loss right now. We know you have corrupted files but for some reason can't repair them. If your USB is H:/sources/install.esd then the command is right.

essenbe, Aug 5, 2015
  3. GARoss Win User
    UOTE=essenbe;321941]I'm sort of at a loss right now. We know you have corrupted files but for some reason can't repair them. If your USB is H:/sources/install.esd then the command is right.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your efforts! I switched to H:\sources\ & am running Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. It didn't work.

Attachment 28999

What's next? I am open to a clean install but dread re-installing all my software. I can do this with the USB drive without product key as I have upgraded is my understanding.

GARoss, Aug 5, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

Try once more. Make sure you are using an admin command Prompt and use this, just for a try.

Code: Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:esd:H:\sources\install.esd:1 /limitaccess[/quote]

essenbe, Aug 5, 2015
  5. GARoss Win User
    [/quote] Same error.

Attachment 29000

GARoss, Aug 5, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    is your install activated?

essenbe, Aug 5, 2015
  7. essenbe Win User
    Yes, it is. You should be able to do a clean install, but there have been a lot of people who have had issues activating. By all rights, you should not. If you are willing you could try an upgrade install, just install from within your current OS. If that doesn't do it, then try a clean install.

essenbe, Aug 6, 2015
  8. GARoss Win User

I think I'll go the clean install route. The old "slap me once" rule! *Wink

GARoss, Aug 6, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Aug 6, 2015
  10. GARoss Win User
    So far, so good Steve. It was quick & simple.

I have a theory why I was having issues. After the clean install I got a power error when plugging my Wacom pen tablet into my keyboard USB port, stating there wasn't enough power on that port. It then occured to what may of happened.

As an upgrade, Windows 10 must of inherited many of my settings in Windows 7. Namely, I used an Apple keyboard that has USB ports on both sides. On an Mac computer these USBs are fully powered as a hub at 500mA. But, Windows does not. Windows sets the max power for each port at 100mA. On Windows 10 the Apple keyboard USBs supply plenty of power for a mouse but not a USB thumb drive or camera reader or my Wacom.

Four years ago, while on Win7, I found this "hack" on YouTube how to change the power to these to 500mA using the registry. When upgrading, this hack might of carried into Win10 but Win10 didn't like it. What I notice was my Wacom pen tablet seemed to work but wasn't responding correctly & many crashes happened while trying to use it. After the clean install I got errors when plugging in the Wacom to the keyboard port.

I found my old post at the Win7 forum but the original YouTube how fix this video has been removed. The changes need to be made in the registry which looks much different than Win7.

It would be nice to plug into the keyboard's USB because the Wacom's cable is very short. I have a post asking for help to change the keyboard's power from 100mA to 500mA but no suggestions yet.

Anyway, I believe that was the main issue. Doing a clean install the PC seems much faster & no issues.

GARoss, Aug 7, 2015
  11. essenbe Win User
    Do you have a USB 3.0 port to plug into? USB 3.0 I believe, puts out 500mA, but a USB 2.0 port puts out much less.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2015
  12. GARoss Win User
    I have 2-USB 3s & several USB 2s. I was just trying to avoid adding more wires.

My PC mid-tower sits in on confined shelf below the desktop of my computer cabinet. I need 6' of cables just to get to it from the slide out for the keyboard. The Wacom came with about 2' of cable so on Win7 it wasn't a problem plugging it into the Apple keyboard's USB after changing the hub's USBs from 100mA to 500mA. Now on Win10 I'll need to purchase a long USB extension or a long USB2 cable (type A male to micro-B-male shown below). I was just trying to avoid more wires.

It's not a big deal to purchase longer cables. It's just I know there's a solution to be found in the registry, as I did on Win7. It just seems weird that Mac treats the keyboard as a fully powered USB hub & Windows reduces to power from 500mA to 100 mA max.

Attachment 29556

GARoss, Aug 7, 2015
  13. essenbe Win User

You can also get extension cables or a powered USB Hub. As far as reducing the power, it has always been my understanding that the USB Standards is that USB 2.0 puts out much less power than USB 3.0. I may be mistaken there. I know that I have a Logitech Gaming keyboard I used to use in a powered USB Hub and never had a problem.

essenbe, Aug 7, 2015
  14. GARoss Win User
    I don't know how much power the Wacom needs but it's certainly more than 100mA. I'll get an extension or a longer exact cable & use one of the USB 3s. Far simpler than screwing up the registry! *Wink

I also noticed the MS Intellimouse had issues with the keyboard USB, too. When booting to the Start Screen, the red optical beam on the mouse wasn't lit. Unplugging / plugging in would fix it & it would be OK until the PC went into sleep mode, then unplugging / plugging in would be needed . When plugged into a different USB this didn't happen.

Thanks again!

GARoss, Aug 8, 2015
  15. essenbe Win User
    I hope everything works out for you. If not, we'll be right here. Whenever you feel the problem is resolved, please mark this thread as Solved. Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

essenbe, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. No BSD - just crashes & restarts itself. - Similar Threads - BSD crashes restarts

2. PC crashes and restarts itself.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes and restarts itself.: Hi, my PC crashes and restarts itself. Has been happening couple of times a day.Event 1, WHEA-Logger. Fatal crash.I have replaced and tested with different Motherboard, GPU, CPU, RAM, PSU and nvme drives.They show the same error. - <Event...
  3. PC crashes and restarts itself.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crashes and restarts itself.: Hi, my PC crashes and restarts itself. Has been happening couple of times a day.Event 1, WHEA-Logger. Fatal crash.I have replaced and tested with different Motherboard, GPU, CPU, RAM, PSU and nvme drives.They show the same error. - <Event...
  4. PC crashes and restarts itself.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unexpected crashing, laptop restarts itself afterwards

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unexpected crashing, laptop restarts itself afterwards: I bought a laptop that had FreeDOS and installed Windows 11 on it. I activated it and everything seemed to be fine.While doing some light workloads browsing the web the laptop's screen suddenly went black, after about 5-10 seconds, it seemed to have restarted since my web...
  6. Unexpected crashing, laptop restarts itself afterwards

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unexpected crashing, laptop restarts itself afterwards: I bought a laptop that had FreeDOS and installed Windows 11 on it. I activated it and everything seemed to be fine.While doing some light workloads browsing the web the laptop's screen suddenly went black, after about 5-10 seconds, it seemed to have restarted since my web...
  7. Application keeps crashing/ just closing itself

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Application keeps crashing/ just closing itself: Faulting application name: Yakuza0.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c89289b Faulting module name: Yakuza0.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5c89289b Exception code: 0x80000003 Fault offset: 0x0000000000045d3b Faulting process id: 0x317c Faulting application start...
  8. My PC restarts by itself, no warnings, it just restarts.

My PC restarts by itself, no warnings, it just restarts.: When I finished the build, I downloaded all drivers and I'm pretty sure everything is going well, I also benchmarked the system and all parts are working properly, Windows is up to date, Haven't downloaded any anti-virus software, and haven't changed anything in the BIOS...
  9. Crash BSD Please Help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Crash BSD Please Help: This has been happening for the last couple of months but seems to be getting worse,that is more frequent lately.My PC just crashes then reboots at seemingly random times.I have tried testing Memory and that seems ok,I have also tried a few stress tests and they also seem...
  10. My PC just went black and restarted itself

My PC just went black and restarted itself: It's done it like 2 other times this year so, unless that changes, I think it's safe to say it's nothing I should overly worry about...however, it's in my nature to want to understand WHY it's doing it...even if it is infrequent. For example, I was literally browsing a...