Windows 10: (No BSOD) Desktop Freezes on Startup at the BIOS Screen; won't move on

Discus and support (No BSOD) Desktop Freezes on Startup at the BIOS Screen; won't move on in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Howdy Folks! *Smile My HP Phoenix is getting old but I've made several upgrades as needed: (Installed a new SSD Primary, changed to new matched 16 GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jdUnionngarden, May 3, 2019.

1. (No BSOD) Desktop Freezes on Startup at the BIOS Screen; won't move on

Howdy Folks! *Smile
    My HP Phoenix is getting old but I've made several upgrades as needed: (Installed a new SSD Primary, changed to new matched 16 GB memory cards up from 8 GB, replaced one HDD, etc.) I'm not ready to give up on it yet!
    -
    The issue is it regularly freezes on startup at the BIOS screen before the keyboard and mouse are loaded. When this happens it requires 2-3 hard shutdowns before the keyboard becomes operational. I'm always able to finish the boot from there.
    -
    I'm looking for a hardware test to help identify the problem. I tried: run "Perfmon /rel" without getting any significant details. Other than that, once W10 loads I'm good for the rest of the day (sleeping when not in use).
    -
    Update:
    Today it wouldn't get past the BIOS screen at all. I checked the motherboard battery, re-seated 4 memory cards, checked connectors, etc. ... it is still "dead in the water".
    I've moved to my Laptop until I can find a solution for my Desktop.
    Much appreciation goes out in advance to all who read this post and for those with suggestions.
    Best,
    *Cool

:)

jdUnionngarden, May 3, 2019
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, May 3, 2019
  3. Numerous problems including BSOD at startup and freezes

Hi forum,

This has been an ongoing issue for months, and I cannot find out its cause. It has been happening ever since I upgraded the components below:

• Intel Core i5-7600
    • Asus Prime B250-Plus Motherboard
    • Seagate Barracuda, 2TB HDD
    • 2x Crucial CT2K4G4DFS824A 4GB DDR4 RAM
    My first thread was on Tom's Hardware forum when my PC started to show me a BSOD at startup.

As MemTest did not show any RAM errors, I made another thread which seems to have disappeared ever since. A kind member helped me out and was under the impression an unknown driver was causing errors.

It isn't just the BSOD at startup what's wrong with my PC now, so here is a list:

• BSOD at startup, sometimes 2-3 before a correct boot
    • Unable to install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 (minor issue, but I think linked to the bigger picture)
    • Random freezing:
      • Does not seem to have a cause
      • Seems to last less long (10 mins) on (visually?) less intensive programs, such as a browser or a small game
      • Sound keeps running (YouTube video plays all the way through, though screen is frozen, game audio is stuck in a ~10 second loop)
      • I wait it out now, when the PC unfreezes usually all applications are suddenly closed
      • When going through the BIOS it froze as well
      • A restart helps momentarily but the PC will freeze again. Waiting out the freeze will usually not cause another freeze
    • Steam suddenly thought two games were no longer installed, but when I tried to reinstall it found all game files
    • Windows is now unable to install an update (error code 0x80073712). It says some files needed by Windows Update are damaged or missing
    • Unable to do a clean reinstall of Windows 10 ("There was a problem resetting your PC: no changes were made")
    • PC games have become hard to play recently because of short freezes of <0.5 seconds (sometimes longer). These are more likely to happen when shots/explosions happen, or when my character spawns.
    • I have tried to fix the BOSD by reinstalling my PC twice. Note that with these reinstalls my HDD was untouched (C: is on my SSD)
    I am not a PC expert, but I would think that these issues are linked to a failing disk drive.

I really do hope you could help me out, as you can imagine the pain it is to work with my PC now.

Cheers!

TimVerheijen, May 3, 2019
  4. NetSurfer Win User

(No BSOD) Desktop Freezes on Startup at the BIOS Screen; won't move on

BSOD and freezing

Yesterday I started up my laptop from hibernating and it freezes, after restarting several times I get a BSOD which freezed on the BSOD one time.
    After restarting again the laptop freezed at the Welcome screen.
    I have had the freezing before, it was gone for about 2 months.
    I did not install any new hardware.
    Now it seems to run fine again.

But what is causing the freezing and the BSOD?
    I bought this laptop last January.

NetSurfer, May 3, 2019
Thema:

(No BSOD) Desktop Freezes on Startup at the BIOS Screen; won't move on

1. (No BSOD) Desktop Freezes on Startup at the BIOS Screen; won't move on - Similar Threads - BSOD Desktop Freezes

2. Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves: Hi, a friend brought his PC over to me for this very same issue. I noticed his PC would get to the desktop and then freeze and u would be unable to click or interact with anything, I would still be able to move the mouse pointer around however. After swapping around ram,...
  3. Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc freezes at startup but mouse still moves: Hi, a friend brought his PC over to me for this very same issue. I noticed his PC would get to the desktop and then freeze and u would be unable to click or interact with anything, I would still be able to move the mouse pointer around however. After swapping around ram,...
  4. Laptop BIOS Screen Loop. Startup returns to BIOS Screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop BIOS Screen Loop. Startup returns to BIOS Screen: Hi my laptop is relatively new but today when it went into Hibernation mode, the screen froze. I hard reset the laptop and the Blue Screen 'There is a problem with your computer we need to restart it' Sad Emoji. The blue screen disappeared and showed the BIOS Setup page. No...
  5. Laptop BIOS Screen Loop. Startup returns to BIOS Screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop BIOS Screen Loop. Startup returns to BIOS Screen: Hi my laptop is relatively new but today when it went into Hibernation mode, the screen froze. I hard reset the laptop and the Blue Screen 'There is a problem with your computer we need to restart it' Sad Emoji. The blue screen disappeared and showed the BIOS Setup page. No...
  6. Laptop BIOS Screen Loop. Startup returns to BIOS Screen

7. freezes Windows on desktop screen not in startup screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    freezes Windows on desktop screen not in startup screen: I just assembled a new gaming pc, then after playing the game for a few hours I got stuck/freezes on the windows home screen or desktop, there was a loss of interaction from the cursor, ctrl+alt+del, the rgb keyboard couldn't move at all, there was no interaction. then i...
  8. Freezes and BSOD, Even bios freezing.

Freezes and BSOD, Even bios freezing.: Hey guys built my PC in decemeber last year, It was solid untill a month ago. I started to get freezes out of no where, no BSOD just total lockup, then after 5-10 mins pc would reboot if i did not hard reboot it myself. I put it down to software issues, i DDU my nvidia...
  9. Desktop icons moved on startup

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Desktop icons moved on startup: I just installed a Radeon 5700 XT and I have a monitor with a 1920 x 1200 resolution. Every time I boot my system the icons get moved into what looks like an area 1366 x 768 or there about. I use DeskTopOK to restore my desktop but I am looking for better solution. The...
  10. Desktop Icons Won't Move

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Won't Move: I can't move my desktop icons. Auto-arrange icons is off Align icons to grid is off When I click on the icon; nothing happens. There is no error message It was working properly earlier today I can open folders; I can open files on the desktop and with folders on...