Windows 10: No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...

Discus and support No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; It's all in the title. When I login, there are no desktop icons. If I click a few times the screen will flash and go back to how it was. Clicking on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Cqrbon, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Cqrbon Win User

No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...

It's all in the title. When I login, there are no desktop icons. If I click a few times the screen will flash and go back to how it was. Clicking on the Taskbar results in the same thing. I've tried opening task manager by ctrl Alt delete and by ctrl shift escape, but it doesn't do anything. If I press the windows button on my keyboard nothing happens.

:)

Cqrbon, Aug 3, 2020
  2. ke5tgd Win User

File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu.

File Explorer won't open from Taskbar or Start menu and right click on files and folders (In file explorer and on desktop) is not working and causes explorer.exe to freeze. File explorer does open from desktop folder and shortcuts as well as "open file location" in task manager. The problem goes away after restart but returns soon after. Restarting explorer.exe does not fix the problem.

ke5tgd, Aug 3, 2020
  3. rboppy Win User
    File Explorer won't open

It starts but won't open a window on the desktop. Just happened, so I restarted (had to wait for an update to be installed*Mad), then after the restart, it still won't open, click the icon on the task bar, keystroke flag+E, click the icon on the start menu. The task bar shows all 3 windows and when I hover the mouse I see all three, the won't open.

Any ideas?

rboppy, Aug 3, 2020
  4. DougieC Win User

No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,...

Windows 10 Start Menu won't open.

Start menu won't open. Right-clicking Start menu icon to get options does not work.

Taskbar doesn't work properly (right clicking doesn't open menus for apps, taskbar settings won't open). Apps can still be opened from taskbar by left clicking, but the taskbar sits on top of applications that should be full-screen.

Win-X does not work. Win-R does, but ms-settings won't open.

Updates appear to be current, according to anti-virus, but Windows update settings won't open to confirm.

Restarting has been tried multiple times via Ctrl-Alt-Del, and appears to have no effect.

sfc/scannow has been run as per older threads on this topic and reports no faults.

dism...systemhealth scans and checks also run as per older threads on the same topic and report no faults.

Haven't been able to set up a new admin account because ms-settings won't open.

I am wary of starting a system reset as I do not wish to lose app data.

DougieC, Aug 3, 2020
Thema:

1. No desktop icons, start menu won't open, Taskbar won't open, task manager won't open,... - Similar Threads - desktop icons start

2. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  3. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  4. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open: Hello. I'm having a big issue with my Windows 10 desktop. When I boot it up and log in, no desktop icons appear. Only the background. The taskbar is frozen and I cannot get task manager to open, nor can I use Win+R. I can get to the ctrl+alt+del menu but when I click on task...
  5. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open: Hello. I'm having a big issue with my Windows 10 desktop. When I boot it up and log in, no desktop icons appear. Only the background. The taskbar is frozen and I cannot get task manager to open, nor can I use Win+R. I can get to the ctrl+alt+del menu but when I click on task...
  6. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Start menu won't open

Start menu won't open: I tried everything including: sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and some more but, sfc gives me an error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. and DISM gives me...
  8. Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons not appearing, taskbar frozen, task manager won't open: Hello. I'm having a big issue with my Windows 10 laptop. When I boot it up and log in, no desktop icons appear. Only the background. The taskbar is frozen and I cannot get task manager to open, nor can I use Win+R. I can get to the ctrl+alt+del menu but when I click on task...
  9. Start Menu won't open

Start Menu won't open: The start menu won't open on my computer. I checked the Windows System log and found: Unable to start a DCOM Server: Microsoft.Windows.StartMenuExperienceHost_10.0.19041.423_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy!App as Unavailable/Unavailable. The error: "2147958016" Happened...
  10. Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu won't open from taskbar on the desktop: I upgraded to Windows 10 last night and have had nothing but problems. The biggest one is the fact that I cannot open the start menu, I had worked around it by right clicking it and then selecting what I needed from there. However now that doesn't even work. Any help...