Windows 10: No Cortana on Windows 10 build 1909

Discus and support No Cortana on Windows 10 build 1909 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Some context: I downgraded from Windows 10 20h2 because explorer.exe needed 5 minutes to start. Recently I wanted to enable Cortana. There was no 'Hey... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by leonstm, Mar 9, 2021.

1. leonstm Win User

No Cortana on Windows 10 build 1909

Some context: I downgraded from Windows 10 20h2 because explorer.exe needed 5 minutes to start.

Recently I wanted to enable Cortana. There was no 'Hey Cortana' settings. I downloaded the Cortana app from the MS Store. When I open the app it just says: "Thanks for taking an interest." I don't want to update because 1909 is more stable for my laptop.

Laptop: Dell Precision m6800, nVidia Quadro k3100m, Intel Core i7 4th generation, Fujitsu monitor connected with a keyboard and a mouse, 16GB Ram.

:)

leonstm, Mar 9, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

As you may already know, Windows 10 (as well as Windows 8) allow you to log in with a valid Microsoft account, instead of creating a local account that only works on your machine. However, you may prefer to keep a local account for privacy reasons. If you do, though, some Windows 10 features—like Cortana—may not work. Despite the default behavior, the Windows 10 Store is not one of them. You can still log in to your Microsoft account for just the Store without switching to a full Microsoft account. The process, however, is not terribly obvious. To do so, follow these steps:

• Launch the Store from your Start menu.
    • Click the user icon next to the search box.
    • Click “Sign-in” from the menu that appears.
    • Choose “Microsoft account” and log in like normal.
    • When the “Make it yours” box appears do not enter your password. Instead, click “Sign in to just this app instead.”
    from Lifehacker

Ahhzz, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Privacy tweaks...

• Turn Cortana Off. Bring up the Start menu and start typing. Click on the notebook icon in the left sidebar and choose Settings. From there, you can turn off Cortana.
    • Search online and include web results. When you turn off Cortana, you’ll see this option appear. You can turn it off if you’d rather not get web search suggestions from the Start menu, which log your typing and send it back to Microsoft so you can get live-updating predictions, just like you do on Google.com or in Chrome and Firefox.
    • Getting to Know You. In Settings > Privacy > Speech, Inking, & Typing, you’ll find a feature called “Getting to Know You”. This is probably the most sweeping privacy setting on the system, and even after turning off Cortana, you’ll have to disable this setting. Just click the “Stop Getting to Know Me” button to turn it off.
    • Cloud Info. Turning off Getting to Know You removes info from your device, but you’ll have to remove it from the cloud separately. In that same window, click “Go to Bing and manage personal info for all your devices” to clear the Getting to Know You Data from your Microsoft account.

• If you head to Settings > Privacy > Feedback & Diagnostics, you’ll see two settings:
    • Feedback frequency: Windows will occasionally ask you for feedback so you can send Microsoft your thoughts on Windows 10. If you’d rather it not bug you with such things, you can change it to Never.
    • Diagnostic and usage data: This feature can send a lot of data back to Microsoft, including how often you use certain apps, which apps you use most often, and memory snapshots (which can inadvertently include parts of a document you’re working on if something crashes). You can change this to Full, Enhanced, or Basic. You can read more about what each of these to here.
    Microsoft doesn’t let you turn off diagnostics completely, except on Enterprise versions of Windows. The Basic setting, they say, is data that is “vital to the operation of Windows”, including Windows Update and malicious software protection.

some may be duplicated. I found this info on Lifehacker, if anyone wants the full article.

Ahhzz, Mar 9, 2021
  4. No Cortana on Windows 10 build 1909

Windows 10 1909 Causes Secondary Hard Drive to not be Recognized

Installing the Windows 10 1909 Update causes my secondary hard drive to not be recognized.

Steps to confirm issue:

• Secondary drive not visible in Windows Explorer
    • Secondary drive not visible in device manager
    • Secondary drive not visible in disk manager

Steps to replicate issue:

• Installing 1909 update

Steps to resolve issue:

• Uninstall 1909 update

Since updates can only be delayed for so long, an actual fix would be appreciated.

Teknophile, Mar 9, 2021
Thema:

No Cortana on Windows 10 build 1909

1. No Cortana on Windows 10 build 1909 - Similar Threads - Cortana build 1909

2. No Cortana on Windows 10 build 1909

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Cortana on Windows 10 build 1909: Some context: I downgraded from Windows 10 20h2 because explorer.exe needed 5 minutes to start. Recently I wanted to enable Cortana. There was no 'Hey Cortana' settings. I downloaded the Cortana app from the MS Store. When I open the app it just says: "Thanks for taking an...
  3. Windows 10 1909 build 18363

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 1909 build 18363: Hi all, I have a notebook with installed Windows 10 1909 build 18363 Enterprise This is a new installation in a new notebook I work with screenshot Shift+Windos+S for customize manual, etc. But in this new notebook when I take a screenshot it appears with a SID sequence...
  4. Are there no new bugs in Windows 10 Build 1909?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Are there no new bugs in Windows 10 Build 1909?: Hello. Well, currently I'm still using Windows 10 1809, and I'm apparently updating to build 1909, so I wanted to ask if something won't get worse in 1909, if there won't be new bad bugs? Gibt es keine neue Bugs bei Windows 10 Build 1909?
  5. Need Windows 10 1909 build.

Need Windows 10 1909 build.: Hi, I need to create a 1909 install media. The Windows 10 Media Creation website only hosts the latest build. I was able to get a hold of a 1909 .iso using Rufus download, but it will not flash a bootable flash drive that's bootable with secure boot turned ON. Does...
  6. Windows 10 1511 to build 1909

Windows 10 1511 to build 1909: Is it possible to go from build 1511 to Build 1909? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-1511-to-build-1909/0375d3dd-cbac-402e-bb31-48d983760c48
  7. BSOD : Windows 10 1909, build 18363.778

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD : Windows 10 1909, build 18363.778: Dear Team I have recived BYOD on system, below is the brief view of the errors using minidump, its happening on a often now. I have all system and drivers up-to-date. Any advise/help would be highly appreitated. Dump File Crash Time Bug Check String Bug Check Code...
  8. 1909 build of windows 10 will not install.

1909 build of windows 10 will not install.: I can't update to the 1909 build, no matter what I do. The previous 1903 build gave me the option of choosing a time/date, which I did, & then it promptly disappeared as an option! When the 1909 came along, I hit update now... and after hours & hours, it shut itself off,...
  9. Windows 10 Vers 1909 Build 18363.720

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Vers 1909 Build 18363.720: Since I have been a Windows 10 user 2016 til now, it seems every time they have done an update since the original OEM version on my HP laptop until this most recent update KB4551762 something ends up not working and screws me up for days! One of the first updates resulted...
  10. Windows 10 1909 Build: 18363.592

Windows 10 1909 Build: 18363.592: Hello, so I have just found out, whilst using Unigine Benchmark 4.0; That my version of windows may not be what it appears to be. I have also notice there have been past posts but a similar if not the exact same issue. I want this brought to Microsoft's attention and they...