Windows 10: no disk in external drive in windows 10

Discus and support no disk in external drive in windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; no disk found in external drive in windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BillRhinow, Dec 8, 2018.

1. no disk in external drive in windows 10

no disk found in external drive in windows 10

:)

BillRhinow, Dec 8, 2018
  2. Micah Bat Win User

External drives and Windows 10 issue

Since you are having multiple issues with Windows 10, we suggest you to run a System File Checker (SFC) and Deployment Image Servicing (DISM) to look into the system for possible corruption. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X
    • On the menu which should pop-up on the lower-left side of your screen, click
      Command Prompt (admin)
    • Type the following on Command Prompt (wait for the SFC scan to finish before running DISM):

sfc /scannow

dism /online /restorehealth /cleanup-image

Check the result of the scans, and if it states that it was able to fix some corrupted files, simply restart your computer to apply the fix and check if the issue persists.

Regarding your external hard disk, we suggest you to update your USB Hard Disk drivers. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click Device Manager.
    • Find the disk drive for your external hard disk.
    • Right-click your disk drive.
    • Click Update Driver Software.
    • A new windows will prompt, click Search automatically for updated driver software.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Dec 8, 2018
  3. External disk drive not showing up

Check if the drive is assigned a drive letter.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

If you see your drive listed there, but no drive letter, right click it

Click Change Drive Letter and Paths

Click Add

Click Assign the following drive letter

Click in the Drive letter list box

Choose a drive letter - try choosing letters near the end of the alphabet

Click OK

Click OK again

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Disk drives

Right click the external drive

Click uninstall

Exit Device Manager, restart then check if its detected.

or

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Dec 8, 2018
  4. Micah Bat Win User

no disk in external drive in windows 10

External drives and Windows 10 issue

Hi Sal,

There are many possible causes why your external hard disk is set to read-only. It can be that your external hard disk has a bad sector that appears to be defective. One of the possible reason of having a bad sector on your hard disk is if it's infected
    by a malware or a virus. We would suggest you to run a Check Disk to scan your external hard disk for bad sectors. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Go to File Explorer.
    • Right-click on your external hard disk.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Tools.
    • Click Check (Under the Error checking portion).
    • Upon clicking, it will open a new window. Click Scan
      drive

Also, we would suggest you to scan your external hard disk for malware and viruses. You can use Microsoft Safety Scanner by following
    this link. Be guided that this software expires after 10 days and it is not a replacement for using an antivirus software program that
    provides a real-time protection.

Micah Bat, Dec 8, 2018
Thema:

no disk in external drive in windows 10

1. no disk in external drive in windows 10 - Similar Threads - disk external drive

2. external hard disk drive is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hard disk drive is not working: I have a Lenovo e470 laptop with windows 10 pro 1909 version OS. It is an office laptop hence it has certain security locks and administrative set ups. Now the issue is...I have a Seagate 1TB HDD which I have been using on this laptop for the last 4+ years. Suddenly since...
  3. external hard disk drive is not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external hard disk drive is not working: I have a Lenovo e470 laptop with windows 10 pro 1909 version OS. It is an office laptop hence it has certain security locks and administrative set ups. Now the issue is...I have a Seagate 1TB HDD which I have been using on this laptop for the last 4+ years. Suddenly since...
  4. Missing D: External Disk Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Missing D: External Disk Drive: Hi, I've had my AlienWare PC for about 4 months now, and recently I can't find my external hard drive. My OS C: is still here, but My D: drive is missing, and I can't find it in File Explorer or Device Manager. Please help....
  5. External disk drive

External disk drive: My PC is not recognising my external cd drive. I have tried the different USB ports. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-disk-drive/32aaf7e1-e362-411e-9227-435eb1bb89bc
  6. External Disk Drive Recovery -- HELP!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Disk Drive Recovery -- HELP!: Hello -- a new external disk drive Maxone SlimSeries was used to save some really important information from a SP6. However, when I try to plug the external drive into mynew Surface Laptop 3, it is not recognized. I am no longer in possession of the SP6. I have tried 1...
  7. External USB disk drives

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External USB disk drives: I currently have 4 USB disk drives. Occasionally I get a notification asking how do I want to configure a couple of these. When I click on the notice nothing happens. One of these, my primary data drive, works but doesn't consistently show up in various configuration...
  8. External Hard drive disk

External Hard drive disk: Shown as access denied. Location unavailable[IMG] Cannot open my Seagate external HARD drive disk of 1.5TB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-disk/d12073f2-eb0d-4add-bfb1-2f9e4cff21de
  9. iomega external floppy disk drive on Windows 10

iomega external floppy disk drive on Windows 10: I am trying to install an iomega external floppy disk drive on Windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/iomega-external-floppy-disk-drive-on-windows-10/5e213f55-7250-4293-8eb9-c3182527c23e
  10. photo to external disk drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    photo to external disk drive: how do I burn a disk for photos https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/photo-to-external-disk-drive/267bef06-6e7d-4a48-a9a2-6ac0437608aa"