Windows 10: No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor

Discus and support No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After logging in to my account I am met with a black screen and a cursor and that's it. There are numerous solutions that I have looked into that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by epicenigma, Jun 13, 2020.

1. No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor

After logging in to my account I am met with a black screen and a cursor and that's it. There are numerous solutions that I have looked into that didn't work. I am able to open task manager. The issue persists in Safe Mode.

This issue is localised to one user account. The other user account works fine. I logged in to the other account and updated my graphics drivers. The issue still persists. Pressing Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B to refresh the graphics drivers does not fix the problem either.

Opening task manager, selecting "run new task" and typing in "explorer" does nothing. Trying to do the same thing with "cmd.exe" will either do nothing or cause task manager to hang. On the working user account I ran "sfc /scannow", it said there were errors that were automatically fixed but the issue is still there.

Someone suggested restarting Shell Infrastructure Host or "sihost.exe". Doing so from the "run new task" menu will do nothing. Doing so by finding it in the list of running processes and ending the task does nothing interestingly, everytime I do this specific way of ending the sihost task, a new "Windows Explorer" process is created, the issue still persists.

Right clicking a process and clicking "open file location" will open explorer. The issue still persists and explorer is prone to crash while attempting to navigate it. Task Manager is also prone to crash if you try to run a new task with admin privileges. If it doesn't crash then it simply appears to do nothing. I should also mention that Task Manager has an abnormally high CPU usage of 10-20% at times, I think this is from trying to run new tasks.

When I first encountered the issue on the night of June 12 yesterday, I first tried to restart, and had to update to be able to restart so I don't believe the update caused it. It worked fine during the day of June 12. A family member used the other user account to print something. When they were finished I attempted to go back to my user account and encountered this issue. My guess is instability occurred due to trying to share resources between the two accounts? I was running a high end game, many chrome tabs and Discord which is also memory intensive.

Specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit specific version unknown, had just updated last night

16 GB DDR3 RAM

Nivdia GeForce GTX 1050Ti

Intel i7-2600K @ 3.40 GHz

:)

epicenigma, Jun 13, 2020
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Black screen after Windows update.

Hi Crystel,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

• Were you able to get to the desktop screen after you restarted the system?
    • When the screen was blank, were you able to see the cursor on the screen?
    • Did you get any error code or error message?

Please get back to us with answers to above questions, for us to suggest the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Meanwhile, I suggest to try the steps mentioned in the article below and let us know if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors

We look forward for your reply.

Thanks,

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Jun 13, 2020
  3. Black screen with cursor after Windows 10 update

Cyril Robinson AzariahJ, Jun 13, 2020
  4. OoiCW Win User

No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor

Black screen with cursor after Windows 10 update

Let's replicate the issue.

You power on the PC >> Get the login screen >> You sign-in with password or PIN >> You then get the black screen with white cursor.

This has nothing to do with display drivers or issue with graphics itself. The Microsoft App service is causing this issue.

While we are at the black screen with white cursor, go ahead and press the keys - Ctrl+Alt+Del

>You will get a menu on screen where you have to select - Task Manager.

>Go to 'Services' tab on the Task Manager.

>Look for 'AppReadiness' service.

>Right click and stop it.

Performing above steps will remove the black screen and show your desktop. This means, the desktop was ready at the back-end. It was Microsoft service that was causing the black screen in the front.

Once you get your desktop back, follow the below steps to stop the 'AppReadiness' completely.

>Click on Start and type 'Services'

>Look for 'AppReadiness' under the list.

>Right click and select 'Properties'

>Startup type should be set to 'Disabled'

>Set the 'Service Status' to Stopped.

Stopping this service will not affect your data.

try oledi, no luck....the "AppReadiness" status is oledi "STOP".....

OoiCW, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor

1. No Desktop or Taskbar. Only a black screen with a cursor - Similar Threads - Desktop Taskbar black

2. Black screen desktop monitor with cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen desktop monitor with cursor: Hi there! My desktop is suddenly not working. I was able to use it last night and when i tried to use it again the monitor is black with a cursor on the upper left of the monitor. I timried to unplug the cables and plug them again but to no avail. I have also tried...
  3. Black screen desktop monitor with cursor

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen desktop monitor with cursor: Hi there! My desktop is suddenly not working. I was able to use it last night and when i tried to use it again the monitor is black with a cursor on the upper left of the monitor. I timried to unplug the cables and plug them again but to no avail. I have also tried...
  4. Black screen desktop monitor with cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problem with black screen with cursor and no working taskbar.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with black screen with cursor and no working taskbar.: Hi, I have an Asus Vivobook 15 laptop running Windows 11. I tried to download something from Microsoft Store but it won't work so I reseted it. After that I saw that it freezed reseting so I updated my Windows. After the update Microsoft Store dissapeared and I rebooted the...
  6. Windows black screen with cursor only

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows black screen with cursor only: Hey community I have a issue. When I log in with my account ot takes too time to log in and shows only black screen with cursor when I restart my laptop again its shows black screen again and when I restart again then I got my desktop... pls help me to fix this issue I never...
  7. Black screen of death with cursor and taskbar

Black screen of death with cursor and taskbar: I have the windows installation download on a USB but the computer is refusing to run the download and saying the system isn't ready https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-of-death-with-cursor-and-taskbar/953fd52b-8a59-45ef-b7e9-99c9a97da03f
  8. Black screen with only the cursor mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with only the cursor mouse: I had windows 10 on my computer but today I installed Windows 7 and the desktop crashed and didn't even load the icons, so I tried to start in safe mode and it got worse because now only a black screen appears with the mouse pointer after "starting windows" appears, help me...
  9. Windows stuck at black screen with cursor only

Windows stuck at black screen with cursor only: I need help.... my laptop (asus x550j) suddenly froze and i force shut it, then after it finished booting, there is nothing on the screen except the cursor, here are the some info that maybe might help. 1. Can't access ctrl+alt+del menu, 2. Windows RE is the same, black...
  10. Black screen and cursor only

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen and cursor only: I have black screen and cursor only Tried opening task manager to run a new task to add in explorer.exe. Task manager then decides to close when i hit run new task. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated 84632

Users found this page by searching for:

1. shell infrastructure host