Windows 10: No desktop after latest Cumulative update

Discus and support No desktop after latest Cumulative update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, last night I updated to the latest cumulative update ( KB4565503), however when I started my PC today, all I am greeted with is a black screen.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/epsynus, Jul 16, 2020.

1. No desktop after latest Cumulative update

Hello, last night I updated to the latest cumulative update ( KB4565503), however when I started my PC today, all I am greeted with is a black screen.

I can access the task manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL and can through that open up things like Firefox, a folder, etc. But I do not get a desktop, nor a start menu or anything like that.

If I restart explorer.exe, nothing changes.

If I try and open up the settings app, nothing at all happens.

If I go to manage user accounts and go to "Manager another account", then try and add a new user it comes up with an error "Class not registered"

I imagine that explorer or some related components have critically failed during the update that caused this.

Now I tried running a "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth"

and it reports back with "No component store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully".

I would very much prefer it if I didn't have to completely reinstall my pc, so what would you suggest I try to solve this?

I am currently on Windows 10 Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.388)

Thank you for any help.

submitted by /u/epsynus
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/epsynus, Jul 16, 2020

2. Windows 10 - Some parts of the UI not working after the latest cumulative update

I'm running Windows 10 build 18362.295. Last day i checked for updates and installed the available cumulative update including the OS security updates. After the installation of these updates i started facing the below issues which happens often (sometime everything is working properly)

• Some parts of the GUI (on every window) is not working
    • I'm not able to use my touchpad gesture controls
    • Not able to click task bar icons, start button or anything on my task bar
    • It automatically triggers right click

I tried these methods to solve the issue:

• Tried uninstalling the latest cumulative updates, visiting Installed updates. But it is not showing uninstall option. I also tried the command line method but that too didn't work.
    • I ran these commands and restarted my PC,

As per View update history i have,

As per Installed Updates

I'm able to do all UI interaction using only keyboard, but not able to do the same using my external mouse or touch pad. As already mentioned these issues started after the recent updates. I tried searching google, but no where i found any useful information or problem similar to this.

Update

As pointed out by @john, i was not on the latest build. So i checked for updates again and installed updates.

Now the View Update History window shows this,

And Installed Updates window shows this,

I'm now on the latest build 18362.329

Mr Employee, Jul 16, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    June 2016 Cumulative Update impacted my Desktop

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to uninstall the Cumulative update and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• Go to control panel, then click on
      Programs and Features.

• Tap on View installed updates, then find the update.

• Right click on the update and uninstall the update.

And also you can temporarily disable the
    Cumulative update.

Refer the link below.

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, Jul 16, 2020
  4. Rose Cal Win User

No desktop after latest Cumulative update

My desktop won't restart windows after latest update Jan2018

Hi Max,

It is possible that you're desktop won't start after the update due to corrupted system files. To assist you better, we'd like to know the troubleshooting steps you've done so far.

In the meantime, we suggest that you check and follow the steps shared by
    Ganesh K R
    and AnthonyJose on these threads below about troubleshooting Windows 10 won't boot after update:

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jul 16, 2020
Thema:

No desktop after latest Cumulative update

1. No desktop after latest Cumulative update - Similar Threads - desktop latest Cumulative

2. Issues after latest windows 10 cumulative update KB5007186

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues after latest windows 10 cumulative update KB5007186: Is anyone else having problems after the latest update?Yesterday my laptop was working fine. As usual I let it just go into hibernation while I was busy doing other things.When I returned I my laptop would not wake up from hibernation. When I tried to wake it up I finally had...
  3. Desktop refuses to download/install latest cumulative H2 update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Desktop refuses to download/install latest cumulative H2 update?: any idea how I can overcome this? I also tried manually downloading and installing from microsoft catalog, but to no avail. 181805
  4. Desktop refuses to download/install latest cumulative H2 update?

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop refuses to download/install latest cumulative H2 update?: any idea how I can overcome this? I also tried manually downloading and installing from microsoft catalog, but to no avail. 181805
  5. No Discord sound while streaming after latest cumulative update.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No Discord sound while streaming after latest cumulative update.: Yesterday was fine, not friend can't hear streaming sound . The only thing that I did was install the latest Win 10 update, could it be the issue? submitted by /u/Vigilantix [link] [comments]...
  6. Problem with the latest Cumulative Windows Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with the latest Cumulative Windows Update: I updated 3 of my home computers about a week ago with the latest Cumulative Windows Update i.e Windows 10 Home, version 1909, build 18363.752. Everything went smoothly without any hiccup. However, since then my workhorse desktop DELL XPS 8700 became sluggish seemingly with...
  7. Latest Cumulative Updates

in Windows 10 Customization
    Latest Cumulative Updates: Since KB4512941 and KB4511555 update yesterday i noticed the reset option in the advance option on most of the windows apps the details do not display correctly. [ATTACH]...
  8. Downloads folder after latest cumulative update

in Windows 10 Support
    Downloads folder after latest cumulative update: Hi, my PC just installed the cumulative update that stated I needed to update the April 2018 update or something. Anyway, my downloads folder now has these horizontal organizers that read, "A long time ago", "Earlier this year", "Last month", etc. How do I remove or turn...
  9. Latest cumulative update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Latest cumulative update: KB4340917 (OS Build 17134.191) will not update and is causes many problems on my PC such as opening up setting and trying to log off. All freeze up. Tried troubleshooting and nothing changed same thing....
  10. screen resolution changed after latest cumulative update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    screen resolution changed after latest cumulative update: My laptop downloaded and installed the latest major Windows 10 update this morning (took several hours!), and now my screen resolution has changed - the icons and text are all way too big. There are no system restore points available, so I cannot revert to earlier working...