Windows 10: No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?

Discus and support No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, yet I do NOT have a CD or DVD drive. Is it possible for me to upgrade to W10? My W7 is not asking me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Yeremyah, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Yeremyah Win User

No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, yet I do NOT have a CD or DVD drive. Is it possible for me to upgrade to W10?

My W7 is not asking me to upgrade, how come?

:)

Yeremyah, Oct 15, 2015
  2. posedach Win User

windows 10 not recognizing my cd/dvd drive

[Merged]

My cd/dvd drive is present in device manager with no yellow exclamation , the driver is updated, the cd/dvd drive is shown in my Bios (sata) as being there with auto detection checked. the cd/dvd drive is non functional though. Its wired correctly in the
    computer. It used to work. I think I noticed this problem after upgrading to W10 from W7.

Does any one know how this can happen and how to resolve it?, thanks

Paul

posedach, Oct 15, 2015
  3. My "DVD RW Drive does not work after upgrading to Windows 10

Old title: My "DVD RW Driver does not work!

Upgrade from W7 to W10 but DVD RW Drive does not work in any way, I can not use and when I try to find solution only appears that there is no DVD RW on my computer. Thank you for your help.

MEMEGAZCON, Oct 15, 2015
  4. No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?

Have you registered for an upgrade.
    Have you enough memory left for windows 10 to install.

hTconeM9user, Oct 15, 2015
  5. alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The Media Creation Tool that alphanumeric linked to also has the option to create a USB memory stick to upgrade from as well. Just make sure to select the exact version of Windows 10 that you would get with the automatic upgrade (his option of "upgrade this PC now" is the easiest way - but you don't get install media that you can use later). If you make the USB memory stick, just put it in with Windows 7 running like you normally would for pictures or music and run setup.exe from it. If it asks you for a product key during the upgrade, stop and cancel it because you have done something wrong - you have either booted from the USB and are doing a clean install, or you downloaded the wrong version of Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Oct 15, 2015
  7. snoopy51 Win User
    You do not need CD\DVD drive to upgrade to Windows.
    You simply use the USB drive or just mount the ISO you downloaded.

More importantly, check your hardware first and ensure it is supported by Windows 10 from your vendor. Some older CPU can only support the 32 bit version vs the 64 bit version of Windows 10!

snoopy51, Oct 15, 2015
  8. No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?

I do all my installs from USB thumb drives these days. I haven't burned an actual disk in a long long time. USN thumb drive installs are much faster that when done from optical media. Especially if you have a good quality fast thumb drive. I should have mentioned, creating install media is also an option from the link I posted. I would download the ISO anyway just to have on hand when needed. Once you've done the free upgrade, you can clean install after that. No product code needed either, just click skip when asked for one. Once you've upgraded and activated you have a digital entitlement stored on the activation server for that PC.

alphanumeric, Oct 15, 2015
  9. Berton Win User
    So far all the 14 Free Upgrades I've done have been with the update feature of Windows. I did do a few of the Tech Preview reinstalls from the converted install.esd file but for some reason got kicked out of the Fast Ring when Win10 RTM was released and I started Upgrading over Win8.1 and Win7 w/SP1. Still have the computer that had the Tech Preview on it. but obviously way out of date.

Berton, Oct 15, 2015
  10. Yeremyah Win User
    Windows 7 today notified me of the Windows 10 upgrade. Overall took around 20 minutes to install. Works well*Smile

Yeremyah, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10?

1. No CD/DVD Drive, Can I upgrade from W7 to W10? - Similar Threads - DVD Drive upgrade

2. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  3. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    W10 from W7: Cant seem to get W10 to install. it loads up perfectly fine, up until blue screen. then it just... stops. the pop up i get says ''Windows 10 installation has failed.'' ive tried everything the internet has to offer and nothing works. help me out here......
  4. W10 from W7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrading from W7 to W10

Upgrading from W7 to W10: I am currently running W7 on an SSD and want to upgrade to W10 on the same hardware. Is this possible? If so, anything special I need to do? I was unable to install the free upgrade when it was available because of the SSD. Thanks....
  6. upgrading w7 to w10

upgrading w7 to w10: hello, this not my first round of trying fix windows over the years. got a older toshiba laptop L755 had windows 7 home prem. i like window 10. stupid me thinking upgrade. what could go wrong ???? made a usb drive boot for window 10. put in the laptop to totally new...
  7. upgrading W7 to W10

upgrading W7 to W10: Hi. This will probably be a common question. My wife uses W7. Does not want W10. I have been told that I can copy my W10 from my PC to a USB stick and install W10 like that on to her Laptop.. Is this possible please. If so, is there any set proceedure like which files to...
  8. If I upgrade to w10 from w7 home will I get the dvd player free?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    If I upgrade to w10 from w7 home will I get the dvd player free?: If I upgrade to windows 10 from 7 will I get the dvd player free? How to play DVDs in Windows 10 for free | PCWorld If you are upgrading from a machine with Windows Media Center—no matter whether it’s Windows 7 or Windows 8.1—you should see a modern UI app on your...
  9. W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD

W10 Home x64 (via upgrade W7 Home Premium) upgrade to W10 Pro by DVD: Windows 10 Home x64 in use. This W10 is activated after upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 10 Home with a Microsoft Windows 10 Pro DVD and a valid key ? The current Windows 10 Home x64 has applications...
  10. Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10

Cannot upgrade from W7 to W10: Having a nightmare trying to do this. The PC has an SSD with C: and D: on. C: has Windows and programs that don't offer a choice of where to install, D: has my Lightroom Catalogue and programs which offer a choice. C: has 25.4 of 94.6 GN free, D: has 4.57 of 17GB free. It...