Windows 10: No device settings under mouse options when trying to disable touchpad

Discus and support No device settings under mouse options when trying to disable touchpad in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am attempting to disable touchpad while a mouse is connected. I was able to do it on previous laptops with Windows 10 with no problem.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jeffrey Coker, Jun 15, 2019.

1. No device settings under mouse options when trying to disable touchpad

Hello,

I am attempting to disable touchpad while a mouse is connected. I was able to do it on previous laptops with Windows 10 with no problem. However, I just purchased an HP laptop with Windows 10, and that option is not available. I go under Mouse Properties, and I know that I would go to Device Settings on the far right tab, but that is not there. Any suggestions on how to disable the touchpad without this? Thanks in advance.

:)

Jeffrey Coker, Jun 15, 2019
  2. nxavis9 Win User

I want to disable touchpad on Dell laptop

Hello everyone,
    My laptop's touchpad works and I don't want it to, because I prefer a mouse. It's a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 series on windows 10 OS.

What I have tried that hasn't worked:
    • start<settings<devices<mouse & touchpad<additional mouse options. This opens a window called Mouse Options which has 5 tabs up top, none of which involve the touchpad. The Hardware tab shows 2 devices: the mouse itself, and the USB. No touchpad there.
    • windows key+x<mobility center. No touchpad to be found.
    • various function keys. No options for touchpad on/off.
    • device manager<mice and other pointing devices. Again, only the mouse and usb show up. It appears the touchpad is working without a driver, which is a little spooky.
    Any other suggestions? I could try downloading a third party driver, but that seems like a step in the wrong direction.
    Thanks

nxavis9, Jun 15, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Disable Touchpad and use External mouse

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you want to disable the TouchPad of your laptop and want to use an external USB mouse.

To use an external USB mouse, please connect the USB mouse to any USB port on your laptop and it will be set up automatically.

To disable the touchpad you can try the following steps and check if that helps:

1. Press and hold Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager from the list.
    3. Expand Mice and other pointing devices.
    4. Find Synaptics SMBus TouchPad/ELANClickpad touchpad.
    5. Right click on the driver and select Disable.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jun 15, 2019
  4. MrsKK1962 Win User

No device settings under mouse options when trying to disable touchpad

Trying to disable touchpad

I finally found the way to disable it.

Settings

- Mouse and touchpad

- Additional mouse options

- Device settings tab

The touchpad driver shows up in the Devices box and once highlighted, there is the option of disabling the touchpad when an external pointing device is detected.

This works perfectly for me.

MrsKK1962, Jun 15, 2019
Thema:

No device settings under mouse options when trying to disable touchpad

1. No device settings under mouse options when trying to disable touchpad - Similar Threads - device settings under

2. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  3. Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Touchpad When Mouse is Connected: Please, bring back this option or else tell me how I can do this.I bought a laptop so that I could be portable. But since taking away the checkbox for disabling the touchpad, I've had to connect a keyboard, because the palms of my hands inadvertently always touch the touchpad...
  4. Touchpad: LOST OPTION to Disable the Touchpad when a Mouse is Connected All Drivers Up to...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad: LOST OPTION to Disable the Touchpad when a Mouse is Connected All Drivers Up to...: After the latest flurry late June 2021 of Windows 10 Updates, my formerly disabled Synaptics Touchpad on my HP Laptop is not only Not Disabled, but the selector "Leave Touchpad on when a Mouse is Connected" usually found in Settings:Devices:Touchpad had disappeared. Not only...
  5. Disable touchpad when mouse is connected option is gone.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disable touchpad when mouse is connected option is gone.: When I go to settings and go to devices, the disable touchpad when mouse is connected option is gone. My system info https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-touchpad-when-mouse-is-connected-option-is/83e5d388-7667-4066-958f-65a7cfdb3d03
  6. mouse not disabling touchpad

mouse not disabling touchpad: mouse not disabling touchpad https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mouse-not-disabling-touchpad/1e36e4be-29f9-416e-b35b-679cbf16f790
  7. When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When "enable touchpad despite a mouse being present" is disabled, the touchpad disables...: What the title says. It's an MSI GE65 Raider 9SF laptop, running Windows 10 Pro. I disabled this option so that a the touchpad is disabled when I have an USB mouse connected, but the thing is that it's disabled even when a mouse isn't present? I booted up my laptop today in...
  8. Touchpad not disabled when mouse is connected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Touchpad not disabled when mouse is connected: All the sudden, the touchpad of my HP Spectre laptop is not being disabled when I connect a mouse to it. And I can't find the disabling button in Setting anymore. How can I fix it?...
  9. disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached

disabling touchpad when external mouse is attached: After one of the most recent Microsoft Windows 10 updates, a feature on our HP Spectre x360 notebook stopped working. Prior to that update, we could enter touchpad setting, additional settings, and click on 'disable internal pointing device when external pointing device is...
  10. Touchpad disabled when mouse is removed

Touchpad disabled when mouse is removed: If I remove my mouse for my laptop the touch pad is disabled. I have it enabled in device manager, but I have the option for it to be turned off when a mouse is connected. If I turn off the feature of having the touch pad disabled when a mouse is connected, disconnecting the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mice pointer