Windows 10: No desktop icons and can't click on anything after failed Windows 10 1809 feature update

Discus and support No desktop icons and can't click on anything after failed Windows 10 1809 feature update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I have just received my 3rd PC in two weeks here at my PC repair workshop all this exact same fault. Some sort of failure to install windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarkOz68, Nov 30, 2018.

1. MarkOz68 Win User

No desktop icons and can't click on anything after failed Windows 10 1809 feature update

Hi all,

I have just received my 3rd PC in two weeks here at my PC repair workshop all this exact same fault. Some sort of failure to install windows 10 1809 feature update results in:

- A black desktop with just the Recycle Bin showing. No other icons.
    - When I click on Recycle Bin it says "An attempt was made to reference a token that does not exist"
    - The Taskbar is visible but I cannot click on anything or open the start menu.
    - CTRL-ALT-DEL works though.

This is what I have tried, without success:
    - Ctrl-Alt-Del, then did a SHIFT-Restart to get into recovery/advanced start-up mode, then
    - Tried to go back to previous version of Windows 10 – FAILED.
    - Tried to go back to the newest System Restore point just before the update – Restore completes successfully, but doesn’t solve the problem.

It seems like a corrupt user profile. The best I have come up with so far is to back up the users folders, then fresh install Windows 10.

This is bad. Three PC’s all with the same issue and this is following the other disasters with original release of 1809!!!

The 1809 upgrade needs to be pulled down immediately…again.

:)

MarkOz68, Nov 30, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Windows 10 desktop icons not in order

In ccleaner, did you uncheck cleaning the icon cache... have not used in a while; however, I think that is what the option is called.

Now, if you are setting the icons and they move after you have set the settings and not changed them... you may have the "Random Windows 10 Icon movement problem".
    Some people have this and some don't.

Here is a thread on the problem at Windows10 forums: Windows 10: Folder View Settings and Desktop Icon Positions Not Saving

95Viper, Nov 30, 2018
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Nov 30, 2018
  4. No desktop icons and can't click on anything after failed Windows 10 1809 feature update

Windows vista x64 computer icon always changing

what icons are you referring to?
    In the Windows Explorer list or desktop?

twicksisted, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

No desktop icons and can't click on anything after failed Windows 10 1809 feature update

1. No desktop icons and can't click on anything after failed Windows 10 1809 feature update - Similar Threads - desktop icons can't

2. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't click anything on desktop: Hello all.Sometimes, I cannot click anything while using windows, including interacting with apps, minimizing/closing them, and interacting with the taskbar. The only fix for this is ctrl+alt+delete. Is there any fix for this? I've tried:DISMsfc /scannowAlso, sometimes my...
  3. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't click anything on desktop: Hello all.Sometimes, I cannot click anything while using windows, including interacting with apps, minimizing/closing them, and interacting with the taskbar. The only fix for this is ctrl+alt+delete. Is there any fix for this? I've tried:DISMsfc /scannowAlso, sometimes my...
  4. Can't click anything on desktop

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can't click on the anything in the desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't click on the anything in the desktop: Was working just an hr ago after I did a refresh and somehow while I was installing my games. The desktop stopped working. I went into the event file and saw this. Any help please. Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 1/23/2021...
  6. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fails: I want my money back -- Bill Gates do you hear me? Quit writing about what a great teacher Feynman was and take a minute to either write me a cheque or come on over and fix it yourself. This update install (Windows 10 or whatever) update consistently fails. Not only that,...
  7. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fail: My update is failing during the reboot phase with an error code of 0x80070003 The screen goes black then it comes up saying its undoing all the changes Any help will be appreciated...
  8. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fails

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fails: I have two PC's, (a desktop & a notebook) both have Intel chipsets and are current at Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1803, build 17134.471. When doing a windows update to version 1809 it downloads the feature then gives me an error message, then after a few minutes it...
  9. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fail

Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 fail: My update is failing during the reboot phase with an error code of 0x80070003 The screen goes black then it comes up saying its undoing all the changes Any help will be appreciated...
  10. Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Click On Anything In Desktop?: Greetings! So I have been having this PC problem for perhaps a week or so now? One time when I awoke from sleep, when I logged in today, and then sometimes when I am using my PC. So what happens is, randomly I cannot click on any desktop icons(left click and right click...