Windows 10: No default apps present, and nothing works.

Discus and support No default apps present, and nothing works. in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; So a month ago I recieved a new computer running Windows 10. While I was setting up, I noticed that most apps like calculator, maps, messaging,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by VovasubMegam 2, Jul 12, 2021.

1. No default apps present, and nothing works.

So a month ago I recieved a new computer running Windows 10. While I was setting up, I noticed that most apps like calculator, maps, messaging, feedback hub, Microsoft Store are missing. I tried opening them, but a message kept popping up saying "you'll need a new app to open this ms-app name."I tried doing several methods to reinstall these default apps using some methods on the internet, here are the results:Get-AppXPackage Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$$_.InstallLocation\AppXManifest.xml"}Blank screen.Restart your computerNothing happens.sfc /scannowNo

:)

VovasubMegam 2, Jul 12, 2021

2. Default apps are not working in Windows 10

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the default apps on your computer, let us try the troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device and check if it helps.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of accessing the default apps for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jul 12, 2021
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done No default apps present, and nothing works. :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 12, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

No default apps present, and nothing works.

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

No default apps present, and nothing works. [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

No default apps present, and nothing works. [​IMG]

Thema:

No default apps present, and nothing works.

1. No default apps present, and nothing works. - Similar Threads - default apps present

2. Are python.exe and python3.exe present under "App Execution aliases" By default ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are python.exe and python3.exe present under "App Execution aliases" By default ?: Are these two items in the App execution aliases installed by a 3rd party app ? or are they there by default ? Do all Windows 10 OSes have these two items by default ?...
  3. Are python.exe and python3.exe present under "App Execution aliases" By default ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are python.exe and python3.exe present under "App Execution aliases" By default ?: Are these two items in the App execution aliases installed by a 3rd party app ? or are they there by default ? Do all Windows 10 OSes have these two items by default ?...
  4. Are python.exe and python3.exe present under "App Execution aliases" By default ?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. How to change my default apps to NOTHING on W10?

How to change my default apps to NOTHING on W10?: I'm so annoyed. I don't know what I did, but all my package files are opening with internet explorer icons, and when I reset my default apps, it says the default is Windows Explorer. How can I change it to NOTHING? Don't tell me to reset it again literally; I tried 3 times....
  6. Firewall and default apps are not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Firewall and default apps are not working: Few months back my xbox bar was not working. Then I tried to reinstall it through Microsoft Store but I just can't reinstall it. Then after few days Microsoft Store stopped working. It just won't open. I reset it through Settings->Apps but it still won't open. Then I...
  7. default apps stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    default apps stopped working: After April update, default apps stopped working. How can I fix the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-apps-stopped-working/236e81ce-f0cd-48ce-9c12-c83a42310a63
  8. Default Gateway is Not Available - NOTHING WORKS(event log included)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Default Gateway is Not Available - NOTHING WORKS(event log included): Tried all of the troubleshooting tips...finally did a repair reset of Windows as a last resort - still nothing. Getting frequent and random disconnects every ten or so minutes. Was having this issue before the latest massive OS update, and seemed to be able to fix via one...
  9. Set default presentation not working correctly since 1903 update

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Set default presentation not working correctly since 1903 update: Hi, Windows 10 struggles to memorize the default file presentation (sort order, icon size, etc.) I set in File Explorer via the traditional procedure: "View>Options>View tab>Apply to all folders." For instance: When I set presentation A (very large icons, sort by date)...
  10. Changing default app not working

Changing default app not working: I installed Windows 10 Education 1803, and installed Notepad++, which is in my opinion, a far better Notepad. So I changed XML, TXT and other types of files' defaults to Notepad++. However, no matter what, they'll always open with their stock Notepad (or WordPad for XML...